“Great Value with Old World Charm”
Review of Alpenhof Lodge

Alpenhof Lodge
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Teton Village
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We spent four nights this January at the Alpenhof and once again enjoyed the old world charm this lodging has to offer. If you are looking for clean, sleek or modern - this is not your place. The Alpenhof is an old school slopeside hotel with a lovely bistro and two glorious hotel dogs. The included breakfast is filling and a perfect start for a day on the slopes. After checking out a couple of other bars, we really enjoyed the ambiance of a post ski brew at the Bistro. The staff was always helpful and quite friendly. If you are looking for a reasonably priced alternative to the modern hotels - this is your place. We also recommend Masa Sushi for dinner over at the Inn - amazing sushi and hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babuloki

Reviewed 24 December 2011

Pathetic. I am not sure how they are still in business. After being seated, I waited approximately 2 hours to get a soggy chicken-nugget sized piece of buffalo steak that cost 25$. Our table of 8 couldn't help but burst out in laughter. For their supposedly busy christmas week there were 2 waiters...1 of which (ours) must have been stoned. There is really no other explanation for his lack of service given the number of people in our party and the lack of other people in the restaurant. Maybe the chef was testing his blingfolded, one-hand skills? Is that what took 2 hours? Or maybe they were out of buffalo and were trying to figure out the most effective way to split the one portion into the 4 requested portions for our table? Only if this was the first meal cooked by your first child could you be impressed by the quality, quantity or presentation. Ha. If you have time and money to spare and are in search of the worst utility for your cash you've found the spot.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank A L
Reviewed 9 October 2011

This was our second October trip to the Alpenhof and it was wonderful. The staff is excellent. You must remember that Teton Village is a ski resort and October is their "downtime" so most of the village is closed but if you are looking for peace and quiet and relaxation then this is for you. We had a Tyrolean king room that opens onto the front balcony and it is true about the bed. It is huge and the room was so comfortable. They upgraded us from what we had booked when we checked in and we didn't even ask. We had a Dolomite queen last year and loved it. I am looking for something different when I go here. I don't want to stay in a hotel that could be anywhere if I didn't look outside. I want that European feel and they truly deliver. I have priced the other hotels in Teton Village and you won't get a better rate. The breakfast again was perfect and enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachbird123
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed 3 nights at Alpenhof in August. The hotel definitely could use a complete makeover, but that would ruin the 60s ski lodge vibe. The beds were comfortable and the place was clean... but... dated... as in 30 years past prime. The staff was attentive, and even switched our rooms when we weren't happy with the garden view (below grade) room... no questions asked. The breakfast was perfect and the locations is IDEAL! Centrally located between Jackson and the Tetons.
The kids enjoyed Teton village (bungee, concerts, etc) and we took the gondola to the top for drinks and appetizers during happy hour (a must!). We hiked daily and enjoyed dinner in Jackson. We would stay at the Alpenhof again. Just remember, it's not the Ritz, but it was just fine for us.... and well-priced.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JKTraveler11
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stayed there 3 nites to home base our trip into Grand Tetons. We really liked it. The king bed we had was in 2 zip codes! Shower was big, pressure very good. Bath was decent size. There is plenty of shelves to put cloths. We did not choose balcony. Staff was most helpful and very courteous. The included buffet breakfast was excellent! Scrambled eggs, toast, hash browns, cereal, muffins, juices, coffee, french toast etc. were kept hot and in abundance. Hotel is adjacent to tram. PLEASE take the tram to top to see the views, amazing. We never ate at the "expensive" restaurant on 1st floor as we were always on the go. Do plan to take gondola to restaurant, the happy hour drinks are 1/2 price and the view is again breathtaking. We know this hotel has pool and spa? amenities but we did not seek them. Parking is no problem.

Room Tip: Rooms facing mountain have the view, others see parking lot.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank wudwork
Reviewed 28 July 2011

There are some positives to talk about with this hotel but unfortunately the negatives out-weigh them. This hotel is expensive....$287 per day for a double room. For that price you expect some upscale comfort but at the Alpenhof you are primarily paying for a location at the bottom of the lifts.

Based on Tripadvisor reveiws we booked this hotel. When I entered the lobby I actually thought I was in the wrong place. It had the look and feel of a 1970's family owned Super 8. Tacky and terribly tired. The hallways are dimly lighted, perhaps to hide the old, damaged woodwork and ugly suspended ceiling and stucco walls. The elevator smelled of something foul....most likely bug spray.

The double rooms are adequate size and the beds comfy. Perhaps the best thing about the rooms is a the large flat-screen TV with a good selection of channels. Our premium room with a view actually looked out onto the rock climbing wall that was busy with children. We had to keep our curtains closed since they could look right into our ground level room.

The room decor is old and tired. Attempts to make it look Austrian fall totally flat. The shower head is so low that even my wife had to duck down. The toilet is so low to the floor that it made us laugh. Water pressure is weak. There is only on waste basket for the whole room....totally inadequate. The A/C could not cool the room well enough so we kept waking up at night. Finally we decided to leave the sliding door to the deck open.

The grounds are extremely well kept...lots of beautiful flowers. The small pool s clean as is the hot tub. The hotel provides pool towels and a shower which was nice.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment was the breakfast. It was not that the food was bad. It was not. In fact, the croissant were extremely good. Unfortunately the food is kept on low tables and is not covered. Even the cereal is in open bowls from which you take a serving. We followed a family with sick children into the buffet line. All three kids were coughing directly on the food. It was really disgusting so we left and ate elsewhere for the duration of our vacation.

The restaurant food is fairly good but the room is again tired. It was one of the least busy restaurants in the village. To say that it is overpriced and just "not happening" is an understatement.

For the money, your best bet is to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dave99biker
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My children & I stayed overnight at the Alpenhof Lodge after our trip to Yellowstone. We needed just an overnight lodging to explore the Tetons before leaving the following afternoon, and could not find lodging in the Park.

The Alpenhof is an older property and there are some quaint things reflecting that...the handpainted plaques on the doors to number them, the actual brass key for your doorknob. (My kids had never seen an actual key for a hotel room! My how time has changed and I didn't even realize it!)

The room was very clean, and the bathroom was decently spacious. The pool was open, but we did not explore it...it was a little cool that evening.

There was a complimentary breakfast the next morning that was well-appointed. There were meats and cheese, eggs, pastries, cereal and waffles.

The staff was accommodating on arrival; the only staff member I felt was disinterested was the man who seated us for breakfast. He was not rude or anything, just not really enthused about the guests. He was chatting with other workers when we arrived and seemed anxious to get back to it. That's fine...I prefer not being harassed while eating! However, I did find it odd that we did not feel the famed hospitality that so many other reviews mentioned. In fact, I was a bit disappointed as I chose this hotel specifically for that reason. We are from a small town and prefer the small town hominess of a friendly face when coming back after an adventure at night, or being sent off in the morning. I'm naive I suppose, to expect to be treated as more than a passing stranger, but honestly I did expect that from the Alpenhof because of the reviews I had read on TA.

The hotel is very pricey for the room quality; I suppose you are paying for location. One thing to note if you're not familiar with the Jackson/Tetons area (we were not): There is no easy access to this hotel FROM the Tetons. You have to go down a beautiful scenic, but sometimes rough and dirt, road to get to it. The road is paved the other way into Jackson. There is no easy access to the airport either, which was our main concern with choosing a hotel. Looking at a map, it appears you can just hop over to the airport; however, because of the backroads, its quite a little jaunt. The good news is you get to see moose and maybe some other wildlife on the way!

I don't think we would choose to stay here again. There is really nothing in Teton Village except the lifts and hotels. No dining available except for hotel dining (pricey). It's quite a drive into Jackson too, to find dinner. For the price, I will plan better next time and stay at Jenny Lake or Jackson Lake in the Tetons.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Inn at Jackson Hole
Inn at Jackson Hole
#6 of 7 in Teton Village
Wyoming Inn of Jackson Hole

Been to Alpenhof Lodge? Share your experiences!