“Cozy, friendly, small (Family atmosphere), One of the first Hotels”
Review of Alpenhof Lodge

Alpenhof Lodge
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Teton Village
“Cozy, friendly, small (Family atmosphere), One of the first Hotels”
Reviewed 20 August 2007

We just returned from a 3 night stay @ Alpenhof, Teton Village.

I did book the Hotel due to the desire for some GEMUETLICHKEIT as per their website and the wish for some authentic swiss/ austrian food. We were not disappointed also I do have to say that the Hotel is older and less luxurious than anticipated. However, looking at the fact that it was one of the first ones in Teton Village they did a great job in decorating the rooms nicely w/ lots of details. There is a lot of construction going on right now due to the new GONDOLA being build as well as the new entrance etc but it did not disturb us too much - just not a pleasant view when you arrive and the tram up the mountain not working ( Bridger Gondola available) .

The staff was overall friendly and also the food was not really "authentic" ( the Hotel is no longer run by European If we Owners) it was good and certainly different from the reg american fare.

We would stay again if avail at a reasonable price - not sure what it is rated for ( guess I would rate it 3+++)

• Liked — Coziness - Family Atmo
  • Disliked — Older building
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 August 2007

This Lodge is NOT worth the risk. They have some wonderful rooms. However, they also book rooms in their attic that are absolute firetraps. We booked two rooms over six months in advance for our family with two children. The rooms they put us in were in the attic at the end of a hall that would be impossible to pass in the event of a fire. These rooms would NOT pass fire code in most states. Unless you bring your own emergency ladder or are prepared to jump 30 feet in case of a fire, I would not recommend booking with this lodge. We would have gladly paid to upgrade to one of their other rooms. However, by the time we realized we would be sleeping in a firetrap, they had no other rooms and there were no other rooms available within 30 miles. I would NOT recommend this lodge to anyone.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Being forced to sleep in a firetrap
2 Thank ctmountainman
hartford, Ct
Reviewed 6 August 2007

Jackson Hole was to be my family's last stop after 8 days in Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone. We were looking forward to spending two nights in Teton Village in a nice hotel. I contacted the Alpenhof Lodge directly in mid-February , 2007 to make reservations for August 3d and 4th, 2007 because it described itself as a lovely hotel with wonderful service. I explained that my family of 4 (myself, my husband and my two teenage boys) wanted two rooms for two nights. Without hesistation the hotel representative recommended two "Gable rooms" that were across the hall from each other on the fourth floor for $189 per night per room. I was a bit wary at the low cost of the rooms (Teton Village is usually more expensive) and asked if there were any problems with the rooms or anything that I should know about them. The representative said that these were wonderful rooms and that he was sure we would be happy. About two weeks before our trip I called the Alpenhof to confirm. It was at that point that the hotel represenative who answered the phone checked to "make sure that we knew" that the rooms had very low ceilings throughout the entirety of the rooms (not just a gabled portion,) were very small and that we had to walk up a flight of stairs to get to them (the elevator only went to the third floor.) This was all news to me. I have stayed in "gabled" rooms in lovely inns with a limited ceiling area in one part of the room but never a gabled room with a low ceiling throughout the entire room. When the representative told me this information I asked to be moved but by then the hotel (and the entire town of Jackson and Teton Village) were sold out for that very crowded weekend. I honestly called every possible accomodation and could not find two rooms for the two nights we needed. The Alpenhof did have one other room available for the first night for two of us which was located on a different floor, but they told us that we would have to move the next day. I took that offer but then switched back to the original room because I didn't want to be on a different floor from my children. When we arrived at the Alpenhof the person behind the desk was kind but young, untrained and completely unhelpful and unknowledgeable. I would not describe this hotel as anything better than basic accompodations. The carpeting is old and the hallways are dark. It is not charming or quaint - it is old and tired. I have seen nicer and better maintained hostels. The registration form we were given had the wrong room rate (a higher one) and my husband caught the error. There was not a bellman in sight to help us up to the fourth floor of the hotel. When we got off the elevator on the third floor there was a sign leading up to the fourth floor which led us to a back stairway up to the attic. There were only two other rooms on the entire floor and one of them is used as the hotel's massage room. When we opened the doors we were shocked that the hotel was renting out these rooms. They were fire traps. There was not a fire exit on the end of the hotel and the only fire exit on the floor was via a set of wood stairs through a wood door. The fire sprinklers looked to be in disrepair and many were unhinged from the walls. The ceilings were so low that my 5'10" husband felt like he had to hunch over while he was in the room. My older son felt claustrophobic (a problem he has never had before.) The tiny rooms had nice linens but they were attic closets that someone had slapped a coat of paint on - there is no other way to describe it. Disappointment quickly turned into anger that the hotel could possibly think it was acceptable, let alone safe, to rent out these rooms to anyone - but it seemed even more offensive that they had rented the rooms to a family with children. I was especially angry that the original staffmember who made the reservation back in February had not informed me honestly about the rooms when it would have been possible to find accomodations elsewhere. We went back downstairs and explained that we thought these rooms were not only substandard but unsafe. We were told that there were no rooms available for either day except the one room on another floor for only one night that had a queen bed. There was no way that I was going to leave my kids alone in that fire trap of a room on the fourth floor so my husband and I stayed in the attic room we were given across from our kids. I spent the first four hours of my limited time in Jackson calling every local hotel looking for any alternative but the town was filled to capacity. Before we went to sleep I took one of my kids' keys so we could get into their room in case of fire and I really didn't sleep well on either night because I felt unsafe. As an added bonus our rooms were located over the kitchen exhaust fan and, after a night of fitful sleep I was woken up at 6:00 a.m. to the overwhelming smell of cooking sausage. Any hotel that would misrepresent their accomodations, rent out rooms such as the ones we were given, and which took no steps to help when they realized how distressed we were, is not a place that I could recommend to anyone. Do not stay here!!!!

• Disliked — Our rooms were in the attic and were unsafe.
7 Thank winstonct
The_Alpenhof, Manager at Alpenhof Lodge, responded to this review, 23 August 2007
We are always disappointed when a guest of the Alpenhof Lodge has a less than satisfying experience while staying with us. Unfortunately when they came to us to express their dissatisfaction there was little we could do as all of our rooms were booked as was the entire valley. We were happy to give a refund, however, there were no available options for the guests.

The Alpenhof did provide the rooms that were booked. We never sell the gable rooms as anything more than they are. These rooms are in the hotel gables on the 4th floor of the hotel which does not have elevator access. They are small and economical. Guests who stay in these rooms love them as they remind them of rooms in small Austrian and German guesthouses. These rooms are in demand by past guests to such an extent that we have a waiting list in the winter. The guests who followed these two reviewers loved the room so much that they extended their stay by 2 days.

These reviews contained numerous inaccurate comments re fire, safety & other issues. The facts are these. There are four Gable rooms on the 4th floor available to guests in addition to the Massage studio and an employee overnight room. There are two staircases, not one, as there is a second emergency staircase in the center of the 4 guestrooms. All guestroom and hallway doors are fire door certified. The Alpenhof is regularly inspected by our insurance carrier for fire hazards and situations dangerous to our guests as well as by the local fire department. All fire extinguishers and the sprinkler system is certified annually. The original Alpenhof owner was a Swiss-German engineer and we are proud of the thought and energy he put into making the building safe and comfortable, a policy we have happily continued.

Coincidentally, in the week proceeding these reviewers’ stay a fire chief from another state stayed with us and complimented us on our fire safety.

This reviewer mentioned a bellman was nowhere to be found when they got to the third floor and had to climb a short flight of stairs. They neglect to mention, though, that at the time of their check-in a bellman was on duty at the front desk and the receptionist asked them twice if they’d like assistance with their bags since there was a flight of stairs involved. They declined assistance.

The smell of breakfast sausage came from a nearby hotel’s kitchen exhaust not the Alpenhof’s kitchens.

While the gable ceilings are not a standard 8 feet, they are 7’9” in the center of the room while ceiling height at the entry is 6’6”. The height is less above the headboard as can be seen clearly on our website photo.

Lastly, please know we do listen carefully to all complaints and are greatly saddened by these guests’ reaction to rooms that are loved by many of our guests.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2007

Comfortable rooms, good location for seeing Tetons, good food and a reasonable price for the Jackson area. The place has more character than a generic inn, but it's not a super high end place. I think "comfortable" is a good description.

I particularly liked the food, but I have a thing for German food. Nice deck for eating outside.

Only downside was that the hotel's (free) wireless internet access went down for a day.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Lacey lampshades were a bit much
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank qwerty9000
Connecticut
Reviewed 19 July 2007

Wonderful hotel! Very heavy Austrian Tyrol theme. Room was quaint, but large. Bed very comfortable and rooms quickly made up each morning. Great views, hot air balloons rose over the balcony every morning. Construction of nearby new golf course at present, but didn't interfer with stay, will enhance view when finished.

Food was excellent. Breakfast buffet was eagerly awaited, especially the frest fruit. Each day different menu. Loved their homemade soups. Staff couldn't be more helpful. Even wait staff were eager to help with questions and suggestions for days events.

Would recommend without hesitation.

• Liked — Warm friendly and helpful staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank Warkslass
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2007

My husband and I stayed here for the last night of our Honeymoon. We stayed in a Dolomite Queen room. Although the room was small, it had a lot of character. Carved wood furniture, beautiful bed frame--just little things that made the room very cute. We really appreciated the cleanliness of the room also.

The staff was accomodating and friendly, and they have a sweet Golden Retriever up front sometimes.

The Alpenrose restaurant was good. We did have a misunderstanding with the beef and chicken fondue--apparantly, the meat is served raw and you cook it yourself in warm beef bullion. We did not know this, and felt like we weren't cooking the meat enough. It was always too red. Paranoid feeling! The chef refused to take the meat back and cook it in the kitchen for us. We didn't understand why. That's the only reason why this reviewer didn't give a 5. But otherwise, the restaurant was fine. We REALLY enjoyed the breakfast. Beautiful fresh selection. It was the best breakfast of our whole trip. I have never eaten breakfast sausage like that before!
Overall, we would recommend this hotel to anyone--It's very homey, romantic, and authentic.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank Inblueseas77
Henderson, Nv.
Reviewed 9 July 2007

The location in Teton Village is away from the bustle of Jackson.
Travel to the various places to see and things to do was easy, as the location, although somewhat remote, seemed to be central. When traveling north from Teton Village there is a 2 mile stretch of dirt road and about 6 miles of narrow paved road. Except for the dust, it is not a problem for the average sedan. This road is closed in winter.
I booked 2 rooms for 3 nights each 6 months in advance based upon the reviews. The reviews were correct! Front desk staff were friendly and informative; the room was clean,well light and cheerful with a desk, 2 chairs, plenty of drawer and hanging space and comfy beds.
The feel was definately European - quiet and comfortable. The included breakfast daily was excellent - fresh berries, cereals, yogurt, juices, eggs, sausage, bacon, breads for toasting, and an assortment of luncheon meats and sliced melons.
The Alpenrose fine dining room was awsome! The food was like my German grandmother used to make - only better!
If you plan on a stay in the Teton's, this is a GREAT place to stay.

• Liked — General overall feeling of cleanlieness and calm atmosphere
  • Disliked — Half flight of stairs up from front desk to room elevators
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Snake River Lodge and Spa
Snake River Lodge and Spa
#4 of 7 in Teton Village
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole

Been to Alpenhof Lodge? Share your experiences!