“Incredible location & great deal for decent rooms”

Inn at Jackson Hole
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Teton Village
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Incredible location & great deal for decent rooms”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

If you want to stay within walking distance of the Jackson Hole tram and gondola for a reasonable price, this is where you want to go. The swanky Hotel Terra is the immediate adjacent building and it cost $389 per night as compared to $179 per night at the Inn when I just visited.

Of course you get what you pay for and this is an older property with the downsides you might expect such as poor lighting in the room, old clunky tvs, and shower heads coming out of the walls at 5 feet instead of 7 feet or higher. The hot water was clearly shared with other rooms in a not-good way that allowed the water to be too hot and then too cold sometimes.

But the bed was comfortable, the TV worked, the price right, and the skiing was great. I would stay here again, it is a good deal and very nice folks at the front desk.

Room Tip: They are doing renovations so call ahead to make sure you are in a good room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 March 2014

For frame of reference, I stayed at the Inn during Christmas for a winter ski vacation and this review is focused around that. I think that it is a different story for the summer (for which I have also been in Jackson), but in my opinion the Inn would be a nice, quieter, out of the way location compared to the hustle and bustle of Jackson itself.

As you may gather from the other reviews, the Inn is not the fanciest hotel in Teton Village ("the Village" for short). However, the short story is that if you are looking for more of a budget option (and don't want to stay in Jackson township itself - which is ok, but the Village is a lot nicer if you are skiing) with decent amenities, the Inn is by far and away the best option. I think that the only place cheaper is the Hostel (which I have also stayed at previously), but there is a world of difference in quality/amenities and the price difference (if you get a private room at the hostel, as opposed to sharing) is not massive.

As others say, the rooms themselves are a little dated (the one I was in was perhaps last renovated in the 90's?), but the beds were comfortable, the bathroom and TV worked fine, heating/cooling was not an issue, the desk/couch were nice and there was adequate room for us. I was speaking to management about something else and they told me that some of the rooms have already been remodeled and the rest will be over the coming ('14) summer. This will be nice, but may perhaps drive up the price as well...

Pros:
- Location. Among the hotels in the village, it's perhaps the furthest away from the main base area. This may sound like a negative, but to put it in perspective, this distance is less than 300 yards! While you have to walk up to the lifts (not a steep climb and you can be at the tram in 3 minutes, main base in 5), you can ski pretty much all the way down to the hotel. You are also 2 minutes from the Mangy Moose bar (great for the trudge/crawl from Apres ski to home!) and also next to great restaurants in Terra (Osteria - not cheap, but absolutely amazing!) and Teton Mountain Lodge hotels.
- Free breakfast. How can you complain about a FREE breakfast. Buffet style bacon, scrambled eggs, toast, coffee, yogurt, juice and sometimes fruit. Not fancy, but saves at least $10/person, per day (if not a lot more).
- Free parking. Worth a lot if you have a rental car.
- Pool/spa. I didn't use it, but they looked fine.
- Staff. We arrived late and were checked in after midnight by the night manager, who was new, but did just fine. During the rest of our stay, housekeeping were on it and if we needed something, the front desk responded in a timely fashion. We did have one unrelated issue while we stayed there, and I have to give a HUGE THANK YOU to one of the managers there, Amanda. She was persistent and amazing in helping me get the issue resolved and her assistance and friendly attitude would encourage me to stay at the Inn again if I get a chance to return. Amazing customer service skills - thank you Amanda!

Cons:
- Free breakfast. Ok, it was FREE (see above), but the breakfast was of average standard at best. I admit that I was there during Christmas which is one of the busiest times of the year and that there were still some teething issues (the Village Cafe, which does the breakfast had just opened), however the toasters weren't working, they were constantly short on cutlery, coffee, condiments, eggs &/or bacon. If you had the time (and the patience), it was ok, but I hope they have ironed out the issues by now.
- Room quality. As I mention above, a little dated, but I was ok with it because I wasn't paying $900/night for the Four Seasons...
- Electrical outlets. The room could have done with more of them.
- Fitness center. There wasn't one. Would have been nice, but then again, after a hard day skiing, I may never have made it!

Overall, even though the snow wasn't brilliant (we did have a powder day on our last day - yay!), I had a fantastic time in JH and the Inn at Jackson Hole was great value for money and a great base to enjoy ourselves. Thank you.

Tip - if you don't want to do the breakfast at the Inn, go next door to Terra (1 min walk). Their cafe has a fantastic range of tastier & fancier options, with great coffee. Probably about $20/person for breakfast, but well worth it.

Tip - Rental car: highly recommended, as you can go to town, explore the area, go to Grand Targhee, drive yourself to/from airport, etc. If not though, the local transportation system - START bus - works just fine and is cheap and seems to run on time (used it when we wanted to go to town for a few drinks).

Enjoy!

Room Tip: The hotel is quite a large complex. If you stay in the rooms closer to the base area, it can save a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Positives - The rooms are clean, functional and it is close to the chair/village. Breakfast was OK and overall is reasonable value for money.

Negatives - Rooms don't quite live up to the pictures online. They are a bit more dated and there is a real lack of light in the rooms.

Would recommend for those looking for "value for money" There are nicer places on mountain, but you will pay accordingly. One could do a lot worse.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ground floor rooms, they are noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JP_MELB
New Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The "professional photos" of IJH bear little resemblance to the place. It's old, it's tired and it's not such a great place to stay. I am basing this review on the room in which I stayed, not all of them.

We drew the short straw on a group ski trip and were put in a very small room that has obviously not been refurbished. The "closet" in our room consisted of a niche with a pole and 8 hangers - no door. The fitting for the free-standing air conditioner was falling out of the wall with duct tape hanging. The lighting was barely adequate. A good portion of the hem of the curtains on the slider had come down and was dragging on the floor. When leaving the room, it would take at least 4 tries slamming the door before it would lock. One key card stopped working mid week. There were very few power points for boot warmers, phone chargers, etc., so we kept having to unplug the television. The back stairs were always loaded with ice and no one had bothered to shovel the path for a rear exit. We had to climb a snow bank. As a matter of fact, there was very little shoveling done at the front or side entrances as well. There was a cafe below the restaurant that catered to a VERY NOISY young crowd and in addition to the noise, food smells lingered in the hallway (which were dark, by the way). One day we returned from breakfast to be met with a smoke-filled room. Maintenance had no clue what the cause of the smoke was. There were ski lockers in the hallway but no one bothered to tell us how to obtain a key so that we could use them. We had occasion to use what was possibly a breakfast room. It was filthy. Location? There are better. Cost? Moderate - but we got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a refurbished room. We saw doubles that were larger than ours with an easy chair...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
David J, General Manager at Inn at Jackson Hole, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
I don't recall hearing these complaints last week when you were here, but I do apologize for the inconveniences that you dealt with during your stay. Please call me, David Jackson, and when you come back to Jackson Hole, I would like the opportunity to make it up to you.

Thanks for your input.

Travellers are raving about these Teton Village hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed 6 March 2014

To start with I couldn't get over the fact that they were the only resort who did not shovel their sidewallks. Was there right after a lot of snow and it was treacherous walking in ski boots. Breakfast not for me. I guess I prefer to stay in a better hotel - was trying to do more budget this time but the difference between their price and a nicer hotel was not enough to make me want to stay there again. If it was 100 a night - i would see the value.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
I am sorry that you were not a fan of the Inn. You did come at a time where we were averaging 5 - 10 inches of snow per day, and the difference between our property and the 4 - 5 star properties that surround us is that those properties have heated sidewalks so they don't have to shovel the sidewalks, where we literally do have to get out there and do it by hand, but yes we have a hard time keeping up with it when there is that much snow.
We are a 40+ year old property that is about to get remodeled, so please when you come back give me a call and I will see about making it a better stay for you.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I really like this place and have been here a few times. What others might be negative about I call original charm, and rustic. I'd rather stay here any day than a posh 5 start hotel - for me it's affordable, very well located, and the staff are efficient and friendly - see you next Christmas!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Fair Oaks, California
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The location is the good part, and if you remember where you are, it's priced according to the state of the property, so if you don't have 4 star expectations on a 2 star hotel, you'll do ok. The service during our stay fluctuated from bad to great according to day and shift. It also has free breakfast, eggs, potatoes and waffles (if you aren't last) but in the coldest ski resort in the nation: no hot chocolate! We came for location and everything else around the village was booked. Yes, it is an old property and the hallways are dark till timer comes on after dark, and finding key slot is challenging, (and stairs are slippery with snow) but nobody cares if you bring ski equipment into room. We slept well and it had room darkening curtains, and closet that actually fits 2 people's clothes, and because it's older, the room is not so tight. Oh, and If you forget your alarm, don't worry, the ' Zombies ' will wake you up on or around 8am; that is, an army of ski boots motoring around hallways and stairs heading for early breakfast. Also, cleaning staff will insist in getting in your room even if you have "do not disturb" sign on, and 3 locks. Parking can be challenging as well. Worse case you have to walk a little more. Sure, there are a lot more expensive options in Jackson, if you don't mind the drive. But remembering the price and with a little humor you can overcome the inconveniences. A nice touch was the wood fireplace in the lobby ( in world now gone to gas).

• Stayed February 2014
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
Golden Eagle Inn
Golden Eagle Inn
#32 of 40 in Jackson

Been to Inn at Jackson Hole? Share your experiences!