“Bed bugs”
Review of Coachman Inn Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thermopolis
Coachman Inn Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Thermopolis B&B and Inns
“Bed bugs”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Spent a night at the Coachman, Aug 2, 2013 and woke up with many bed bug bites! Spent the following night in my van. Several other members of our party were also exposed to bed bugs so several rooms are infected. This was part of an organized stay to support a charity bike ride so I have not had any interaction with the hotel about this. The ride director is handling this. Bottom line - this property has BED BUGS and should not be stayed at until proof of remediation is provided.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank poppoobvguj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This is an older property that is now being upgraded. Our room was clean. The folks were friendly and did not charge us extra for our dog. Complimentary breakfast of juice, coffee, tea, cereal, fruit, yogurt, and fresh baked "silver dollar" waffles was wonderful and set in a pleasent sun room. We would go back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ridin
GRAND JUNCTION
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I've been traveling for most of my 56 years for both business & pleasure. I've stayed in countless B&B's, Hostels, Inns, Motels, Hotels, Resorts, Campgrounds etc in America, Canada, Mexico and Europe. I have NEVER refused to stay anywhere until the Coachman Motel. It is gross; filthy, dirty, deplorable conditions and that is only exceeded by the crude, rude, disrespectful, immaturity of the self declared "Owner/Manager" who in reality is nothing but an ill-mannered, foul-mouthed 17 year old girl, Alexis, the daughter of the owner. In April Alexis is whom I originally booked my reservation with: She quoted and confirmed $55 p/n for a room with 3 queen beds. In June when my cousin called to book her room Jandra wasn't able to find my reservation. She booked it (again) honoring the $55 rate for the 1 rm w/3 queens. Upon check-in my reservartion rate was now $69 and only 2 beds. Alexis refused to honor the rate or the room type even though she acknowledged the original reservation had existed. (She blamed some "outside hired source" who handles the reservations, there is no outside source, the Coachman is strictly a small time self managed property). Upon my request Alexis relunctantly offered a roll-away. When we entered the rooms we were DISGUSTED!!!! The bed covers were ripped/torn and had multiple burn holes, the matteresses were so concaved they looked like sinkholes. You could read through the sheets, the room stank of stale cigarette smoke. Three of the 4 light fixtures didn't have lightbulbs. The carpet hadn't been vacummed, the bathroom had dead bugs on the floor and holes in the wall. I understand old - but basic upkeep and maintenance is necessary. Three encounters with Alexis; all were nasty. She is belligerent, rude (calling me a "pissy cowboy" among other things) and just plain hostile. My cousin and I refused to stay and returned our room keys and asked that the charges to our credit cards be refunded. Alexis refused, saying that since we had entered the room it would need to be inspected and if we had "touched anything" she wouldn't refund our money. We explained that, yes, we had "touched" things; door knobs, light switches, bedding, but we hadn't "used" anything. Alexis argued that since we had "touched" things in the room she would not refund our money. We asked to speak with the real owner and Alexis said her father was out doing work for "all the other hotels he owns" and doesn't talk to guests." We left and were on the far side of the motel's circular drive/lot calling our credit card companies to file disputes, when Alexis exited the office and mounted her ATV/Gator and sped around the lot slinging dust and gravel on us, our children and our vehicles, all the while screaming/yelling unintelligible insults.
I am not one to file multiple complaints, but my cousin and I are both so disgusted that we are following up with letters to the Thermoplis Wyoming Chamber of Commerce, the local newspaper, and the Wyoming Visitors Bureau. This place needs to be shut down and if there is a "real" owner they need to terminate Alexis. and her family needs to get her some serious help.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank TravelCritter6

Travellers are raving about these Thermopolis hotels

Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Rooms, filthy dirty. Linens, stained. Matresses, no pad but reasonably comfy. I bought my own sheets and covered the gross bed coverings. Wifi non existant in 80% of the rooms and front desk was rude and defensive when I inquired what was going on w/ wifi. I doubt their story. My battery was dying, beeping, i took it to desk and still don't have a replacement a day and half later. Breakfast horrible but coffee was GREAT and the room smelled nice. I can't believe the motels in this town have the gall to sell rooms like this. No self respect! Do not be fooled by picture on website. This place sorely needs upgrades, repairs, customer service training.

• Stayed June 2013
8 Thank AnnieMB328
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2013

(Just to cut through the bone, I have had many previous experiences with hotels, marketing for 20 years, haven't slept in my own bed in months. So I'll put as much information in this little hotel as I can, to help out all of us.)

The Coachman Inn truly is an outstanding package for the price. I was quoted just 45 bucks! Compare that to the other rates I was quoted and I easily saved 20. I had to jump on this one quick. Let me do a rundown of what I did and the experience of it all.

1. Booking the Reservation

Normally, this process takes more than 10 minutes, giving all your information and swapping numbers, not too friendly, and just trying to get it down as quickly as possible. Well in the case of the Coachman Inn, this truly was the opposite. It took less than a minute and the only information I needed to give was my name (only first), how many beds I'd like to claim, and the days I'd need them for. And that was it, I questioned about a cancellation fee, nothing of the sort, even pets stay free of charge, the only thing I was told to do was show up, pay when you want, and hopefully come back. Easy as pumpkin pie. I was a little weary at first, so I called back a few days before I ventured out on my trek, and sure enough, it's all that was needed to be provided. The gentleman on the phone was very nice and threw in a laugh or two to make it more pleasant.

2. The Check-In

We all know how much of a hassle this can be, showing up, not knowing where to park, or the uneasiness of the process. Usually reminds me of a hostage situation. Yet again, the Coachman proved itself completely opposite. The giant Coachman sign lit up the night right off the side of highway 20. The driveway was a simple gravel bend, elegant in its own way. I just left my vehicle in the gravel road, parked where ever I felt like it, it seemed more natural than trying to navigate most parking lots. I realize that in itself is something small, but it was quite the experience in itself. The main office is a two room sort of affair. You walk in the first room and you've stumbled across the breakfast room (which also serves coffee 24/7), then adjacent to that is the front desk, a simple piece comprised of plywood, pretty humble and fitting considering the entire office is decked out with wood. The man behind the desk suprised me with a quick 'Hello there! How's it going?', unexpectantly loud it shocked me a little, I assumed it was a guy in his thirties, turns out he was in his young 20's. But don't let that fool you, he was quite the buisnessman, promoting things to do in the town as well as little tips to make the stay easier as well as funner. Definately putting me first above all else. All the work to check in was done in under 30 seconds, I was greeted, asked my name, given a key and I could have been on my way. But I stuck around a bit just to talk to him, asking any question that would pop into my head because why not? I inquired about the breakfast in the morning, since that seems to be a major thing most of the reviews are unsatisfied with, he told me it was more of a summer thing, not so much in the winter, but on occasion he said it might be up, it was like a 'Christmas suprise' as he put it. Definately some laughs thrown in there, I decided it was time to head up to the room. The hotel itself was all ground level, no annoying stairs to climb (which is thankful, my line of work doesn't give me much time to exercise, so I'm a bit of a 'big guy'), and you drive up right in front of your room, within a few steps from your car you were in your room.

3. The Room

The room itself was surprisingly warm, which I was thankful for from the fact that it was snowing that night, easily the first thing I noticed. I flipped on the lightswitch and was surprised to see it wasn't as bad as I assumed, given my price quote. The walls were stained pine, pictures strung about, even the bed was insanely intricate. Funny as well, the head board was comprised of thick branches of pine, in a neat little design, the creme de la creme was centered directly in the middle of all of it. It was a shotgun. Blew my mind! Well not literally, of course. But it was very neat indeed, even opened up a little spontaneity of a child in my, and I tried to see if it would pump... sadly it did not (so far that's the only thing I didn't like about the experience, not like it matters at all though). It wasn't very cramped either, which yet again shines through with my beefy-ness. The TV was a little dated, but was fitting considering the theme of the place, it still had many cable channels. The bed itself was very comfortable, even with a gun behind my head, it gave me a sense of protection even though clearly it could not. And to my expectation of loud noises coming from the highway all night, with the semis and everything blasted through, I never heard a peep of it, it was very quiet all night long, no disturbances whatsoever. And now onto the bathroom, as it is morning in this story I have going here, and that's when I take my showers. The bathroom was a little cramped, but this isn't a vacation home so I was expecting it to be so. The shower/tub combo is a cookie cutter design you'll find everywhere else, I was thankful the showerhead wasn't extremely low, like chest height, which I've had to deal with many other times before. But this one was well above my head, but not too far away, just right. Stepping out of the shower I smiled a little looking at the toilet paper and seeing it was folded, something so minor really made a difference in that sense.

4. The Checkout

I was all packed up and ready to get on the road again, so I headed back down to the front office an hour before the checkout deadline. And sure enough the front desk person was there with yet another greeting, asked me about my night, and I seemed to have blown him away with my enthusiasm. I told him I would have gladly paid double the amount I put down for the service and quality.Within just a minute all I had to do was provide my card and signature and I was off on the road again, I asked if I could fill up my coffee cup before I hit the road, and he said, 'by all means, take as much as you'd like' with a smile on his face.

5. Summary

The Coachman Inn is definitely a league of it's own, and it's doing it flawlessly. I would have gladly paid double for the service alone, package that with the few niceties thrown in there, and you have an amazing deal.
A definite 'YES' all around.

Room Tip: Any quarrels, be sure to address them, they will take care of you.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Steven M
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Overall the rooms were filthy and the service was terrible. The breakfast that is promised with your stay is nowhere to be found even after repeatedly inquiring about it and showing up at the appropriate time everyday. The bedding and towels were stained and dingy, the curtain on the window wouldn't close all the way and the floor left our socks black with dirt. If you need new towels you will have better luck searching them out yourself over asking one of the staff members. Can't think of anything nice to say about our stay at the Coachman Inn.

Room Tip: Avoid staying here!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Dani G
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I'll start with the only nice thing... Our dogs stayed for free.
In an attempt to keep this somewhat short and readable I'm just going to make a numerical list of all our disappointments.
1. Upon check-in, we were told the room we reserved had been given away. We called to reserve the room almost 2 months in advance and called 2 weeks prior to arriving to confirm. (We were meeting family for a long weekend stay and wanted to share one of the large suites that were offered.) They gave us 2 separate rooms for the same rate, but then asked us what rate we had been quoted?
2. The vinyl flooring is filthy! (As in turn your socks black after a few steps... And God forbid something roll under the bed! You are better off leaving it under there, as you may lose a hand upon retrieval)
3. The beds are all springs in your back, the pillows are flat and the bedding was borderline unacceptable. I think it was clean but it was very well worn and mis-matched.
4. The bathroom towels were much the same. And one of the hand towels had large dark stains.
5. There are no coffee pots in the rooms!
6. The heater in our room did not work so there was an electric, portable fireplace. It had to run 24-7 on high to 'kinda' keep our room warm.
7. The 'help' was NOT helpful and rude. We stayed 4 nights and not once did they come in to pick up towels or provide new ones. After the second night I went to the office and requested towels. They brought a new floor towel. I went back to the office and asked for BATH towels. They didn't have any clean and had me follow them to an empty room and gave me 2. (We are a family of 3 and 1 of the towels was a hand towel. At this point I just gave up.)
8. THEY DON'T SERVE BREAKFAST!!!! After arriving in their little dining room on our first morning and finding it empty and dark, I called. It went to VM. Later in the day I asked if they still serve breakfast. I was told, "Yeah, sure." I asked what time. The answer? "I don't know?" The owner cut in at this time and said breakfast was at 7 and that 'He would take good care of us.' No breakfast the next day or the day after that, etc. We inquired about it every afternoon and were always told it was/will be at 7.
I don't care if you don't serve breakfast any more, but don't lie to me!
9.The shower water goes from hot to cold and back many times during a 10 minute shower. (making it difficult to shave ones legs)
10. There is no Wifi!

I'll just stop now. I strongly recommend seeking lodging elsewhere. The whole stay was a joke and we only stayed because we paid in full upon arrival.

• Stayed February 2013