“Very run down motel.”

Roundtop Mountain Motel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Thermopolis
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am a fan of small motels, but not this one. The carpets were filthy with tar and had large streaks of white carpet fresh to hide the stale smell. The pillow cases smelled like greasy hair and beds spreads looked old and dirty. Jim the guy at the office was no where to be seen the rest of the weekend. Had to buy a roll of toilet paper at the grocery store. Would have left, but had already paid for our 2 nights. I am not a picky person but this about put me over the edge.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jayne M

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My situation was unique when I stayed at the Roundtop Motel for 3 months in the winter. My previous couple of years had off-the-charts stress, and I was moving back to Wyoming, after being gone for over 3 decades. Much has changed since I last was here. I booked my stay through AAA, and had originally planned to stay at Best Western. I was advised by a local pastor to stay in a less expensive place such as this. (Thanks, Pastor Seidel!)
As I am handicapped, I did as much research as possible before deciding on which place to choose. The Innkeeper, Jim was very helpful and knowledgeable about the town. I needed to find an apartment to move into, and they are sparse in this town. Jim was patient with my many questions, and offered great advice.
My moving team and I arrived late on Dec. 6th during very frigid weather, and we were so happy to find that the Chinese restaurant he had recommended was open still, so we could get a wonderful hot meal and thaw out.
I found Cabin 10 to have a nice, new tub/shower, and bathroom with a linen closet and space for my many necessities. I enjoyed the flat screen TV, and cable channels. The bed linens and towels were quite clean. I liked the fact that I didn't have to have my sheets changed every day. If I needed any linens, towels or cleaning done, it happened promptly with a friendly staff (who didn't expect a tip for every trip to my cabin, as some places do). I was pleased that there were no stair steps to get to my room, and there was hardly any traffic noise. I spent 2 1/2 months actually in the room, and another 2 weeks for my team to move my stuff out of there and into my new apartment. I wish that my getting established in my new place had gone as well as my stay at the Roundtop Motel.
I found this great little motel reminiscent of our family's favorite vacation mountain cabins ( Dinkey Creek) in the high Sierras, except that this place has many more amenities, and a wonderful, hardworking, and friendly Manager in Jim. I am very pleased with my experience here.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Bobbi I
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I am amazed at the previous reviews for this hotel. 4 and 5 stars? If you give this old hotel five stars, what do you give the Marriott or Hilton, or even the comfort inn?

I did not have a good experience here. I called around noon of the day I wanted to check in, driving from Rock Springs. I was told there was a power outage but they expected it to be fixed within a couple hours. After several calls back-and-forth and visiting the hotel when I arrived in Thermopolis, the power outage was finally finished around 7 PM. So much for watching college football.

This is a basic single-story old hotel with old furnishings and nothing updated. I understand the cabins are a little nicer, with kitchenettes, but one wasn't available for me. My room was a double with the cabinet that had a very small TV in it (but lots of TV stations), a mini fridge and microwave, and nothing else. No table, no desk, no extra place to put other luggage. Thin walls, I woke to the neighbor's TV at 700 on Sunday. Tiny bathroom with no tub, shower only. Very slow wifi. NO lights in parking lot.

I guess as an alternative to the very overpriced Days Inn and Best Western, this place will do. But don't be fooled, in no way is this a 4 or 5 Star Place. Decent and okay if you don't expect much! And very helpful manager.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank drdroad
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Previous reviews convinced us to try the motel when we decided to stay overnight in Thermopolis. Jim let us look at both room and cabin before deciding (on a cabin). Cabin had a nice space: a kitchen supplied with pots and utensils; bathroom with linen closet, table and chairs. We don't like a/c much, so left the windows open, and were not bothered by road noise. Traffic seemed to die down around 9 pm, but did hear some starting at 6 am (when people start passing by for work). Not at all bad, especially is you come from any kind of urban environment

Cabin was clean, as is my wont, I checked the bed very carefully, and it came up clean as well.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ualagirl
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The RoundTop is an affordable clean place to stay run by good hardworking people. Enjoyed my stay. Jim was friendly and helpful. Double room was warm, nice and clean. A locally owned and operated place to stay in the heart of thermopolis.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I reviewed the RoundTop on TripAdvisor in 2011 after I stayed there for a week. I loved it. I came again for a week in 2012. It was awesome. I came again for 12 days earlier this month. It was outstanding. Previously I had stayed in the rooms, which were nice, but this time I stayed in a cabin (#10). It was really homey and charming, and had a little kitchenette. Jim was a wonderful host. The RoundTop is a great place to stay not only because it's old-fashioned and quaint, not only because it's very inexpensive, and not only because you truly feel like a guest; it is also just a 10-minute walk to the hot springs. I don't know why you'd want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Mind you, they will not change your sheets and towels every day. Do you really need that? I don'...