“Stay at your own risk”

Yellowstone Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wapiti
Reviewed 24 July 2010

The cabins were so small, only had double beds. TV got one channel in color, other was black and white and snow. Wifi was available, but very slow. The cabin was not clean, I didn't even sleep in between the sheets. The bathroom wasn't clean, the shower was dirty. The best thing about the place was the breakfast. They charged way too much for a tiny place that wasn't even clean and had terrible ammenties. The laundry service was nice. They had signs all over in the cabin saying turn off lights, tv, be careful flushing the toilet, ac didn't work and the door didn't lock automatically when u walked out, you had to make sure u locked it. Which I thought was a little scary. Most places it will lock when u leave.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank beaverfanatic
nor56001, Owner at Yellowstone Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2010

We are always disappointed when a guest has less than great experience at our facility but a few points need responding to. The average age of lodging facilities in this beautiful valley is around 50 yrs. (ours included) and only two even offer TVs and AC and we're the only one to supply coffee pots and hair dryers in our rooms. We are also the only place with a heated pool and indoor hot tub. If guests are coming here to watch TV instead of the 360* mountain views then they should stay in a metropolitan area. Infact when the rest of the country went digital this valley did not. There is no cable at all. In our effort to go green we installed low flow toilets (72 in all) and sometimes they are hard to clear thus the notes but for the most part they work great and save money and energy. We also ask guests to help us save energy by shutting off lights when they leave. All our rooms are equipped with locking door handles and dead bolts but do require the guest to lock them. We have a variety of rooms in several sizes. Smaller rooms have our new Denver Mattress pillow top dbl. beds and we've had great comments since we bought them. Some say it's the best sleep of their entire vacation but we do have larger rooms with kings and queens. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and facility in general even though this part of Wy. is rocky, sandy and dusty. The acidic water here does have a negative effect on fiberglass showers and sinks but it tastes great and we are constantly cleaning them to try and make them shine. Several of our housekeepers have been with us for yrs. and are not just seasonal hires and they take great pride in the job they do. Our prices are some of the lowest in Park Co. which includes Cody and Yellowstone and during summer season it is almost impossible to find any open rooms within 100 miles of the park. I am sorry these folks expected the Hyatt in the middle of nowhere Wyoming but we locals like this valley just as it is and are constantly working to improve our resorts.

Reviewed 21 July 2010

We were very disappointed in our room overall. Everything seemed to have been installed in the 1970s and never updated. The "harvest gold" bath fixtures and cheap linoleum floor in the bathroom, plus the extremely dated furniture in the "sitting room," would have been acceptable if the rate charged for the room had been reasonable, but it was definitely NOT. Speaking of the bathroom, the lighting was very poor in the room, making it difficult to see to apply makeup, and as another reviewer noted, the exhaust fan was ridiculously loud. The first night of our stay, it got quite cold in the room, even though it was mid-July, but when we set the thermostat, nothing happened. We did ask the next morning what to do, and a staff person was very helpful about showing us how to turn on the baseboard heaters. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, the pillows were awful. Furthermore, the Inn gives a lengthy list of do's and don't concerning the plumbing, which doesn't exactly make you feel like you're staying in a first-rate inn. And despite doing our very best to comply with their instructions, we ended up with a backed-up toilet, sink, and bathtub. As to those who said the food at the restaurant was good, I beg to differ. We had dinner there one night, and the steak was not good at all. The value for the breakfast buffet wasn't bad (although for what they charge for the room, it should have been complementary), but the eggs and hash browns were very bland, even with lots of salt and pepper. I almost forgot to mention the TV. It only got 4 channels, and the picture quality or reception for all of them was so bad as to make it almost impossible to watch at all. Then there was the situation with the windows and doors. There was a window in a little hallway in our "suite" that had no covering at all: no blinds, no shade, no curtains. So in order to have privacy, we had to tuck a garbage bag into the window frame every night. Also, the curtains over the (east-facing) door to the outside left a gap of about two inches at the top, so we had to tuck paper into the gap so that we wouldn't be awakened at first light of dawn. Furthermore, the door from our sitting room would have opened directly into the dining room of the restaurant had it not been locked--from their side only! Fortunately, my husband carries a little gizmo that we used to lock the door from our side. Otherwise, anyone could have unlocked the door and entered our room at any time. On a brighter note, the staff was outstanding. They were cheerful and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Literaturefreak
Reviewed 26 January 2010

My room was 10 steps from the Shoshone river and surrounded by mountains. The staff was friendly and fun to get along with. You must try the prime rim offered on the weekends, and I love the hamburger.The menu offered several seafood dishes that looked good when served at the adjoining table. The locals are fun to talk to.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2009

It was our 30th anniversary and our stay was perfect. We were close to Yellowstone and close to Cody. The restaurant was excellent and the people were friendly. Our cabin room was clean and reasonably priced. The best things about it were its location and the fact that it was rustic but still had a laundry, bar and restaurant on site.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2009

The advantage of this resort is that it has campsites, RV sites, newer cabins and 2 story hotel overlooking the river. The restaurant food was fabulous, and the owner was very helpful. The cabins were small, basic, and very clean. The resort is 45 min. from the east entrance to Yellowstone. They do have a swimming pool open during summer, hot tub, pool table and western entertainment some of the time.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

My definition of modern is A LOT different from the one advertised for the Yellowstone Valley Inn. If we were in 1970, they could use the term modern (cheap wall paneling, terrible outdoor lighting inside, don't even get me started on the windows and bathroom issues). Rustic is not a word I would use either, unless rustic means dirty. I could not have been more disappointed by my stay. There was hair all over the bathroom and I don’t think the carpet has ever been vacuumed. The beds are new, but they are an oversized twin – not a queen. The internet access did not work – even in the main lobby. Forget about TV – there is no reception, why they put a TV in the cabin in the first place is mind boggling. We awoke early to roofers banging on the cabin next door - yes on a Sunday! We decided to make the most of it and use the hot tub. The hours of operation for the hot tub are 10 to 10, without exception (when I asked to get in a little early it was stated that it was too hard to get the chemicals taken care of). So, we decided again, to make the most of our stay and just take a shower, after scrubbing it down because it was covered in someone else’s hair.....the shower shut off mid stream. Unable to use the phone, because there isn’t one (again, very modern) I went to the front desk to find out it’s the type of shower head (water conservation – the owner acted like I just should have known they have a water issue – in a hotel!). By then, I was so upset I asked for a refund, I was told I should have complained the night before. My husband and I are avid outdoors people, we frequently stay in forest service cabins, backpack, and are not at all picky – this is the only time I have had to complain about any stay. This place is extraordinarily overpriced, dirty, and inconvenient. Save your money and stay down the road or even in Cody. You’d be better off staying in your car. Whatever you do DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank nativeMontana
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The staff were very friendly but did not seem to know much about the area. Nice campground, very quiet except for weekends when the bar had live music that was too loud. Resteraunt was a little pricy but they had a good breakfast. When we made reservations we were told they had fridge/microwave in rooms and when we arrived they did not. I felt that for the price they could offer a continental breakfast. They are 20 minutes for the nearest town so I guess they have no competition so they can charge as much as they want.

The pool is very small but the laundry services are reasonable. When we arrived in mid afternoon the power was out. The water was also out due to the water being on the electricity. We did not have power/water for almost 6 hours. I had to use bottled water to flush the toilet. I know this was not management's fault however I feel that they could have offered a discount or something. Atleast go around and check on your guests. After the power came on everything ran smoothly so it was just one of those things we sucked up.

I would recommend this place as a one night stay only... not for an extended amount of time.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wapiti
17 mi away
The Cody Hotel
#3 of 29 in Cody
Comfort Inn Buffalo Bill Village Resort
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cody - Yellowstone

Been to Yellowstone Valley Inn? Share your experiences!