“Honeymoon surprise!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wapiti
The Trail Shop Inn and Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Wapiti B&B and Inns
Clarinda, Iowa, United States
“Honeymoon surprise!”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Due to the fires all over Utah and Colorado we changed our honeymoon plans at the very very last minute ( on our way home from the wedding 8 hours before we left home) on the 4th and 5th of July we landed at the Trail shop. We had taken the scenic route thru Beartooth Pass and the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway and by the time we got there it was after midnight and we had been in the car for 14 hours. I don't think I even looked at the room that night I did however notice how cool the wonderful night air was and how comfortable the bed was. The next morning I wandered outside to see that we were surrounded by the most beautiful mountains. The Lodge is over 100 years old and was stunning I only wish they had been open for breakfast. The Cabins are very private and Incredibly clean. Cable was available but we never even turned on the TV. There was a breakfast of fruit and oatmeal for us in the fridge. The water was hot and the water pressure was amazing. Jessie the manager informed me that they have cabins with 1,2,3 bed cabins. And all for a flat rate. We paid almost 70% less then other lodging near Yellowstone. The short 20 minute drive to the park is almost as beautiful as the park it's self. We had dinner at the Trail shop our second night there. My new husband ordered the Grilled Lamb and I had a Steak and we split them and shared. The food was out of this world. I couldn't say something bad about this place if I tried. The staff cares about their job and about their customers. There is a lot of passion and hardwork that makes a Honeymoon stay like this one so successful. Thank you for having us - Ayn and Casey Taylor, Louisville,NE

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ayn T

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We loved this little Inn. It is so cute and nicely remodeled not to mention the stunning views and location near Yellowstone. Our parents and some friends joined us at this Inn for one night on our way into Yellowstone. The rooms were old log cabins beautifully remodeled, both our room and our friends had one separate sleeping room in addition to the main sleeping area. Small refrigerator, microwave and room fan provided. Very clean and pleasing to look at. There is a lovely river in front of the cabins for fly fishing or just taking a walk. A dirt road takes you part way up the hills for some different views. Very quiet and peaceful. It seemed there were only about 5 rooms available for rent.

A small breakfast was provided of muffins, granola bars, fresh fruit, juice in a box and oatmeal. Coffee available in room as well.

A few minor draw backs. One was lack of in room seating - wooden rocker on the porch though. We used our camp chairs to hang outside at night. No air conditioning - night time was cool and the breeze and in room fan cooled us just fine. Limited outlets due to age of cabin so we had to swap plugging things in.

Over all we all loved the cabins and would absolutely stay here again.

The restaurant on location had very nice views out it's large front windows. We did not eat there but it was romantic and probably best for adults or well behaved kids.

Room Tip: Ask for cabin with unobstructed mountian and river views. Or, if traveling in a larger group ask fo...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank traveler53719
Rochester, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 July 2011

You would never guess this little mountain cottage setup with what looks like a diner from the outside is an elegant (yet totally informal) gourmet restaurant inside. I have eaten around the world, and doubt I have ever had a better meal. The menu titles may appear somewhat plain, but the actual dishes are anything but with crusting, sauces, and amazingly flavorful presentation garnishes. We had a berry pie made in a pecan sandie crust with mixed glazed fresh berries...amazingly good. Fresh baked unusual, magnificent breads. I just wish I could get this restaurant close to home.
The double cabins are cute and functional with great views of the mountains rising up from both sides of the cabin area and a fast rushing river just across the road. Cabins included TV and internet, just in case you get stuck in bad weather or can't be without. Also included is a small frig, microwave, and coffee pot. Frig was stocked with breakfast baskets of fresh muffins, oatmeal, granola bar, orange, and juice. Friendly and clean. About a half hour beautiful drive from the east gate of Yellowstone.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank GourmetGail
georgia
Reviewed 10 June 2011

The Trail Shop impressed us all! Our group of six adults had a wonderful stay and the best dinner in the restaurant (thanks P.J.!) out of the whole week. It was just the right balance of laid back and individualized service. We enjoyed the hiking and views right out the front door. Very convenient to Yellowstone NationL Park and Cody, Wy airport.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank hollymc028
Amissville, VA
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Me, my fiance, my 17 year old daughter and my parents stayed at the Trail Shop cabin for five nights this past September. The location is beautiful, remote but within a short drive to a small general store and a few restaurants. The cabin is adorable and so cozy. Two bedrooms, which Jess was kind enough to add a cot to with comfy quilts and blankets! It felt like our own little oasis or hideaway with a great river for fishing within a stone's throw! Jess was so great she supplied us with individual breakfast baskets every morning...oatmeal, fruit, juice, granola bars and muffins! We were so spoiled!!! I intend to return to Wyoming because it is beyond majestic and I intend to stay at Trail Shop because it is home!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank angelinarene
London
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I spent the majority of the summer there working for family. I am from Houston Texas and have to admit to be a little bit spoiled; thus, the Trail Shop was the perfect place for me to get away and experience a bit of the good life. The waitress was great, cook was amazing (met her personally, as most of the patrons at the restraint do), and the bar tender was very skilled and knowledgeable in all types of wine. I am happy to give my recommendation to such a class act restraint and Inn.

Thanks Jess and Staff!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank JamesTexas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wapiti
Yellowstone Valley Inn
Rand Creek Ranch
Rand Creek Ranch
#1 of 2 in Wapiti
Schmalz's Red Pole Ranch and Motel

Been to The Trail Shop Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!