“Good Breakfast but Otherwise Disappointing”

Pomaika'i "Lucky" Farm B&B
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The breakfast and the graciousness of the hosts were the highlights of our stay at Lucky Farm. On the whole, however, I cannot recommend staying here because the house is not kept in a clean or comfortable condition.

Overall, I found the condition of the house unacceptable. Both my girlfriend and I thought it smelled strange when we arrived. Although our bed was relatively comfortable, the bathroom did not have a well functioning toilet, and the only soap or shampoo provided was an old bottle of body wash with a tiny bit left, which was not enough for one persion. The living room is not appealing at all -- it is a disorganized jumble of dusty old books, an old TV, and furniture haphazardly arranged, and is not a place where anyone would want to hang out. The kitchen (not open to guests but easily visible) did not appear clean, and the office (likewise not open to guests but visible) is covered in papers and looks extremely disorganized. The "guest kitchen," which is in an outdoor area underneath the porch, is dark, fully of appliances that look rusty and uninviting, and generally in bad condition.

I have stayed in hostels and many other types of accommodations over the years, and I have not had this reaction before.

If you stay in the farmhouse room, there is little privacy and you can hear what's going on in other parts of the house -- we were woken up to one of the innkeepers speaking to other guests at the breakfast table.

The breakfast was very good, consisting of a large platter of tropical fruit, coffee from the farm, and a baked dish made by one of the hosts. Another of the hosts, JP, talked throughout, which was interesting and informative, but it was somewhat of a forced lecture in which no conversation took place between those eating breakfast. JP then took us on a farm tour, which was fun but seemed compulsory.

It was an experience to stay here, but we thought that one night was plenty. Although Lucky Farm is an affordable and unique place to stay, the house is not maintained with enough care to make guests feel comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JonDCo

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Lucky Farm is not a luxury resort but that's not what we were looking for. We truly enjoyed JP's tour of the extensive and varied 'farm,' the delicious fruit on the breakfast table, and Johnsie's cooking. The location is handy to beaches along the coast, it was economical accommodation and a slice of Hawaiian living. The kitchen for guest use was not a full kitchen and was somewhat primitive and open air, and we did not use it. True, our farmhouse rooms were close to the highway but at night traffic was all but non-existent and didn't keep us awake until early in the morning.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We stayed at lucky farms January of 2013 and it was great. The farm tour was fantastic; we were followed around by a few outdoor only farm cats. I loved hearing the history of Hawaii, about the tropical plants grown there and loved eating them fresh every morning. I've never seen avocados as big as grape fruit before! The highlight of my trip was our last morning when Johnsie and John Paul performed for us. Johnsie was also great at directing us to various sights, places to go, and things not to miss.
If you hate cats, this is not the place for you (neither is most of Hawaii), because stray cats that wander by or have kittens are captured and neutered and vaccinated by them and released. They don't go in the property, but their were often two or three in sight and one in particular was very affectionate.
I saw no 'cat leavings' anywhere or any other cat mess. My room in the farm house was clean and very relaxing and tranquil. The outdoor kitchenette below the house could use a deep clean, but it is an outdoor kitchen, so I don't expect it to be spotless. There is a new propane grill on the lanai as well.
If you have any dietary needs, Johnsie is great at accommodating them in her breakfasts. She can cook gluten free appropriate for celiac disease, vegan, and dairy free, but also doesn't impose any restrictions, that is she does not cook only that way. Overall, we had a great time there. Definitely bring your own snorkeling gear.

Room Tip: I wish the room with the outdoor shower had been free when we were there. It looked fantastic.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca W
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Lucky Farms was definitely one of the most highlighted events while traveling to Kona, Hawaii. It is a wonderful place to taste the great outdoors, take an adventure, relax, and live the simple life. Lucky farms is not for the "light hearted," but if you have an outdoorsy adventurous spirit then you will fit in just fine. This is not your typical fancy hotel, but it is a warm, inviting, and charming place that you will feel cared for and will be well taken care of. We were always greeted at the door by our lovely inn keeper (Johnsey and John Paul) and there maybe a kitten or 3 following right behind (love them). Johnsey and John Paul will provide you with not only a welcoming smile but with lots of entertainment and information through sharing the history of Hawaii - and sharing their tropical foods (fresh from their land) - and guiding you to all the right places. They always provided us with information on the best places to travel, the most authentic places to eat, and the do's and don'ts of different places. Each morning they would make us a lovely meal with their fresh made coffee and fruits. I loved every bit of our stay at Lucky Farms!! People can be really harsh on these reviews - I think people expect a 5 star hotel with chocolates on their pillows. Well, I will tell you that Lucky Farms has lovely innkeepers, cute kittens, a earthy farm, hot coffee and lots of history! It is a place that is cozy and tropical - a place in which you will feel cared for and appreciated and you can make friends! You will never find that in a hotel!!! The innkeepers are some of the most lovely people that I ever met. They were more than willing to go out of their way for us and to always give us good information - I can still remember all the facts and history that John Paul taught us! I loved that when I came home and showed my pictures to family and friends - that I could share more than just a picture - but I could share where I was, facts, and history!
So, How would I sum up my stay at Lucky Farms - It was an ENRICHING time!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Juliann2081
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We had the pleasure to stay at Pomaika earlier this month, and we found our stay there very interesting and relaxing.

The atmosphere is very friendly and this eco friendly B&B gave us the possibility to relax. Strategically located it is easy to travel anywhere on the west side of the Island.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Journeyma
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed here in 2006 and had a great time. It is under new management now and has really slipped. Cats and cat leavings everywhere!! The kitchen area is disgusting and we wouldn't leave anything other than bottled water in the fridge. It's too bad. It is a great location and used to be terrific. The garden room we were in was clean though and a sanctuary away from the cats and smell. I don't think Johnsie notices the cat mess. And her partner JP is fairly useless, though he will try to impress you with his knowledge of not much.......

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank troutfly88
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We spent 4 nights in February, 2012. The host Johnsie and her dad, John are nice enough but the place is not very clean , the lanai is full of cats, and the breakfasts were ok at best. The kitchen available for guests was nasty with dirty counter tops and the moldy smell was awful. Our room was a nice size, the bed mattress was ok but the sheets were "pilled" from use and uncomfortable. There was hair on the bathroom floor and it looked like it needed scrubbing. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MidWestGirlLuvs2go
unidabiscuit, Owner at Pomaika'i "Lucky" Farm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2012

We're so sorry you were disappointed with your experience here, but you certainly didn't get to know us very well, as my Dad was not even on the Big Island during your stay and should not be included in your evaluation of us. John Paul (my co-host here at Lucky Farm B&B) & I have endeavored to keep the guest kitchen area in better shape, certainly much better than what you describe...though a moldy sponge can occur very quickly here in Hawaii. We no longer feed the cats on the lanai, so they are less likely to be around, though most of our guests tell us that they very much enjoy our kitties, we wish that you had.