“A truly unique and enjoyable experience in the...”
other travellers have booked this property
Patio with private hot tub, outdoor dining, gas-fired BBQ grill and yard
Entry Gate to patio Living area with double futon couch and smart TV, has ocean view
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Entry Gate to patio
Living area with double futon couch and smart TV, has ocean view
New Serta Perfect Sleeper queen bed with ocean view
Kitchenette with fridge, two burner hot plate, coffee maker, blender, filtered water
2nd kitchen counter with toaster oven and microwave. Shows door into changing area and bathroom
Smart TV with Netflix, Pandora, cable and DVD player
Patio with gas-fired BBQ, outdoor dining area, private hot tub and outdoor shower
Outdoor shower with hot and cold water, and private hot tub
Chemical-free salt pool with mermaid, waterfall and ocean view
Mermaid at pool
Private yard with ocean view
Carved dolphins at entryway
Dolphin and whale mural in breezeway entrance
Garden path
Buddha in one of the gardens
Red Ginger in gardens
Lobster Claw Heliconia in the gardens
Best snorkeling on the island at Two Step, next to Place of Refuge
Turtle and tangs, snorkeling at Two Step, just 2.5 miles away
Place of Refuge sunset, a sacred historical park, 2.5 miles away
Painted Church interior, 1/4 mi. away
Spinner Dolphins come into the nearby bays to rest and play
Volcano National Park crater plume, 1.5 hour drive from Tropical Hideaway
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
Bogeymanj...
Innisfail, Alberta
“A truly unique and enjoyable experience in the Hawaiian rainforest”
Reviewed 3 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016

We stayed for 1 month and loved it. It is exactly as described on the website. We loved the screened in walls allowing us to enjoy the tropical scenery surrounding the place. I couldn't believe waking up in the middle of our first night and seeing the stars in the sky with a black foreground of palm trees swaying in the breeze. The temperature is so consistent, never once did we add an extra layer of clothing during cooler times or wish we had air conditioning. The trees, shrubs and flowers were so lush and beautiful, enjoyable from the back patio as well as from inside. The outside shower was perfect and so handy for enjoying the hot tub on the patio.

We prefer to eat most of our meals at home or take our own lunches and with a fully equipped kitchen including refrigerator, hotplate, toaster oven and microwave, managed just fine. There is some traffic noise, especially in the morning and evening, but not enough to be a concern. Although Kathy provides earplugs for those that are bothered by the sounds of nature or the roosters, we never used them as they weren't loud enough to be bothersome and actually added to our experience. Another very important thing is that, even though Kathy lives in the house above the studio and her gardener lives in a another ground level apartment on the other end of the building, the place was perfectly laid out so that we had complete privacy and you barely knew when anyone was around.

We found the location perfect for enjoying the snorkelling and historical park just 10 minutes down the hill and even for kayaking to the Captain Cook monument just a little further away. Kathy was a very gracious host and goes to great length to make your stay an enjoyable one. She is also a professional photographer with a very interesting background and is very close to nature with a wealth of information and will even provide guided nature or photography tours. Her gardener, Ivey,was extremely friendly and helpful and fun to talk to and and definitely added to our experience.

My wife and I prefer off the beaten path spots that are private with pleasant surroundings and close to nature, something very hard to find. Tropical Hideaway fit us perfectly. When we return to the Big Island, we will definitely try to stay there again. We would definitely recommend Tropical Hideaway for outdoor loving couple without kids.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The open air experience, the surrounding tropical foliage and the hot tub
Liked least: We liked everything
Anna3467
London, United Kingdom
“Interesting Jungle Experience!”
Reviewed 15 November 2015 for a stay in October 2015
people found this review helpful

It is definitely an amazing experience, but don't expect a lot of sleep here as it's noisy with nature! The screens were good to keep mosquitoes out, but we had plenty of other critters keeping us entertained too - we liked the lizards running around the kitchen, less so the ants and other bugs! (who were there on our first day, despite keeping doors closed and food away etc)

The location is great for a few nights for the snorkelling hot spots :-) Lovely jungle atmosphere. Excellent outdoors hot tub. Pool lovely. Snorkelling gear, deck chairs, umbrella etc. Washer/Dryers.

I do think it needs a bit of a clean up & tlc though - I had to wash up plates etc before using as all greasy & cutlery had rice stuck to them. Coffee maker was a bit yuk with ants. Owner wasn't around at the time so I just cleaned up a bit which was fine. Sheets, towels and the fridge were clean though!

Overall, I'd still recommend it as it has more plus points than negative - it's a fun experience for nature lovers who are prepared! :-)

Management Response
17 Nov 2015
Hi Anna, I'm sorry that you were not completely happy with your time here. We are in the tropics, in a lush jungle area, so there will be insects, far more than in London. Tropical Hideaway is advertised as being in nature, with screens and half walls, so it is not like a sealed hotel room that has regular pesticide spraying. We do have traps for the insects, and usually do not have an ant problem at all. I will alert the cleaner to check the dishes more carefully each time, but your experience with the dishes is most unusual (must have been the previous guests). The unit is cleaned for 4 hours before each guest arrives. I wish you would have let me know what was bothering you because I would have done whatever I could to make things right. I certainly want our guests to be happy. Most of our guests are enchanted by being in nature (screened in) and the nighttime frogs at a distance. I do keep earplugs in the medicine cabinet. Tropical Hideaway has over 120 very positive reviews from the sites we advertise with. Again, I am sorry that your experience wasn't as positive as our other guests..
tipsy_m
Melbourne, Australia
“Flawless relaxation in a natural setting”
Reviewed 10 August 2015 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

Believe all of the positive reviews that you read about this place. I can't believe 10 months have gone by since we stayed here on our honeymoon, but it really was the highlight of our trip to the Hawaiian islands.

Within close proximity to wonderful snorkelling at Two Step, the Tropical Hideway is a fully equipped self contained dwelling. We had the pool to ourselves, from which there are great vistas.

The outdoor shower was so refreshing, and the kitchen really is fully equipped (not a token kitchenette).

The Big Island has so much to offer and the Tropical Hideaway was the perfect base from which to explore it.

musicdude...
Carbondale, Colorado
“Wish I Could Have Stayed Longer”
Reviewed 13 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015
person found this review helpful

Kathy Carr is a delightful host and has built a wonderful little "tropical hideaway" here at Captain Cook on the Kona side of the Big Island. Perfect for one or a couple who wants to avoid the touristy feeling of Kailua and get a sense of what living on the Big Island is all about, especially if you can stay for a few days and explore. Charming studio with queen size bed, outdoor shower, kitchen and suitable toys for snorkeling, boogie boarding, etc. Fresh fruit from the property and a nice hot tub. Great location - 20-30 mins from Kailua and about 45 from South Point with plenty in between. If you are a Four Seasons kind of traveller, then move on, but if you like to immerse yourself in a real island experience in a lovely, very comfortable open air vacation rental, then I recommend the Tropical Hideway wholeheartedly.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location, open air/outdoor shower and hot tub
Liked least: is what I expected. quiet vacation rental
Travelling group: Solo
CanadianE...
Pender Island, Canada
“A truly delightful oasis on Hawaii's Big Island”
Reviewed 7 April 2015 for a stay in March 2015

This is a wonderful little home away from home. It is near some amazing snorkelling and cultural sites. It is quiet and charming. The dipping pool is a real treat and so is the hot tub. We cooked all our meals in the little kitchen and loved our week here. If we ever have the good fortune to return to Hawaii we'd love to come back. Kathleen is generous about sharing her local knowledge and the gift of fresh papayas was a lovely surprise. Our 9 year-old daughter just loved it here too!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Proximity to natural and cultural wonders.
Liked least: Having to leave!
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 50-64
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
derfliege...
Vienna, Austria
“One of the best places I ever stayed at!”
Reviewed 20 October 2014 for a stay in January 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our time at the charming tropical hideaway. In my opinion it is just not describable with words - you have to experience the place yourself to really understand.
The fact that there are no windows (just fly-screens) is unusual and sounds kind of weird - at least for people like us coming from an area where you have really cold winters. But in Big island Hawaii this is just fine. In January we had temperatures in the mid sixties at night, so we slept really recreative. We were curious whether or not all the animals would disturb our sleep - but it just did not happen. It was wonderful.
The place itself is very clean and beautiful equipped. You have a kitchen with all the utensils you need for cooking and an outdoor BBQ. Speaking about the outdoor stuff: We really enjoyed the outdoor shower and the Hot Tub!
So if I have the choice to stay in a hotel or in this beautiful hideaway I would definitely go for the hideaway!
Thank you Kathy for the wonderful time!

One last info for planning your vacation on Big Island: If you are willing to see much of the island, plan enough time! The island is called Big Island for a reason - it takes a day to drive around it!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: All - especially the feeling of sleeping outside - very restful and relaxing
Liked least: That we could not spend more time at this beautiful hideaway
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Lloyd_Cle...
Melbourne, Australia
“My first experience booking a private rental rather than a hotel and I wouldn’t go back.”
Reviewed 29 September 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

When you travel you may just want accommodation to recharge your batteries (both literally and figuratively) but sometimes it’s nice to stay where the accommodation is a destination itself. Tropical Hideaway in Captain Cook on the big island of Hawaii is exactly that. Now with a name like tropical hideaway I know you’d wanna stay there, so what more is there to say?

Well I feel compelled to write about this place because this was my first experience booking a private rental rather than a hotel and I wouldn’t go back. Initially I began searching for a private rental as a cheaper option to an expensive hotel and I quickly found the almost unlimited variety of rentals to be slightly overwhelming. I needed to narrow down my search options. I knew I needed a central location to see all the big island has to offer, within a short drive of Kona because I would be doing multiple days diving from the harbour there.

Captain Cook fit the bill, it is about a 30-40min drive south of Kona and although a lot of the west coast of the big island is dry, deserlet and hot, Captain Cook is within a lush tropical wedge of land that’s managed to escape recent lava flows. It’s also close to the best snorkelling on the island and being south of Kona makes a day trip to the Volcanoes National Park easy.

Finding the tropical hideaway for the first time can be a bit tricky, it really is hidden away, but the owner Kathleen provides very comprehensive directions and a distinctive flag at the entrance to her property to make it easy.

Tropical Hideaway beerTropical Hideaway verandah
Driving up the steep driveway to the hideaway you are completely enveloped in a lush green corridor of tropical foliage that makes this property feel very removed from the nearby road. As the jungle corridor opens up towards the top of the hill, revealed is a landscaped yet informal tropical garden. All kinds of tropical fruits adorn the trees and shrubs. Deliciously ripe mangos, papayas and bananas litter the ground, begging to be eaten.

In fact the tropical garden is so big Kathleen employs a full-time gardener who lives on site to tend to it. KT the gardener was waiting for us as we pulled up in front of the main house. My partner and I were given a warm welcome followed by a tour around the property.

The tropical hideaway itself, as described on Kathleen’s website, is a Hawaiian style studio apartment. It’s fully self-contained with a full-sized fridge and cooking utensils as well as a selection of condiments. It has a super comfy bed and screaming fast WiFi as well as a smart TV with Netflix – a real treat for Australian’s yet to experience the goodness of free streaming TV shows and movies.

Having said that the TV didn’t get much use. The apartments best feature is not the TV or the WiFi, it’s the connection with nature. The apartment is completely open to the air, there is no glass, just screening on 3 of the 4 walls to keep the bugs (and Geckos!) out. That’s something you wouldn’t get in a hotel.

Tropical Hideaway VerandahTropical Hideaway Kitchen
Privacy is not an issue because the lush gardens create a natural screen around the apartment. Out to the west in front of the apartment is a private garden and a view out to the vast North Pacific Ocean. The sea breezes that come through the screen at night are the perfect temperature and I got some of the best sleep I’ve ever had in that apartment. The only thing to be aware of is that the jungle comes alive at night with the calls of geckos and insects. I found it the perfect harmony to sleep to but some people might need ear plugs.

Outside is a veranda looking into the dense jungle – a BBQ area and a private hot-tub, always set to a toasty 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Also outside is the shower, surrounded by bamboo screening – privacy is not an issue. Hot water on demand and views through the garden to the pacific make for a less-routine than usual showering experience!

Tropical Hideaway ShowerTropical Hideaway SpaTropical Hideaway Shower
Wander the property and there are numerous nooks to explore, each full of new surprises and new fruits to eat. There is also a shared pool higher up on the property which has a great view out over the pacific sunsets. It’s made from a converted water tank so it’s well over 3 meters deep, which makes it a fun place to get away from the hot mid-day sun.

Drive a few minutes down Keala O Keawe Road and you find yourself at Honaunau Bay, site of a historic Hawaiian village over 500 years old and a snorkel spot know locally as ‘two step’ – reputedly the best snorkelling spot on the Hawaiian islands and that reputation is not overstated. We arrived on an overcast grey day – the water lapping against the black lava steps from which this site takes its name did not look particularly inviting. But jumping in, the water was crystal clear, teeming with life. Colourful fish, old large mound and lobe corals filled the bay. Honaunau Bay is rich with marine life, and if you spend long enough in the water your likely to see Green Sea Turtles and Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins which frequent the bay. Swimming with a pod of dolphins just as interested in you as you are in them is an indescribable experience.

Back at the Tropical Hideaway in the breeze-way area under the main house is an industrial washer and dryer for you to refresh your clothes from the days adventures and for the next. Kathleen also has snorkels and masks, fins, wetsuits and body boards available for you to use here too. This is also where the fresh fruit collected from the garden will be waiting each morning for your healthy energy boost.

Tropical Hideaway GeckoTropical Hideaway FruitTropical Hideaway Dolphins
The Tropical Hideaway Hawaii was more than I expected. You get so much more from a private rental than you can from even the high-end hotels. The hospitality and small touches from sharing a property with someone who has obviously worked hard for it and loves their lifestyle providing people with this unique experience cannot be replicated by a resort. If you have ever considered renting a private holiday rental take the leap and do it, I wouldn’t go back.

Although I didn’t have time to take up the offer Kathleen also offers more than just the Tropical Hideaway. She is a professional photographer and offers photo tours and private photography lessons. You can also buy the prints and posters that adorn the walls of the Tropical Hideaway. She has been swimming and photographing the dolphins in the area since 1991 – she knows what she is doing. You can take a guided snorkel or dolphin swim with Kathleen, learning from someone who has extensive experience with the area and these amazing marine mammals. Kathleen is also obviously an environmentalist at heart and her respect for nature shines through in every aspect of the property – helping to preserve the big island of Hawaii as a true tropical paradise.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Amazing location and great feel.
Liked least: Nothing! Only that I didn't get more time there.
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing