“Loved this Bed and Breakfast”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Captain Cook
Kona Bayview Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 15 Captain Cook B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I had a wonderful, quiet and peaceful trip to the Bayview Inn Bed and Breakfast. Pat, our hostess, was wonderful. She has a wealth of information regarding the Big Island, places to visit, snorkeling sites, eateries. My room was clean and neat, bathroom recently remodeled. The view from the Bed and Breakfast is spectacular and I enjoyed many mornings sitting on the lounge chairs, reading my book and enjoying the scenery, taking many pictures. Pat made breakfast each morning which consisted of fresh pineapple and papaya (which was picked from the property), fresh coffee, juice and other specialty treats. All while listening to a wonderful assortment of Hawaiian music. I would certainly recommend Pat's Bayview Inn Bed and Breakfast to anyone traveling to Kona. It was the most rested I have been on a vacation. Thank you, Pat

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lynetta

Reviewed 7 April 2011

So, my girlfriend and I made kind of a last-minute decision to visit Hawaii for the first time. With no real knowledge of the island, we searched on Tripadvisor and other sites for lodging that would be affordable yet pleasant and well located. After looking at reviews and determining availabilities, we decided to stay at this B&B and just hoped it would be as described. Well, when we arrived, we were just thrilled with what we found! The Inn is perched on a hillside (about 700 ft above sea level) with a spectacular view of the ocean and shoreline. The grounds are impeccably kept and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. Pat, the owner, greeted us on arrival and got us settled in after a our very long journey from NH. The wide lanai provided a great place to lounge and take in the gorgeous views and tropical breezes. Breakfasts were always excellent with local tropical fruits and a different entree each day. Pat joined us and the other guests (all interesting and friendly folks) for enjoyable conversation each morning to start our days. She is also a wealth of knowledge about the island and provided great tips as to points of interest, restaurants, snorkeling spots, beaches, etc. There are several reasonably priced dining spots within a short drive of the B&B or one can head into the "big town" Kona-Kailua if one seeks more night life. We really preferred the peaceful environment around Captain Cook. Should you not be able to finish your Ahi for dinner, Rambo, the Inn's cat, would be happy to devour your leftovers ;-) So, in summary, we loved our stay here and will certainly return should we have the opportunity to visit the Big Island again. Great accommodations, beautiful location, hospitable hostess, and a very reasonable cost.... what more could we ask!

Room Tip: Just tell Pat what you're looking for!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carl C
Reviewed 19 February 2011

I've pondered writing a review on here for awhile about the Bay View Inn. I hate saying bad things about businesses ran by real people and it's NOT like our experience was horrible. It just wasn't very great either. Let's start with the pros: Wonderful, ample breakfasts. A hostess who will make sure you have the basics you need. A beautiful, amazing view. That "old" Hawaii feel. A wonderful, scenic location.

The cons: That insanely steep driveway that you're bound to badly scrape your rental car on (until you figure out where the curves are). The long, curvy drive required to get to the Inn, which is bordered by very steep cliff-like hills and few guardrails (this is especially freaky at night!). The little bugs and lizards that get into your room each night, despite triple-checking the doors and windows for any kind of opening. No A/C or TV in the rooms (this didn't bother us, but some people might not be able to deal with that). If you're an introvert, you'll probably hate the breakfasts - you eat with all the other guests and are forced to converse. Pat (the hostess) doesn't stay at the Inn on week nights (and she doesn't leave any contact information either), so if something happens to go wrong at night, you'll have to wait until morning for her to deal with it.

Now for the stuff that led me to rate the place a bit lower - Pat's attitude toward us. She seemed completely put off by having "young" people staying at her place (we're a married couple in our early 30's). She actually said more than once (to our face!) that young people have no interesting stories to tell. Some "older" people (in their 50s or 60s) stayed at Bay View while we were there and she fawned all over them. It was just bizarre, because my spouse and I have been to places the others talked about and have connections to some of the celebrities they discussed. I tried to chime in and share some of our tales, but Pat clearly had no interest in hearing them, so I eventually stopped bothering to try. The other weird thing was that everyday she would ask us where we were going and then try to steer us toward the touristy spots (especially the beaches). I really think she was just trying to fulfill her duties as a hostess, but since she never bothered to get to know us, she had no idea that the last place we would want to go was where all the tourists are. So it was kind of unfortunate.

So I guess, in a nutshell, if you're an "older" person, you're probably going to love staying here. Pat will engage with you and make sure you have everything you could possibly need. If you're younger though, expect to be taken care of, but a bit coldly.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank somamoons
ladyinkona, Owner at Kona Bayview Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

This review was posted five months after her visit, so I'm at a disadvantage. I'm a nice person, don't remember ever treating anyone rudely, and find all my guests interesting. She must have misinterpreted something I said, or has me confused with someone else. Some guests excuse themselves from the breakfast conversation (which can last a long time!), and nobody minds.

My driveway is steep, but is good concrete, 12' wide and 60' long, lined with palms. It is straight with curves at the entrance/exit. Nobody has reported damaging their car here.

Strategically positioned under the room key is an information sheet that includes my phone number inviting guests to call me at any time, I'm always available. I'm on the property most all the time, and only ten minutes away weeknights.

There was an unusual hatch-out of tiny moths here last fall, but I normally have very few insects. The beautiful green geckos (not lizards) are common in Hawaiian homes. Most guests love them.

Reviewed 31 January 2011

Pat, the proprietor of this B&B located in Captain Cook, Hawaii is living in Paradise and lucky for all of us, she is sharing this property overlooking the Coastline of Kona, with all of her lucky guests. The rooms are clean, very affordable, and the views are absolutely to die-for. The property is located approximately 30 minutes south of the Kona airport on the western shore of Kona. With over 9 acres of Macadamia trees on the property, and many different types of indigenous fruit trees as well, you will certainly not miss the hustle and bustle of your 'real' home, no matter where it may be located. On her property we saw wild boar, wild turkeys and lots (LOTS!) of roosters and chickens too. There is nothing obstructing your view of the water down below, as the property is sitting approximately 700-800 feet ASL and absolutely no structures between your room and the water. What a view !! Breakfasts are served promptly at 8AM and normally include fresh fruit and something different as a main course each day. The property is well run, very clean and extremely reasonable. This is the second time we have booked with Pat and just like the first time, we left happy, refreshed and recharged. This is the B&B to book if you want to relax and enjoy the scenery, the whales and beautiful weather that always seems to never disappoint on the west side of the big island.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2010

This was our 5th visit to the big island staying with Pat at the Bayview Inn. We wanted to just take it easy and not race all over the island. We spent 12 days there this trip and Pat was there every morning with a very nice breakfast. For half the time we were the only guests and had the run of the place. We will be back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2010

I am very surprised that another reviewer was not happy here. But it appears I arrived after that reviewer left, and I think I have figured out what happened. The hostess mentioned that she had been laid up for a couple of days after a back seizure episode, and that she had been struggling to serve her guests. She does not seem like a complainer so she may not have explained to everyone that she was ill, but perhaps she was not able to drive and replenish supplies for a few days. She was a perfect hostess, although I think she was still in pain. I stayed in the Paniolo room, which is down at the end of the row of units. It takes a few moments for the hot water to get there sometimes. Nothing was broken as far as I know and we had no cold showers. Everything is very well maintained and the hostess does everything possible to make guests comfortable. I can only guess that her medical situation made it difficult for her to function for a day or two. This remains my favorite place in the area and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MinnLady
Reviewed 15 December 2010

First the good: This B & B has an incredible view of the bay and great sunsets, with a clean room, and a pleasant lanai to sit out on and take it all in.
But the bad: The shower in our room had a broken faucet that only sometimes produced hot water. My boyfriend and I both endured cold showers as a result. The first breakfast of fresh fruit and french toast was nice, but the hostess ran out of coffee and had no cream or milk, just powdered creamer to use. Another guest provided his own coffee for the second cup. When I asked for some milk for my tea, she said she ran out and did not apologize. We told her we had to leave an hour before 8:00, the appointed breakfast hour, to catch our flight out the second day. She did not offer to make us breakfast, instead saying something about putting out coffee for us. There were no other guests that day so she would not have had to cook more than one meal. Nor did she offer any refund for the fact that we would not get breakfast. When we got up, there was some ground coffee and water in the pot to make a half pot of coffee. She had taken away the powdered creamer and not put out any milk or cream.
So although the view was great, I would say that any of the inns on the south Kona Coast - and we drove past quite a few in this neighborhood - would have that same view. Maybe Pat was having a bad day or is tired of being in this business, but she didn't impress as really caring about her guests.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

Been to Kona Bayview Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!