“A True Hawaiian Gem”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Captain Cook
Kona Bayview Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 15 Captain Cook B&B and Inns
Pleasant Valley, CT
“A True Hawaiian Gem”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Let me preface this review by saying that I've now had the pleasure of staying at Kona Bayview Inn 4 times since 2007. The fact that I keep going back should speak volumes.

Let's break this down by each aspect of the stay:

Price: You COULD stay in one of the nearby hotels and spend $300+ a night EASILY or you could stay at Kona Bayview Inn (which I'm just going to call KBVI for brevity) at nearly a third the price.

KBVI Geography: First, the view from KBVI is amazing. You're at about 700 feet elevation and have a panoramic view of Kealakekua Bay and the Pacific Ocean. The sun rises behind you so you're never woken by the sun blazing in your window. It also means the rooms stay cooler longer. And since the sun rises behind KBVI, it sets in front of it which means front row seats to amazing sunsets.

Location: KBVI is centrally located to all the best attractions on the island. You're about equidistant from Volcano National Park, Waipio & Polulu Valley, South Point and Mauna Kea. It means never having to switch hotels since you can pretty easily get to all the best sights. Of course you are just minutes from the best snorkeling in Hawaii (IMHO) at Kealakekua Bay and the Pu`uhonua o Honaunau (Place of Refuge) National Park is just a few minutes away too. The other nice part is that you are fairly close to the main road that circles Hawaii (Mamahaloa Rd - aka Rt 11). But you're enough off the beaten track that there is practically NO traffic and the only real noise around are the calls of the birds in the morning and a light breeze that rustles the palm trees. You're also close enough to Kona that it's a fairly short drive into town if you need to stop by Walmart for supplies.

Rooms: The rooms are well equipped and are very clean. There are 4 different rooms (I've stayed in 3 of them) and they all have ceiling fans which is nice. Power plugs are abundant (which is essential for a techie like me). All of them feature ocean views and have a sliding glass door (with curtains of course) that opens up to the lanai (a ground level covered porch for mainlanders unfamiliar with the term). The sliding doors all have screens although when I've been there bugs have never been a problem (indoors or out). Another reviewer mentioned geckos - first, let me say, on Hawaii they are everywhere - but there are probably less in the area of KBVI then elsewhere I've been on the island. Secondly, I've never ever had problem of them getting in my room. The screens on the doors and windows are in good shape and are very effective. Lastly - they're more afraid of you then you are of them - the moment you get within a few feet of them, they usually scurry off. (Which usually foils my many attempts to photograph the cute little buggers, haha)

Grounds: It's apparent that the grounds are well cared for. The lanai is always clean and the lawn is always mowed. It's the type of grass so thick you can just go out, lay down on, and take a nap...I think I have once or twice ;) The driveway in is a bit steep but it's all concrete and in good shape and plenty wide enough for any car/truck. I've even had low to the ground sports-type cars in and out of there and have never even come close to bottoming out (so I have no clue what the heck another reviewer was talking about)

Amenities: Free WiFi (high speed internet). There are racks on the lanai to dry towels/bathing suits and a fridge to store leftovers/beverages. There is ample (comfortable) seating in the form of wicker couches/chairs on the lanai and a few beach chairs out in the sunny area facing the ocean. (Sometimes it's nice to take a nap out there instead of going to the beach as if it's a bit too warm at the beach, it's usually more temperate at KBVI due to the 700ft altitude). There is also a microwave, coffee pot and a bookshelf with several Hawaii themed reading materials which is a nice touch.

Breakfast: This deserved a section all on its own. To put it as succinctly as I can, I still have dreams about the mango and papaya from those breakfasts (you can't get anything nearly as good here in Connecticut). Each morning there is freshly brewed Kona coffee (yup, the good stuff). (By the way, ask Pat, the owner and hostess, where to get fantastic Kona coffee at a great price - way cheaper than those tourist trap coffee mills and just as good if not better). Now, I'm not normally a coffee drinker but I'll help myself to a cup...or three of Kona coffee. Second, there is always fresh fruit, picked daily right on premises. Mango, papaya, bananas...I'm starting to salivate just thinking about it. And there is always some sort of daily special she brings out too which is always delicious. You never leave the breakfast table hungry.

The Owner/Hostess: Pat, the owner and hostess is always cheerful whenever we've been there and always has great ideas and suggestions to help make our trip even better. She has great knowledge about all the beaches the tourists don't know about so don't be afraid to ask her where the best spots are. It's clear she cares about her guests and does whatever she can to make sure they enjoy their stay.

Final Words About KBVI: A great price, friendly service, delicious breakfast, great location. It all adds up to a Hawaiian bargain. I would most definitely recommend Kona Bayview Inn.

A couple other things nearby worth checking out:
Big Jake's BBQ - About 5-8 minutes away by car, this is a place with REALLY good BBQ. I usually get a whole rack of ribs and head down the the picnic area at Place of Refuge National Park and relax while eating lunch/dinner at least once during a trip.

Kona Coast Macadamia Nut and Candy Factory - Just a few minutes from KBVI at hte end of Middle Keei Rd. (going south) - I've never been there while the factory was in action, but they do have a little gift store there with REALLY GOOD macadamia nuts (salted/unsalted/hot etc), chocolates and other assorted goodies. Everything looks homemade (and tastes like it too - i.e. Delicious). Definitely worth it to pick up a few snacks for the road as you go on your adventures.

About the Reviewer:
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Types of travel: Adventure/Activity Based (hiking/biking/exploring/kayaking)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
8 Thank clarksbrother

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hampton, CT
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Couldn't have asked for more. Centrally located but quiet area. Breakfast was phenomenal, views spectacular, and host was very accomodating. Good deal financially.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ellen P
Kailua Hawaii
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The view from the lanai of the bay is incredible! The orchids on the lanai are gorgeous! Excellent breakfast!

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank KuuleiRoad
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Cozy, impressive views and surroundings, surprising, invigorating, and fun!

Refreshing Hawaiian hospitality is what we experienced! We have been guests at as many hotels as B&B's (Bed and Breakfast Inns), and whenever possible, and available I have always found my stay with B&B's to be a non mechanical, and unselfish experience.

We checked in earlier, got a quick tour of the Inn, felt lucky to have found such a beautiful place with a fantastic owner with personality to boot. The Bayview Inn was a few minutes from to our planned play areas which included: PU'UHONUA O HONAUNAU City of Refuge. The historical Park is well preserved and pure. We went snorkeling near by at Two Steps, although the water was a little choppy that day, we took advantage of the chance to experience some great underwater sites, and we were not disappointed! They had inexpensive kayaking to the Captain Cook Monument, the best snorkeling on the Big Island. We got a recommended dinning tip from the locals, and ended our day with a unique restaurant in Captain Cook called: Manago, true Hawaiian family style dinning, delicious! Upon returning, the place was quiet, with just enough lighting to make it cozy and, undisturbed. There is a fridge available for leftovers and such things.

Our experience of staying at the Bayview Inn was like coming home after a long, lazy, and exciting day at the beach with satisfied stomachs and a nightcap.

Our room was nice, clean and comfortable. The room was equipped with all of the necessities; it also had a ceiling fan for circulating that crisp saltwater clean air. The temperature was comfy, and we had a sliding glass door with screen which we left open during the night. We woke up refreshed, and stepped out to almost an immediate and incredible view of not just the breath taking ocean, but along with it the well kept lush tropical gardens with variety of beautiful flowering plants; if you're lucky, you might get a morning greeting from a wild turkey or two!

The wonderful aroma from the kitchen put a kick in our step to getting dressed, and heading to the breakfast area. While conversing with the owner of the B&B, we were pleasantly pleased at her seasoned knowledge and enthusiasm in the Hawaiian life and customs. We invited her to sit and have a bite with us. We could not have met a finer woman. The food was well prepared as was delicious. It was served with a smile along with an uninhibited since of humor, and whit. The Bayview Inn was a pleasurable experience for us. My partner and I found it a refreshing, little hidden Gem.

Aloha!
Heather

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brookeheather2
Oroville, California
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I had a wonderful, quiet and peaceful trip to the Bayview Inn Bed and Breakfast. Pat, our hostess, was wonderful. She has a wealth of information regarding the Big Island, places to visit, snorkeling sites, eateries. My room was clean and neat, bathroom recently remodeled. The view from the Bed and Breakfast is spectacular and I enjoyed many mornings sitting on the lounge chairs, reading my book and enjoying the scenery, taking many pictures. Pat made breakfast each morning which consisted of fresh pineapple and papaya (which was picked from the property), fresh coffee, juice and other specialty treats. All while listening to a wonderful assortment of Hawaiian music. I would certainly recommend Pat's Bayview Inn Bed and Breakfast to anyone traveling to Kona. It was the most rested I have been on a vacation. Thank you, Pat

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynetta
New Hampshire
Reviewed 7 April 2011

So, my girlfriend and I made kind of a last-minute decision to visit Hawaii for the first time. With no real knowledge of the island, we searched on Tripadvisor and other sites for lodging that would be affordable yet pleasant and well located. After looking at reviews and determining availabilities, we decided to stay at this B&B and just hoped it would be as described. Well, when we arrived, we were just thrilled with what we found! The Inn is perched on a hillside (about 700 ft above sea level) with a spectacular view of the ocean and shoreline. The grounds are impeccably kept and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. Pat, the owner, greeted us on arrival and got us settled in after a our very long journey from NH. The wide lanai provided a great place to lounge and take in the gorgeous views and tropical breezes. Breakfasts were always excellent with local tropical fruits and a different entree each day. Pat joined us and the other guests (all interesting and friendly folks) for enjoyable conversation each morning to start our days. She is also a wealth of knowledge about the island and provided great tips as to points of interest, restaurants, snorkeling spots, beaches, etc. There are several reasonably priced dining spots within a short drive of the B&B or one can head into the "big town" Kona-Kailua if one seeks more night life. We really preferred the peaceful environment around Captain Cook. Should you not be able to finish your Ahi for dinner, Rambo, the Inn's cat, would be happy to devour your leftovers ;-) So, in summary, we loved our stay here and will certainly return should we have the opportunity to visit the Big Island again. Great accommodations, beautiful location, hospitable hostess, and a very reasonable cost.... what more could we ask!

Room Tip: Just tell Pat what you're looking for!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carl C
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 19 February 2011

I've pondered writing a review on here for awhile about the Bay View Inn. I hate saying bad things about businesses ran by real people and it's NOT like our experience was horrible. It just wasn't very great either. Let's start with the pros: Wonderful, ample breakfasts. A hostess who will make sure you have the basics you need. A beautiful, amazing view. That "old" Hawaii feel. A wonderful, scenic location.

The cons: That insanely steep driveway that you're bound to badly scrape your rental car on (until you figure out where the curves are). The long, curvy drive required to get to the Inn, which is bordered by very steep cliff-like hills and few guardrails (this is especially freaky at night!). The little bugs and lizards that get into your room each night, despite triple-checking the doors and windows for any kind of opening. No A/C or TV in the rooms (this didn't bother us, but some people might not be able to deal with that). If you're an introvert, you'll probably hate the breakfasts - you eat with all the other guests and are forced to converse. Pat (the hostess) doesn't stay at the Inn on week nights (and she doesn't leave any contact information either), so if something happens to go wrong at night, you'll have to wait until morning for her to deal with it.

Now for the stuff that led me to rate the place a bit lower - Pat's attitude toward us. She seemed completely put off by having "young" people staying at her place (we're a married couple in our early 30's). She actually said more than once (to our face!) that young people have no interesting stories to tell. Some "older" people (in their 50s or 60s) stayed at Bay View while we were there and she fawned all over them. It was just bizarre, because my spouse and I have been to places the others talked about and have connections to some of the celebrities they discussed. I tried to chime in and share some of our tales, but Pat clearly had no interest in hearing them, so I eventually stopped bothering to try. The other weird thing was that everyday she would ask us where we were going and then try to steer us toward the touristy spots (especially the beaches). I really think she was just trying to fulfill her duties as a hostess, but since she never bothered to get to know us, she had no idea that the last place we would want to go was where all the tourists are. So it was kind of unfortunate.

So I guess, in a nutshell, if you're an "older" person, you're probably going to love staying here. Pat will engage with you and make sure you have everything you could possibly need. If you're younger though, expect to be taken care of, but a bit coldly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank somamoons
ladyinkona, Owner at Kona Bayview Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
This review was posted five months after her visit, so I'm at a disadvantage. I'm a nice person, don't remember ever treating anyone rudely, and find all my guests interesting. She must have misinterpreted something I said, or has me confused with someone else. Some guests excuse themselves from the breakfast conversation (which can last a long time!), and nobody minds.

My driveway is steep, but is good concrete, 12' wide and 60' long, lined with palms. It is straight with curves at the entrance/exit. Nobody has reported damaging their car here.

Strategically positioned under the room key is an information sheet that includes my phone number inviting guests to call me at any time, I'm always available. I'm on the property most all the time, and only ten minutes away weeknights.

There was an unusual hatch-out of tiny moths here last fall, but I normally have very few insects. The beautiful green geckos (not lizards) are common in Hawaiian homes. Most guests love them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Captain Cook
Ka'awa Loa Plantation
Ka'awa Loa Plantation
#2 of 15 in Captain Cook
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

Been to Kona Bayview Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!