“Great view and hosts”

Ka'awa Loa Plantation
Ranked #1 of 15 Captain Cook B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2008

Our stay at the Ka'awa Loa Plantation was wonderful. The suite is huge and reasonably priced - great for romantic getaways. The plantation has a great view and wonderful surroundings. The hosts are friendly and very helpful. We really enjoyed talking to them. The breakfast was very nice - full of fresh tropical fruits. We've stayed at big hotels (Hilton) and B&Bs on the Big Island and we highly recommend staying at B&Bs like the Ka'awa Loa Plantation. It is a nicer stay and much cheaper. The Ka'awa Loa Plantation is one of the best B&Bs we've stayed at and we plan on coming back.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LanceH
There are newer reviews for Ka'awa Loa Plantation

Reviewed 13 August 2008

What a great B&B!

Great location, the plantation is splendid, the view is just spectacular and the rooms are beautifuly decorated and very clean...!

We loved the outdoor lava showers, hot tub and the AWESOME steam sauna. Don't leave without trying it.!!

Your hosts will make you feel extremely welcome from the first minute of your stay. Their attention to all details is amazing... they are true professionals in tourism and will make sure your stay is very pleasant and confortable. They know all the good spots on the island, so don't be shy to ask them...

The breakfast is the best you will get on the island.

Mahalo Greg and Mike!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2008

This is a truly wonderful place and perfect for relaxing any cares away. The hosts, Greg and Michael, have lavished care and attention on their property and it shows, whether you are looking out over the bay from the large lanai or relaxing in the evening next to the open fire in the lounge. They also provide the same attention to detail to their guests, being welcoming, friendly and informative whilst still allowing for your privacy. The breakfasts are brilliant and varied and always include fresh fruit from the plantation itself.

This B&B is superbly located. The kayaking and snorkelling in the Kealakekua Bay is awesome and you may be lucky enough (like us) to be approached by pods of spinner dolphins. Because the property is uphill from the coast it remains pleasantly cooler with sea breezes during the day and mountain winds at night.

All in all, this was the perfect start to our vacation on the Big Island and if I could rate it higher than excellent I would.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2008

We stayed at Ka'awa Loa for the first portion of our honeymoon in June 2008, and it was fantastic. We stayed in a private cottage on the property, which was beautifully decorated and outfitted with its own private kitchen. The view from the main house is terrific, and we enjoyed lounging on the huge porch, which has lots of comfy chairs. The hosts, Michael and Greg are very welcoming and friendly and have great advice about local restaurants, things to do, and about Hawaii more generally. We really enjoyed their company, and the breakfasts were great.

The location of the B&B is ideal, very close to a few beaches, to the great snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay, and not too far from either the volcanoes or the beautiful beaches up in Kohala. We found it a great site from which to explore the Big Island.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dancerBoston
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I booked this bed and breakfast directly off of Trip Advisor review recommendations. I was pressed to find a place and called to ask and book my reservation. The minute I called I knew I would be heading to the right place. They were warm and friendly and I felt reassured sight unseen. The photos and the reviews do not do this place justice. It has to be experienced! It is a magical place! The hardwood, floors, the superb decor, the rooms(comfortable beds!) and overall feeling is one of care and comfort. Our room had a view of the ocean and the open windows with the breeze truly was inviting into the beauty of Hawaii. The grounds have every type of fruit(mangoes, papayas, bananas) which they serve to you with their fabulous breakfasts.
My boyfriend insisted we schedule some of our actitivies around them! Also on the grounds is a hot tub with a view of the coast line as well as some outdoor Lava showers.
Each room( I peeked!) has it's own special feel and not one is better than the other. They are all special including the downstairs suite.
A special thanks for our hosts Greg and Michael(and Stephanie too) who made us feel welcome and helped us find our way around the island!
A enthusiastic two thumbs up for the Ka'awaa Plantation for anyone traveling to the Big Island.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnaG_8
Reviewed 10 June 2008

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful honeymoon in Hawai'i. We stayed in Oahu, Big Island and Maui. The four nights we spent with Michael and Greg at Ka'awa Loa on Big Island were by far the best of our entire vacation. From the minute we arrived, they made us feel extremely welcome.

The panoramic view of the ocean was absolutely breathtaking. The homestead itself is a perfect balance of warmth, history, charm and all modern amenitites. We woke each morning to beautiful sunrises and the birds chirping - no need for alarm clocks.

Breakfast was unbelievable. Every morning we enjoyed fresh picked fruit (from the grounds), amazing pancakes or waffles, eggs, bacon and sipped fresh Kona coffee on the lanai. You never left the kitchen hungry. I felt a million miles away - it was perfect.

Every day, Michael and Greg would entertain us with tales and history of the island, and would help us plan our days. They recommended all of the great spots for us to visit. We could tell that they are extremely proud of their property, their Island and the service they provide their guests. Hospitality is in their blood.

If I was to do it all again, I would have cut short the visit to Oahu and stayed on Big Island at Ka'awa Loa for much longer - it's a true paradise.

Mahalo Greg and Michael - thanks for everything. We hope to see you again and we'd recommend this spot to anybody. If you ever need a reference, feel free to use our names. Aloha and Mahalo! Bob and Gabrielle - Ontario Canada

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bgjacelg
Reviewed 26 May 2008

I returned from a week at Ka'awa Loa Plantation Guesthouse and I can't wait to return with a slew of friends. I haven't had a vacation in years and this was the first time I visited Hawaii. I'm so glad I chose to stay in one place where I was able to get to all the special spots on the Big Island within 1-3 hours. It's away from all the busyness and commercialism so it's truly peaceful and quiet, which was exactly what I needed after a long and hard year at work.

I chose a B&B because I was going as a single woman and wanted hosts who would actually wonder where I was if I so happened to fall into hot lava or got lost on a coffee farm. Thankfully neither happened!

The location looks over a bay and you can see sky, ocean and shoreline in one swoop. The breakfasts were simply delicious - a full hot meal with fresh fruit and the renown kona coffee.

What is especially nice about a B&B is meeting other guests who are from around the world as well as Greg's and Michael's friends. One night I was invited to join them and their friends for dinner (I chipped in some $$) and next thing I knew I was listening to authentic Ha'waiian songs being played on a ukele and sung by a gifted and famous Island entertainer as well as another guest who happened to know how to hula dance. It was truly a magical evening!

Michael and Greg are impeccable hosts who were attentive to my needs yet also helped me to feel at home. Daily they gave me suggestions for what to do each day as well as kikuo oil and ibuprofen for my sun burn.

One thing to be mindful is that the location can be a little tricky to find in the dark and the driveway up to the house can be steeper than some of those I've seen in San Francisco. Even so after arriving well after dark, I managed to find my way without too much trouble.

So if you want to stay in a place with personality, which exudes warm hospitality then make your reservations for Ka'awa Loa Plantation Guesthouse.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

Been to Ka'awa Loa Plantation? Share your experiences!