“Favorite place in Hawaii!”

Ka'awa Loa Plantation
Ranked #1 of 15 Captain Cook B&B and Inns
New Haven, Connecticut
“Favorite place in Hawaii!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

It's been a while since I visited (May 2011...I can't go back that far) but I wasn't on TripAdvisor at the time...and I MUST sing praises to Michael and Greg for the most wonderful experience on any of the islands. My favorite island is actually Kauai - but my favorite place in Hawaii is Ka'awa Loa Plantation. I absolutely adore Michael and Greg, they were such sweet hosts and really made the Plantation the incredible oasis that it is.

The view...the rooms...the lanai...the fresh produce...I loved every single minute of my stay at Ka'awa Loa. Sitting and relaxing on the daybed, taking a brisk shower outside in paradise, and the spectacular food made it really hard to leave the Big Island. Thank you to Michael and Greg for one of my all-time favorite memories.

I won't consider staying anywhere else on the Big Island whenever I return, because my stay was so wonderful that I cannot think of a reason not to go back! Also, I gave them an excellent rating on "fitness center" because I really got carried away with wanting to share how great this place is. Extra excellent rating for the outdoor lava rock showers!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Ohio
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I cannot say enough about Ka'awa Loa Plantation. This B & B is such a gem. The hosts/owners, Michael and Greg, are the best. Food they prepare is so fresh and delicious, much of it made from what they grow. The setting is beautiful, high and over-looking Keleakakua Bay, which I could see from the spacious veranda. They keep on hand Hawaii supplies for guests to borrow, such as snorkel masks, fins, boogie boards, beach towels, swim noodles, etc. Came in very handy. I appreciated the advice given to me regarding local attractions and restaurants. The home is so inviting and relaxing. It felt like I was enjoying my own luxurious place, but had to do none of the work. I wish I could stay here every year. Thank you Michael & Greg!!!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The Ka'awa Loa plantation is a beautiful BnB with an incredible view of the bays along Captain Cook. Greg was a very approachable and attentive host, while still allowing lots of space and privacy for guests to relax without feeling bothered. Despite having several other families staying, the house is so spacious that you never feel crowded. This home has been set up with incredible attention to detail making your stay very comfortable and relaxing. There is a hot tub and steam room in the back yard, and the beaches are a short 10 minute drive away. Restaurants also closely by car. Breakfast provided was very delicious with lots of fruit, eggs, breads, delicious pineapple pork sausages and very good coffee. The best part of the house if the back veranda with the gorgeous view and lots of places to relax and enjoy the sunset. The Ka'awa Loa offers a very relaxing atmosphere and I only wish we could have stayed longer!

1 Thank EmilyC234
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We had a delightful five day stay at Ka'awa Loa. We stayed in the cottage, which may be a little more funky than the main house, but has more privacy. Ka'awa Loa is not a resort, but a lovely guest house, and outstanding in its category. Michael & Greg are exceedingly gracious hosts. The location is great -- close to excellent beaches and away from some of the more crowded areas. It is a fine place to stay while exploring the Big Island.

Room Tip: The cottage has a double bed and twin bed in an adjoining area -- but it is a little small for three...
Gibsons, B.C.
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Some innkeepers just make it look so easy, but with all the attention to detail at Ka'awa Loa, clearly it took thought and effort to achieve such a perfect experience for guests. We wanted three nights and were finally able to get two nights on our route from Hilo to Kailua. And trust me, you will be kicking yourself if you only stay one night! On our last day, Michael explained where to go to locally to rent a kayak, and our trip to the bay and kayaking with dolphins was a highlight of our two weeks on the Big Island. After check-out, we were invited to come back later to the house, pick up towels, and clean-up in the wonderful outdoor showers, before leaving for our next place. Now that's aloha!

1 Thank BarbaraElizabeth
Gatlinburg
Reviewed 12 March 2014

After a hot and dusty backpacking trip, my husband and I decided to spoil ourselves on our last day experiencing the Big Island...and boy did we ever! This gorgeous place happened to have one room left and we could not have been happier. From the moment we arrived we were showered with hospitality and the real Aloha spirit. From the breath taking views, to the comfy porch, to the delicious homebaked cookies and fresh Island fruit, to the hot tub, the outdoor volcano shower to the comfy bed and gorgeous breakfast, we were in heaven and regretted that we had found this treasure so late in our trip! We will be back!

Room Tip: Book early as they fill up quickly!
1 Thank VesnaGatlinburg
Napa
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Ka'awa Loa Plantation. The property is casual elegance at it's best, decorated with Hawaiian art. The buffet breakfasts were abundant and delicious. Michael baked up brownies and pineapple unside down cake for tea in the afternoon. What a treat! We loved the deck with it's wonderful view of the Kona coast. We really enjoyed the hot tub as well. Michael and Greg are wonderful hosts; so personable and humerous. This is a joyful experience.

Room Tip: Any room with at least a half bath. So you have a toilet and sink in your room.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Captain Cook
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Ka'awa Loa Plantation? Share your experiences!