My husband and I stayed at Ka'awa Loa Plantation for 3 nights on our honeymoon. We had never stayed at a B&B before, so were unsure what to expect (especially after coming from the Grand Hyatt on Kauai just before our arrival).
First impression, we had NO reason to worry. If all B&Bs are like this, we'd never stay in a hotel again. We stayed in the suite on the first floor, and were glad we did, as it had it's own bath with rain head shower and sitting area. The suite didn't have a view of the ocean, but the wrap-around porch was FANTASTIC, and for ocean views one only need walk 20 feet to the porch (the ocean view is unbelievable). The driveway up is steep, but added a sense of mystery and isolation. The house had a Gatsby feel, was VERY tastefully decorated (not a garish polyster hybiscus bedspread to be found:-), the bed felt like home, and the fireplace in the common area actually made me exhale audibly my last night there.
Greg was out the week we were there, but I'll give Michael credit...they say Greg is the cook, but Michael is no slouch at breakfast. Great eggs, and sausage, LARGE local continental breakfast spread both mornings. Left both mornings fat and happy. They borrowed mats and boogie boards to us, gave great advice, told great stories, and were easy to be around. They were incredible easy to like, and you could tell that Michael really loved what he did.
Bottom line: Gorgeous house, gorgeous view, gorgeous hosts. 10 out of 10 for us (and we're picky).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A sophisticated, plantation-style B&B ideally located directly above Kealakekua Bay. Offers luxury amenities such as an outdoor hot tub, a traditional Hawaiian cedar steam, outdoor lava rock showers, a wrap-around lanai with a Hawaiian daybed, a fireplace, and an unobstructed view of the South Kona coastline! The perfect place to base your Big Island adventures! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Ka'awa Loa Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ka`Awa Loa Plantation Hotel Captain Cook
- Ka'Awa Loa Plantation Hawaii/Captain Cook