“Disastrous”

Ka'awa Loa Plantation
Ranked #1 of 15 Captain Cook B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2009

My husband and I had the visit from hell at this place, but I do think it was a fluke - although it did ruin part of our vacation.

The hosts were nice initally, and did mention they were having a party the night we arrived when we made the reservation. We imagined a party, great, but they didn't mention that their house is extremely echoey, and you could hear every single footstep, let alone screaming and horrible, cheesy dance music that went on until quite late. After we spoke with them, they did turn down the music...unfortunately our room faced the backyard, and we could hear chatting until 2 in the morning. The next morning Michael was apologetic, but Greg placed the blame on us, saying that he had warned us beforehand. I guess we had just underestimated their rudeness. It was a really bad experience that basically made us feel uncomfortable and like we had wasted our money. We basically avoided the place until we absolutely had to go to sleep, and even then we overheard snarky remarks by the hosts and their friends. I've never had problems at other B&Bs I've stayed at - nothing like this place. A terrible experience.

I agree with the other reviewers that it did feel like a youth hostel for adults. The rooms don't lock, you share a bathroom, and it's loud.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
15  Thank thisisdesire
MichaelGreg, Owner at Ka'awa Loa Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2009

Aloha and Greetings from Ka'awa Loa, I awoke this morning to a beautiful day and lots of fun things on my plate. Little did I ever expect to have such a review written ONE YEAR AFTER your visit- today is October 8th you stayed with us NOVEMBER 2008. In fact after your stay we chnaged our policy and no longer allow people that are not part of the event to stay at the sametime so we did change our practice. My very good friend had rented the entire home for her 49th lobster party. We had a room available when you called for reservation. I could not have been more specific as to what we had going on. You had no problem with that at all and made the reservations. I would not have taken the booking nor would have had your stay at Ka'awa Loa when another group had booked the home. I informed you that we were having a big party at booking, reminded you at check in and then discussed your response the following morning. AT which time you said that you understood that that is what was communicated and it was alright. I initially felt was totally off base and your complaint was uncalled for as you agreed to the reseravtion. but our guests are always right, You and your husband knew excatly what you had booked. I do not know what might have had you write the review one year later. I am disappointed at myself that I did not turn you away at the time of your call and not allow you to make what was a extremely rare fun night with family have such a lasting bad memory. I would have been pleased to do anything to make it right NOVEMBER 2008 but now - I just do not know what to do. I appologize that we did not meet your expectations as we work extremely hard everyday to do just that. Please do not comprimise your stays in the future, You set yourself up for this experience and no one else is to blame.

Reviewed 25 August 2009

Oh how we enjoyed our stay! Thanks Greg and Michael for giving us the peace and beauty of real Hawaii! Our room was prefect, the banana pancakes were fantastic, and the porch...oh the porch! My 9 year old and I could have spent our entire vacation reading out on the porch; the most amazing and calming place on the big island. Our hosts were just want you'd want in a B&B, the spaces of the house opened, inviting, and beautiful, and the extra's just perfect. Stay here and bring a good book....you'll want to stay the entire day, curled up on the day couch, on the porch, reading and relaxing in paradise!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2009

My 18 year old son and I stayed at Ka'awa Loa Plantation for the last couple of days in July. My only regret is that we stayed for the first four days of our trip in one of the "big" (and expensive) resorts further up the Kona Coast. We stayed in the Cottage, which was perfect. It had a king size bed for me and a twin in an alcove for him. The small kitchen would have been ideal to use -- if I had had time to cook. Breakfast was delicious and friendly in the sunny and open kitchen. The back porch has a beautiful view of Captain Cook Harbor and wonderful breezes. The location, accommodations, ambiance and price make the Ka'awa Loa Plantation an unbeatable place to stay when you are on the Big Island.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank GoKathyMcE
Reviewed 1 August 2009

This bed and breakfast has it all. The property is beautiful, the house is elegant and the service is second to none. There are fruit tress all around as well as a hot tub, a sauna and outdoor showers. The property also has tropical plants everywhere, very secluded feel. The breakfast was unique and the coffee was excellent. Keep in mind that several of the rooms do not have a private bathroom, but it really does not matter because the house has plenty of space and bathrooms throughout.

The hotel has an arrangement with a company for all day kayak rentals and is only a few minutes drive from downtown Kona. Volcano's national park is about a 2-3 hour drive away. Overall, this was the best place we stayed during our two week vacation to Hawaii, and we look forward to staying there on our next trip.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We actually stayed at Ka'awa Loa Plantation over a year ago, and I'm presently typing on my laptop at a B&B in Washington D.C. to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary. My husband and I are staying for nearly a week in Tripadvisor's #1 rated B&B in D.C., but my mind often drifts back to the days my husband and I spent at Ka'awa Loa with Michael and Greg in March 2008. As a matter of fact, whenever I want to go to a "happy place", I just think of the Big Island, and Ka'awa Loa, Greg and Michael instantly pop into my mind... Right now, I need to go to a happy, peaceful and inspiring place.

The hosts of a B&B make a world of difference. Although important, it doesn't only matter how gorgeous, renovated, historical or meticulous a place is. What makes a B&B magical is the people who own it, love it, run it, maintain it and those who visit it, too. Greg and Michael in the beautiful setting of Ka'awa Loa Plantation are really top notch hosts--one of the best in the world we've traveled thus far. Sometimes words are not enough; I'll leave that up to the other reviewers who have already given us so many positive reviews of Greg and Michael's abilities as hosts. What I want to add is this: Both of these gentlemen are genuinely nice human beings who have a passion for hospitality and for people in general. It is quite apparent and cannot be explained but has to be experienced.

To Greg and Michael: Thanks for happy memories of you, your island home and the Big Island of Hawaii. These memories have lingered with me for over a year now. Taylor and I hope to see you again someday. Mahalo!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Overall, this place is great. We stayed for 3 nights in March. The view is amazing, the house is warm and comfortable. The hosts were very friendly and prepared great breakfasts. You can borrow beach towels, boogie boards, beach chairs, etc., which is really nice since few travelers bring all of this stuff with them when they go to Hawaii. We never took advantage of it, but the hosts also said we could use the big kitchen to prepare our own dinners, which would be a big money saver compared with eating out.

Here's where they lose a star: it is really not that private. We felt like we had to whisper in our room because we could hear everything the neighbors were doing. I imagine the suite would be worth getting to overcome this factor.
The hosts never gave us a key, so our room was just unlocked and available for anyone to enter while we were out (which no one ever did, to our knowledge, but it just seemed weird).
Only the suite has a private bathroom. Our room had it's own toilet and sink but we had to go across the hall to a shared shower or to the outdoor lava shower, which was lovely, but not ideal if you don't like walking through the house in your bathrobe.

I would definitely return to this place, but you have to know what you're in for. I felt like I was staying at an adult version of a youth hostile, which has its pros and cons.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights in May and cannot recommend this B & B enough. Greg and Michael are wonderful! The breakfasts are delicious and the view from the lanai is breathtaking. They are great hosts, making me feel at home instantly, even when traveling alone. They helped me make the most of my experience in the big island. I even went to a vinyasa yoga class at the "Healing Garden" overlooking the ocean! It was spectacular.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
#2 of 6 in Holualoa
Belle Vue Kona B&B
Belle Vue Kona B&B
#3 of 15 in Captain Cook

Been to Ka'awa Loa Plantation? Share your experiences!