“Come as a guest, leave as a friend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lai Nani Resort

Lai Nani Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hakalau B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Come as a guest, leave as a friend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

My husband and I came to the island last month to celebrate my 40th birthday and Lai Nani turned out to be the perfect choice. I fell in love with the place just looking at it on their website, but in real life it was much more than I expected. First of all, the place itself is absolutely stunning, with a panoramic ocean view, beautiful garden, lawns, gazebo (with a fan!), a pool with a little waterfall, etc. If I believed in paradise, this is how it would look.
Our pool side bungalow was very clean and comfortable, with a giant bed and soft pillows. Had a surprisingly good sleep there - I rarely sleep well on our trips because I almost never feel as relaxed as I did at Lai Nani.
Every morning I would wake up with birds, make myself coffee and came out to the gazebo to watch the sun rise and the whales. Every night we would spend at least an hour star gazing, the sky is so beautiful there. And during the days… There are lots of things to do during the days. Stay in and watch the wales, have cocktails in the gazebo, dip in the pool or soak in the adjacent hot tub. Or drive around and have fun. My husband and I are not into beach activities, but there are plenty of other things to do on the east side of Hawaii Island. Lai Nani is located about 15 minutes north of Hilo and almost next door to spectacular Akaka falls, Botanical Gardens, zip lining, horseback riding and other entertainment. If you drive through Hilo to the south, you’ll find black sand beaches and the volcano park. Or drive all the way down south and hike to the green sand beach or just take a look at the beautiful bright blue water of the southernmost point of the US.
The greatest part of what we liked about our stay at Lai Nani were the people and, most of all, the owner of the place, Garry. When we arrived he welcomed us with his open arms and guided us around the place and the bungalow while talking about the island activities. We had dinner reservations for my birthday, but then we were invited by Garry to share dinner with him and his friends and other guests. Garry made a fabulous prime rib with all the works and we enjoyed the company and wine on the terrace. I was surprised when the hosts took out the cake with candles to celebrate my birthday, which was completely unexpected, but so-so touching and wonderful. “You come as a guest and leave as friend,” Garry says and you believe that he really means it.
The last but not least, Garry talked us into a zip lining with the Umauma Experience and a helicopter trip with Paradise Helicopters (and I am afraid of heights. At least I thought so). Both places were fantastic and highly professional and gave us great discounts after we mentioned Garry’s name and Lai Nani.

Room Tip: Go for either of two bungalows by the pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tatiana E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed here for a week with our 3yr old boy - and we loved it!
The bungalow, the pool, the picture-postcard pavillion and the ocean view are amazing. The sign 'welcome to paradise' was no exaggeration. Gary, the owner, also gave us great travel advise and even invited us for a wonderful Christmas dinner on Christmas eve, which made our stay even more special and unfortgettable. He also was very considerate about the little one.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Redcar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Simply superb. Although this review is long overdue - and my apologies for the tradiness - My partner and I stayed with Gary and Cory back in June of 2012, hiring a car and touring the Hawaiian islands for a month. We spent 3 nights here and couldn't have been happier. Upon arriving Cory took us on a guided tour of the grounds and the local area, explaining all the attractions and suggesting activities for us to do.

The rooms/bungalows were clean, tidy and well supplied - from a self catering perspective all we wanted was the BBQ and a local shop to buy groceries from, which although not a walk away was only a 10 minute drive. But you do have microwave etc.

The bed was comfy, the sheets clean - and we got 3 very well rested nights here after a lot of walking and exploring through the day.

The tireless work that goes into maintaining the grounds does not go unnoticed - we were blown away by its beauty, spending our evenings in an Eden like paradise with the pool all to ourselves and the music system playing our selection of music from the iPod as we relaxed and took in the place.

In short this is a sublime place, although a little out of the way from the main town, we enjoyed that as our goal was to have a road trip - it was lovely to come back to a friendly welcome and a beautiful home.

Thanks guys for all of your help. We would make a point of staying here again without question.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim S
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Our stay at Lai Nani was great! From the zip lining, amazing ocean views, private accomodations, and personal attention, this place had it all. I would highly recommend staying here if you are looking for that local feel with a resort atmosphere. I will say, be ready to cook your meals as there are not many restaurants nearby and rent a car. Gary and Cory were amazing hosts and truly made our trip that much more memorable :) We look forward to staying here next time we come to Hilo!

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed at lai nani the owners Garry and Cory were very nice and helpful took me zip lining and horse back riding. Resort is really clean has nice ocean views and the yard has lots of beautiful plants and flowers. Can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Hi me my two children and husband had the time of our life staying at lai nani resort. We got to swim in the pool and relax in the jacuzi. The owner Garry made us a wonderful prime rim dinner and also took us sight seeing to the beautiful waterfalls.

• Stayed June 2013
La Grange, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

The property is in a very good location for visiting the Hilo area waterfalls and botanical gardens. Lai Nani is beautiful with gorgeous gardens and a lovely pool and hot tub overlooking the ocean. The room we stayed in was air conditioned, comfortable and right by the pool. We especially enjoyed the stunning ocean views. However, we were disappointed that the room was not cleaned daily. We had to wash our own dishes from the breakfast that we prepared ourselves, and would have liked fresh towels. The owner and his son were very friendly and would have provided extra towels if we had asked, but it would be better to not have to ask for everything. Guests already have to ask beforehand to turn on the hot tub since the switch was in a locked box. We also ended up with ants that got into some food that we had purchased. It would also be a good idea for the owners to put some sort of shade or curtain up in the bathroom for a feeling of privacy for guests who are showering.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hakalau
The Palms Cliff House Inn
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Dolphin Bay
Dolphin Bay
#2 of 8 in Hilo
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to Lai Nani Resort? Share your experiences!