“The perfect holiday.”
Review of Puakea Ranch

Puakea Ranch
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My partner and I have recently returned from a week long stay at James Cottage - Puakea Ranch and we are both still on cloud nine. Traveling from London, we couldn't wait to get there and relax, and Puakea Ranch offered the perfect place to unwind. The cottage is just beautiful. The ranch is a short drive to the beach, and even shorter drive to the local town of Hawi, which boasts a number of gorgeous shops and restaurants. Having planned all our activities on the plane to Kona, we threw it away as soon as we saw the Ranch. Puakea Ranch offers a number of activities - walks around the Ranch, horse riding, morning yoga to dolphin watching. There is everything you could ever need, but you are also given complete privacy to enjoy your cottage and it's surrounding to the full. We spent our days at the beach and evenings cooking on our BBQ, followed by a dip in our private hot tub. We got stuck into the herb/veggie/fruit garden next to our cottage and the fresh eggs that are available every morning from the farm chickens. There is nothing to fault about this place, it truly is perfection and the friendly locals and gorgeous weather are just the icing on the cake. We are already planning our next trip to Puakea and our next.....Christie and Jay, what a fantastic place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 May 2013

To celebrate my 40th birthday with my family, I was looking for just the right vacation spot. I wanted a secluded setting, to ride horses almost every day, and have access to ocean beaches and beautiful warm weather. We were so lucky to find Puakea Ranch, the perfect destination with everything I wanted, the best birthday present!

My family stayed at the Miles Away cottage in complete bliss for 7 days. The cottage was beautifully remodeled, great kitchen, so welcoming and comfy. We all had the best meals, the best sleep, and the best dreams. The fresh eggs and garden are truly unique, I can't ever go back to a resort where these aren't offered.

The horse riding facilities were perfect for what I wanted and wrangler Jana was very helpful and knowledgeable. She has great plans for the outside ring, trails and a cross country course (can't wait for that!).

The energy of the ranch and the whole North Kohala area is incredible, a vibrant and sacred place. Ancient Hawaiian ruins and temples surround and King Kamehameha's birth place is practically across the street.

We can't wait to go back and one word really sums it up...magical!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My husband and I spent our Honeymoon in the Cowboy House at Puakea Ranch. The house was historical, charming, clean, and romantic. The grounds have a pool, porch, hammock and picnic table out front for relaxing. There are fresh eggs and fruit put out everyday to take for guests. The property was beautiful, horses grazing, beautiful sunsets. You are close to the town of Hawi for groceries, coffee, and restaurants. The beach is a little drive away, maybe 15 min. Great spot to feel totally off the grid, if you like to cook and stay in. A little too far from the beach and other towns, although Hawaii in general, you have to drive a lot to see the whole island.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My husband I recently spent 8 days here in total relaxation. It was exactly what we needed. We were looking for somewhere that my husband could unwind from a very stressfull job. This turned out perfect, with our own cool down pool and the quiet of the property it was perfect. We stopped at Costco on the was from the airport and with the fresh eggs everymorning, fresh herbs from the garden and mangos and papayas that were ripe. The horses were friendly as well as the dogs that live there. The bed slept great but I know that can be very subjective. Josh the caretaker stopped by everyday to see if we needed anything. The only down size was the mosquitoes which seem to think we were their personal blood supply. I left the repellent there for the next renters coming in. The geckos were pleantiful (think GEICO). I would recommend this for anniversary, birthdays's ,honeymoons, and wedding site.(you can rent the whole property). Being at the north end of the island it was like not to hot, not to wet. We had a nice trade wind most of the trip which kept it cool. When they stop it can become a little warm, but heh we are from Oregon where 60' is balmy. I would go back anytime.

Room Tip: Miles Away perfect for a couple, or a family with 2 kids, since the bath and shower are in a separte...
Reviewed 26 April 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights, 5 days at Puakea Ranch staying in the Cowboy House. What a wonderful relaxing time we had and the best part was sleeping like a baby every night in a very comfortable bed. We loved having fresh eggs for breakfast and fresh picked ingredients for our salads at dinner. This was our 3rd time to the ranch with the other times spent in Miles Away. Christie has done so much to keep this ranch in the spirit of the islands with their history and traditions. She has a wonderful eye for details and decor. The big island is my favorite island to visit and I can't imagine staying anywhere than Puakea Ranch. Thanks, Christie!

Reviewed 25 April 2013

We only spent four nights and five days at the Ranch but I can tell you I will be back for a much longer stay. From fresh vegatables from the garden and fresh eggs daily from the hen house to the quiet star filled skies at night, it was one of the most relaxing times I've ever had. The beds rival some of the best hotels in the world. The kitchens were stocked with everything you needed to cook up gourmet meals. I highly recommend staying here as an alternative to the resort hotels, you won't be dissipointed.......Nice job Christie Cash!!

Room Tip: They are all great but my favorie would be Miles Away.
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We spent a wonderful "all family" week there with all our children and grandchildren. We had the chance to experience all of the homes and grounds and found nothing to be lacking. When we were wondering about a bit more room for the older grandkids, Christie worked with us to rent a totally refurbished 1955 Airstream trailor,Little Wally. Christie accomodated us with every little worry we had, two cribs moved in for the really little ones. The location, amenities, staff, all were stellar. The beds, linens, kitchen ware, propane BBQ's, hot tubs, etc. etc. were all that we had hoped for and more. We totally enjoyed gathering fresh eggs from the hen house, met the Little Black Hen that was the only survivor from a mongoose, and the vegetables from the wonderful garden provided was A-plus Just like a Beatrix Potter garden. The extra specials aren't even shown from the photos. The setting is like being totally private on a Swiss Family Robinson Island. I didn't even leave the Ranch for 5 days because it was so amazing. It was a total perfect perfect vacation from ages 3 months to 72, and there were 15 of us.The Tox Box room for kids was extraordinary. We WILL be returning. Also for a P.S., it is a perfect paradise for photo bugs or artists. I was VERY SAD to leave, but know we'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank carilyn v
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawi
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kohala Village Inn
Kohala Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Hawi
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Puakea Ranch? Share your experiences!