“Pure Relaxation, Elegance and Magic of the Big Island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Puakea Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawi
Puakea Ranch
Hilo, Hawaii
“Pure Relaxation, Elegance and Magic of the Big Island!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I was lucky to have spent five nights in Yoshi's house with a group of friends. I still have a glow from the memories of last weeks stay.
I am originally from California, but currently reside on the Islands east side in Hilo. It was a pure treat to experience the magic of Puakea Ranch. From visiting other resorts on the Kohala coast of the big island, I can honestly say that staying at the ranch is the best way to experiencing the magic of the big island. Some of the best beaches and vistas are all within a short drive away. The town of Hawi, has everything that you would want, simple dining, grocery stores and a perfect adorable coffee short to sit back and experience small town Hawaii.
Staying at Yoshi's house captures the feel of true Hawaii.
My best memories are enjoying sunset diner on the porch with Maui in the distance. Other magical memories include horseback riding around the property with the ocean in the horizon and picking fresh herbs from the garden for meals that evening.
The privacy of the house is there, and you feel complete relaxation from all aspects. The Japanese style bath and outdoor stone lap pool are spectacular! I could go on and on about why this is a perfect place to stay on this island. I will be returning back soon with locals and family visiting from the mainland as soon as possible. The Staff create a wonderful welcoming environment. It was hard to leave last week! And as I said, I will be back soon.
Mahalo Puakea Ranch!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The big Island is lovely. The town of Hawi is a gem. The Island folks are so warm and inviting. Puakea Ranch could be as perfect as all the reviews if only...

The cottage seemed a bit run down. Furniture, beds, rugs, kitchen and bath areas are somewhat worn and stained. Wood window in bathroom and wood counter in kitchen could use attention. Wood does rot in humid climates when exposed to water. Few dishes, glasses and pans in one unit. Worn beach chairs, no cooler. Wardrobes for closets are "antique" and smell of something one wouldn't want to put clothing in.

The property is right off the main highway. Groceries, supplies and restaurants are some distance up or down the busy road. Views of the ocean are across the highway in the distance.

Considering the prices and cleaning fees Puakea Ranch charges, it might be easier to rent a home with a private pool closer to beaches or a small town at the same cost. Lastly, the owner of a "small specialty" establishment should be honest, trustworthy and knowledgeable in the hospitality business. The reviews are absolutely glowing but it might be a good idea to investigate other choices before booking at Puakea Ranch based on reviews. It might be worth a stay if the cottages were half the price and the owner was not so difficult to work with.

Happy to further discuss the stay at Puakea Ranch anytime.

Room Tip: If you must visit Puakea Ranch, try for Yoshi's House. Better equipped with view. Cottage by ga...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank soleil4018
cc5597, Owner at Puakea Ranch, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Oh, this same couple who posted on Aug. 12th. If any of what they are saying was even remotely true, surly at least one more of the 85 other reviews would mention the same things. Everything they are saying is simply not true and they are going out of their way to hurt our small business. I will address the Location comments as they are so absurd. The town of Hawi is 2 min. away from the ranch. Hawi is a quite, authentic, plantation town, still untouched by Starbucks. It offers not one, but Two local markets where you can find everything you need for a wonderful week stay of cooking in our kitchens. We also have a lovely garden for you to pick from and don't forget about our fresh eggs and many fruit trees you can enjoy as well. Hawi also has several nice restaurants, wonderful art galleries, specialty gift shops, coffee, fudge and ice cream shops and tons of activities. The Mauna Kea Beach resort is a short 15 min. drive south with one of the best beaches in the world, golf, more restaurants etc. This couple is just very upset we did not refund them once they were within our cancellation deadline. I recommend trip insurance.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Yoshi's House, at Puakea Ranch, couldn't be recreated. The mix of ancient stone walls, 19th and 20th century ranch fences, garden, pastures, yards, tree lined drives, a charming ranch/plantation home beautifully restored and appointed, Japanese style bathhouse, garage/open shed, and pool is magical, the sheltered but open view setting for it all perfect and the people and animals of the property ideal. Whether basing here to explore the island or settling in and never leaving there, it is the best possible choice a visitor to the Big Island could make. Four friends and I stayed there for the last four nights of a longer trip and couldn't have been happier. It lends itself well to everything from enjoying the place to enjoying each other, and does so effortlessly.

Room Tip: Chat with Christie over the phone. She describes the various homes on the property very well, as we...
cc5597, Owner at Puakea Ranch, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Nothing makes us happier at the ranch than reading these reviews. We are a small team of dedicated people who strive to create the most relaxing and ideal vacation for all of our guests. The ranch property is such a unique and special place. We know we have a great job in tending to this incredibly beautiful property and scared land. We hope you will return to Puakea again and again. Mahalo for your post. Christie, Josh & the Girls!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This was my first trip to Hawaii. I of course had many ideas in my head of how it would be and what I would do. I never really gave too much thought to the actual location or experience of where I was going to be staying until the very end of the planning process.
A friend invited me to stay with him and a few others at Puakea Ranch in Yoshi's house. Of course I researched what that would entail, but have to say that pictures do not do it justice! The house is beautifully set back at the end of a tree lined gravel road. The wrap around porch has a beautiful view of the ocean, Maui and gorgeous sunsets.
The house is perfect in all of it's details down to the selection of books. The fully stocked kitchen has everything tool, dish and device you could possibly need to cook large meals each day. Add to that the ability to take the supplied baskets down to cut fresh kale, herbs and gather eggs. Practically the entire house can open up, as it is almost entirely lined with doors and windows. The open concept is perfect for never missing the conversation or the sunset, even from the kitchen. The bedrooms are quaint and very very cozy. All the furniture is comfortable and well selected for the space. There is never a lack of seating for dining or for lounging.
No detail is missed. We used the dishwasher, washing machine, food processor and they even supply a Jawbone to plug your ipod into to supply the mood music. There are even 2 fun and friendly dogs that live on the ranch that we quickly adopted as our own having all left our furry friends back home.
The pool is beautiful. It fits perfectly into the setting with the lava rock and simple design. I didn't even realize there was going to be a bath house until I arrived. As someone who is very critical of details, I have to say that this was the nicest I have seen. Nothing was overlooked in here. I could have spent the entire stay in that tub! It really has to be seen to be believed.
The staff were all so wonderful. This includes the horses, dogs, goats and chickens the reside on the Ranch. You should find time to Horseback ride as well. She was a great teacher filled with wonderful information about the property. We liked her so much we asked her to dine with us :)
The best beach on the island is about 15-20 minutes down the road. The nicest beach I have ever seen. There is also a very cute town about 10 minutes north to do your grocery shopping, eat and shop.
I would (and will) stay here again. The most difficult thing about Puakea Ranch is getting yourself to leave it. We kept just wanting to stick around the house and the property. Make sure you tack a few extra days on just to stay put :)

Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

This is my third trip to the ranch. Every time I come I just want to be here more! Christie keeps making things better with each stay. Josh, the all around ranch boss takes great care of the ranch and the visitors. Lise, the gardener tells us all about the different plants and grows an organic garden which we eat from everyday, along with fresh eggs from the chickens, papayas, avocados, limes and bananas. If you want to be in the real old Hawaii, I highly suggest the Puakea Ranch. It's a perfect place to rest, recover, and rejuvenate!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
cc5597, Owner at Puakea Ranch, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
We LOVE welcoming you back again and again Jill!
Waimea, Hawaii
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We just stayed at this incredible ranch, had a wonderful time, and never wanted to leave but instead to just enjoy the views and the carefully preserved authenticity of the paniolo lifestyle with some lovely upgrades like a gorgeous bath house and luxurious bedding! We woke to birds singing and sun streaming through coconut fronds and plumeria flowers. The smells were delightful!

The kitchen was well provisioned, we were able to BBQ and enjoy meals on the lanai. In the morning, we had fresh eggs, which were in the fridge and could be replenished by a trip to the chicken coop after feeding time. We had fresh basil from the ranch garden, opened a coconut and macnuts from the ranch fruit stand, and added limes from the surrounding trees to our drinks! We even visited the goats and horses. This time we stayed at Yoshi's house and sweet pool provided hours of raucous enjoyment and relaxation. Little details are everywhere. Even the clothes pins on the line are decorated! Washer and dryer was available with soap and clear directions, although air drying in that warm breeze is fabulous.

This is not a hotel experience, it is much, much more! It is a ranch on acres of land with open spaces, sweet nooks of plants and animals, and beauty everywhere! If this is what you are looking for you will love the experience.This is the third time we have stayed here and it continues to be a magical experience for all!

As far as the recent negative reviews, I am glad we booked again before I saw these. I can only think that these folks (it seems like both Portland reviews are related as they mention some of the same details in the same time frame), were looking for a more sterile experience. We did not have any problem with beds or kitchen. It is a tropical location so one might encounter bugs here and there, but certainly no bed bugs! The road mentioned is simply the road that one uses to access that part of the island. The location is wonderful because it is both private and close to the wonderful experiences in Kohala. The cottages are as promised, lovingly restored from authentic ranch houses. And that bathtub is a wonderful as it looks in the pictures!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is what Hawaii is all about. We have traveled the big island for six years now, and can't say there is a place quite like this. The old farm houses are re-done in the most perfect way. The bath house was really impressive with a beautiful copper bathtub. At night you enjoy the peaceful breeze going through the windows. The kitchen of the house we stayed has anything a good chef can ask for, and you can get any ingredients right there in the very cute Hawi town.

The view of the sunset will take your breath away, and the drive up to the cottage (We stayed in "Yoshi's house) is a beautiful ride with a lovers lane set of trees. The pictures looked nice but the real deal is even nicer.

We will be coming back for sure, you get the luxuries of a good resort only you are the only one staying in your cottage. The manager is a lovely and friendly man who was ready to help us with anything, horse rides? fresh eggs from the free range chickens? Impeccable pool?

We know now where we will be staying every year :) This is great for families, romance or groups of friends.

Room Tip: Yoshi's house is the nicest, it has a lovely stone pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AGP8
cc5597, Owner at Puakea Ranch, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Wow, I just loved reading your review. The ranch truly is a very unique way to experience Hawaii. Reading that you have visited our island so many times and we are your new favorite, just made my week! Thank you.

Each day, everyone involved in Puakea Ranch, do their very best to create a very special experience for our guests. I am so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope you will come to think of Puakea Ranch is your second home on The Big Island. We hope to see you again soon.

Christie & all your friends at Puakea Ranch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawi
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hawaii Island Retreat at Ahu Pohaku Ho`omaluhia
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Puakea Ranch? Share your experiences!