“Nice atmosphere but.........”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have eaten here several times over the last couple years and always come away disappointed. It's not bad, it's just lacking, especially the food, any zing! The wait help are very nice, it's a good place to sit around and talk over dinner, it's nicely decorated, but the food could use some pizzazz. I recently had chicken there and it was a very small piece of chicken with some pasta, kind of tasteless. I love Italian food, but Cafe Concerto is not a culinary delight.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

The garden like room with two small bistro tables on the Hilo sidewalk and the friendly waitress led me to think I had found a fabulous hole-in-the-wall dining spot in Hilo, Hawaii, Unfortunately our table of 4 left extremely disappointed. The Chicken Potacchio was a special - tasteless red sauce on angel hair pasta barely warm. The pre-cooked chicken breast with a tad of red sauce on the side had not been heated and was cold at the center. The Penne Pasta with Ragu Sauce was equally tasteless and cold. My friend ordered a side of meatballs with this Penne dish and received a cold pile of hamburger. There are not a lot of Italian choices in Hilo, so I was sad for myself and the owner. Even the friendly chef's visit could not help this disaster. Where was the effort? The BYOB was the best part of the meal.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

My husband and I chose an evening at Cafe Concerto to celebrate our 8th anniversary and we weren't disappointed. We made reservations for 7pm and were given a cute little table for two in the outdoor patio section of the restaurant. That is, once we found the place. Look for the greenery and street numbers on either side because, from the direction we were travelling, there was no signage. Parking was along the building next to the cafe. I am glad we were seated on the patio, as the inside was very bright and quite noisy with two other groups dining there. Two servers were on duty that evening and both made sure we didn't wont for anything. We brought our own wine and were happy there was no corkage fee. The owner of the restaurant is also the chef and he came out to visit with us during the meal. Very nice.

But on to the food: the menu is limited, but appropriate. We shared a salad to start, then I had the cheese and spinach ravioli and hubby had the penne pasta dish. The pasta is handmade and delicious! I liked that the amount of food on my plate was just right. Too many places give either too much or too little. For dessert, I chose the tirimisu and my husband had the ice cream dish. To finish, we both enjoyed the lemony digestive that was also made by the chef. Overall, it was a lovely meal and we would love to go back. The entire meal, including tax and tip, was under $50. At home, for a meal like this, we would have paid close to a hundred. Excellent value!

Reviewed 25 February 2013

This place is BYOB, you need to know this first thing so you don't forget to bring your own bottle of Red.

We ate out 2-3 times a day for over a week on this side of the island (Hilo) and this was by far our best meal. It wasn't even close. That's it; that's all I'm going to say.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Terrific authentic Italian food where you might not expect it. The chef/owner makes some specialties you won't find elsewhere in Hilo. Comfy casual atmosphere and friendly waitstaff.
Highly recommended.