“B&B Confusion”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“B&B Confusion”
Reviewed 1 July 2008

The Bay House is in a great location and superficially, seems nice. However, I would not recommend it to anyone.

On arrival, I was greeted by the husband. He showed me the room, told me where to park, handed me a cheap eats guide of which he couldn't tell me how to get to the restaurant that I selected, and then buggered off leaving me and my husband to fend for ourselves.

The rooms are nicely appointed, each containing a private balcony, or lanai. However, the garden is overgrown and the mosquitoes come out in full force at dusk which makes it hard to enjoy sitting outside.

Once the sun sets, the mozzies are then replaced with a cacophony of frogs and other insects which makes it near impossible to sleep. Thankfully ear plugs are provided for light sleepers.

There is a small open area when you walk in which is neither a lounging area or proper kitchen. There is a fridge to store food, but no sink for preparation. We brought in food for dinner and I had to search the cupboards for plates, utensils, etc. We had to wash the dishes in our bathroom sink which is a bit weird to me.

The owners were absent throughout most of our stay which is fine if you want privacy but not so great when you need assistance. I had to repeatedly knock on their door before someone answered so that we could get a bread knife to slice a loaf.

The breakfast was cold hard boiled eggs and some fruit and banana bread. The food is left out, so again, no service but help yourself.

I prefer feeling like a welcomed guest in a B&B rather than someone confined to a room whose food is set out for them so this was not the place for me.

I imagine there are more professionally run B&Bs in the area. I would look around before booking this one, despite how well presented it is in photos.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kmagedman
HiloKine, owner at The Bay House, responded to this review, 11 July 2008
Yikes! We are so sorry you were unhappy here. We wish you had talked to us before time so we could have answered your concerns or rectified the situation. Just a phone call, note, or email would have been nice. We are sorry the big blue binder full of menus, things to do etc. and the book with directions and pictures of our local restaurants sitting on the coffee table did not suffice. We apologize that Tom did not know where the specific restaurant you were looking for was. As for the "garden", this is actually an oceanfront cliff and we, by law, are not allowed to cut down anything on it. This could cause erosion and not only put our own property in jeopardy of falling into the ocean, but also that of all our neighbors. You also mentioned having no sink in the common area. When we applied for the B&B permit years ago, it specifically stipulated that we could NOT have a sink in the guest area. Having a sink, at that time, would have changed our status into an "ohana" or even a vacation rental and our request for the B&B permit would have been denied. We gladly bus all dishes brought out after you have used them. The drawers in that area are full of plates and cutlery for the dedicated use of our guests. As for the coqui frogs, yes, they are definitely a part of the landscape here in Hilo. Ear plugs are provided for your comfort and convenience. Since we are right next to a big jungle, we do have mosquitoes at times. This is because we are in the tropics and it does rain in Hilo. Again, and we cannot emphasize this enough, if you have issues with your accommodations, please, talk to us when you are here! We want you to be happy! Once you leave, it is too late. Your vacation is over. If you had asked us while you were here, we could have explained all these things to you so that you could have a better experience or at the very least had your concerns answered. Thank you.
Tom and Tina Jimenez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
East Tennessee
Reviewed 5 June 2008

The Bay House was a great get away... much better than a standard hotel. The owners, Tina & Tom, are very sweet and helpful with all your needs wheather about the Bay House or surrounding sights. Beautiful rooms, fantastic breakfast, great view of the bay, and lovely common room with games and tour books on Hilo -- which were also very helpful. Fantastic first stay. Thanks Tina and Tom for going out of your way to make us feel so welcome and confortable. See you both on our next stay.

• Liked — Comfortable, clean, tropical, and friendly hosts.
  • Disliked — Not enough time to stay as long as we would have liked to.
Atlanta
Reviewed 22 May 2008

Ditto all the other reviews: satisfying breakfast, delightful hostess, idyllic location, classy decor, sounds of waves and frogs, WiFi, convenient location, and a thoughtful common area for meeting other guests, IF you want. I hesitate to offer any suggestions b/c Tina did SO many things well. But this is a humid climate and you WILL feel clammy after your shower, even with the ceiling fan. All the rooms share the open outside air (teenagers are downstairs), so your use of your room should be relatively quiet. Admitably, we are sensitive to annoying, persistant mechanical noises, but each morning we heard some weirdo, nonstop background noise. Finally, visit the Tsunami Museum AFTER your stay so that the vulnerability of your bed is a done deal. Really, folks, you will leave here feeling happy.

• Liked — The ambience and the view of the harbor at night
  • Disliked — Mechanical noises
1 Thank AtlantaJune
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 1 May 2008

Beautiful setting, wonderful clean room, yummy breakfast, although there should have been more than one cup of coffee per person available.

The only downside to our visit was the owner Tina--made us feel like we were intruding on her space. Hardly spoke to us except to show us where things where. Surprised to read all the reviews here say she was so friendly, helpful and welcoming.

She was not rude by any means, but it was so strange to stay at a place where you didn't feel welcome. She was very friendly and chatty with other couple, but actually turned her back to us as we left, never said goodbye ,or thanked us for coming. it was weird to say the least. And really, we are real nice friendly people!

2 Thank iLuvKona2
Vallejo, CA
Reviewed 25 April 2008

My husband and I had reservations at the Bay House Bed and Breakfast, but when ATA went bankrupt we were left without a reasonable alternative to get to Hawaii. I contacted them and they offered to honor our reservation for a year, even though the date for cancellation had already passed. They didn't have to offer this and it made me all the more excited about staying there later this year when we reschedule our trip. Thank you Tom and Tina!!!
Charlene

1 Thank MitchVallejo
Seattle
Reviewed 24 April 2008

We were only here one night basically long enough to sleep and I'm so sorry because it was such a great location. The rooms were beautiful and it was right on the bay which you could see and hear all night. We also were serenaded all night by a large number of bull frogs! I'm a light sleeper and thought this would be a problem so we closed all the windows and could still hear them. But there were so many and they were so contant that it was white noise really. The frogs are everywhere in Hilo so don't think you can escape them going somewhere else.

Breakfast if served on each persons porch which I liked as an opportunity to just have time with my husband (for those who like visiting with the hosts I guess it does not accomplish that.) It is really convienant to town.

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank groundedflyer
Hawaii
Reviewed 9 April 2008

The Bay House B&B is the best ever!!!!
We have been staying there for 10 years, and wouldn't think of going anywhere else in Hilo.
The rooms are always imaculate, beautifully decorated and very comfortable!!!
The breakfasts are first rate, and the owners will accomidate any requests!!
And, oh, the owners!!! They are fantastic!! Not only are they warm and friendly, they are always looking for ways to help their clients out. As an example, this year at Merrie Monarch Festival time (the Olympics of Hula), everyone staying there got leis to wear to the preformance!! And they were special!!!
I can't reccomend this B&B highly enough!!! They more than go the extra mile!!!
Alix and Carroll, Hana, HI

• Liked — The hosts
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to The Bay House? Share your experiences!