“Bay House B&B Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bay House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hilo
The Bay House
Ranked #3 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Bay House B&B Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I recently spent 5 nights at the Bay House. This was my first time to Hawaii and the trip lived up to all expectations. The Bay House was so accommodating and made sure we had all of the assistance or advice on local activities that we asked for. The room (and balcony) were very clean and the entire property was well kept. We could not have asked or expected any more. They even had covered parking for my car!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Bay Room, perfect view, very comfortable and clean room. Tina was an excellent host...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Fleming, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I can't say enough about how fabulous the BayHouse is to stay at. Tom and Tina are friendly accommodating hosts suggesting great places to see. My husband had a blast golfing. The fresh fruit from the Farmer's market was a delicious treat every morning. After a long cold snowy winter the lush green scenery and warm weather refilled my soul. We delighted in starting the morning with delicious coffee on the lanai listening to the waves and watching the sun come up over the ocean. The bed was very comfortable. In the evenings we walked downtown for supper. We will definitely be back to stay at this wonderful B&B.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Nicely appointed B & B. Situated right on Hilo Bay with 3 rooms. We stayed in the Palm room which was on the corner with a great view. Smaller lanai than others, but that was fine as this much more of a base for us to explore the east side. Tina is a nice host and I appreciated her hands off approach with us. I don't love B&B accommodations, but this was the perfect compromise as you had breakfast on your lanai, not making awkward smalltalk with strangers. The room had a warm tropical motif and was comfortable and neat. I had some of the best sleep there and actually woke up once thinking I was home! It was especially nice coming from a few days at the Fairmont which had a corporate feel. The frogs have been mentioned before, but we had no problem close the windows or enjoy them as white noise with the bay waves and remember you are far from home and that is a good thing! Breakfast is delicious and perfectly portioned. You are in a great spot for exploring this side of the island (40 minutes to Volcano and hour to Mauna Kea) and Hilo itself is a fun, albeit a little honky tonk town. Enjoy a little "real" Hawaii and spend a few days here.

Room Tip: Palm Room is on the end and more private, but not the biggest, but in my opinion the best.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

This is an awesome place to stay in Hilo. Tina was the best hostess we have had this far in our travels! Tina's breakfasts are amazing with hot and cold items including fresh fruit! And just enough to eat. I loved the breakfasts because they were well thought out and not just a poptart, bagels, and English muffins thrown at you! Tina goes all out! The best part about this B&B? You don't have to eat breakfast with strangers! I loved that part the best! Thanks Tina for everything! Mahalo Nui! We will be back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Beautiful, comfortable rooms and wonderful hosts. We loved the delicious breakfast tray set out in the morning to take back to our room to enjoy. Great location just across the bridge from downtown. Easy walk to most attractions. Exceptionally clean! Covered parking.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Palm room and enjoyed being on the end by ourselves. Lovely view.
Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I spent 2 nights here and wish we would have stayed longer. Tina, the hostess, was wonderful. Very nice and gave us our privacy. The view from our lanai was breathtaking. And the breakfast she provided was perfect. Fresh, local fruit with a sausage egg scramble that was better than my own. Very clean and in a great location within walking distance from downtown (lots of good restaurants). We stayed in the Harbor Room and would recommend it to any couple. And the best bed I have ever slept on.

Room Tip: Any of the three rooms would be great. Each has their own lanai.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

This was our first time at the Bay House Inn, and from the minute you walk in the door to your room, you know you're someplace special. I loved being right on the bay, listening to the waves lapping (or crashing) on the shore. Other comments have mentioned the coqui frogs, but I will not downgrade my rating because of a phenomena that is not the fault of the proprietor. Bring good earplugs. The frogs will serenade you from sundown until midnight. Then they pretty much shut up until the next evening. We heard them all over Hilo, so this is not unique to the Bay House. I found the earplugs effective.

The room was cozy, but comfortable, and my husband and I slept well. It is conveniently located near downtown, and there are several good restaurants to choose from in the area. The owner is very accommodating and the breakfastchoices are adequate - better than most chain hotels. We also appreciated the carport!

One caveat I will mention: The Bay House is not handicapped accessible. The rooms are all on the second floor, and the outside stairs are not handicapped friendly. So if your hips or knees cannot climb a flight of stairs carrying a suitcase, you may want to look elsewhere.

1 Thank trnmgr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel

Been to The Bay House? Share your experiences!