“Great value and location”
Review of Hilo Seaside Hotel

Hilo Seaside Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
New York
“Great value and location”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This property is charming. A very good value and clean rooms. Fridge in room along with coffee pot. I had a breakfast included booking which was excellent, with three selections and great service. The staff was exceptional, went above and beyond with friendliness and service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The lobby has beautiful Hawaiian decor, with an adjacent fish pond. The receptionists are gracious and helpful. There are some courts inside with lush plants and flowers. This was a draw for me. We experienced rain at night, and the roof really resounds with the pounding sound. We were not prepared for the airplanes overhead, but it seems to stop after 9:30 p.m. The hotel is next to the International airport, a very convenient place for businessmen, we saw. Received a voucher for breakfast, which offers the same as the hotel in Kilo. Seems to be on the industrial side, even though it's on the end of the peninsula where the Japanese gardens and more luxurious hotels reside. I did notice that when you walk in with a breakfast voucher, the restaurant (attached) puts you in the back. When I was alone, I was embarrassed to be the only one there. The service is good, considering you are in the back. Because I drink decaf coffee, I had to wait longer for my refill. I wished for a third refill, but she was so busy, and after 15 minutes, I left. This is a good value for the price. The room was small, with a small TV, but it was clean and comfortable. I do recommend the Hilo Bay Cafe on Hiway 11. It's near the Walmart store, on your left in a strip, as you drive in. It's a classy place; the food is excellent, ample and carefully prepared. We two split beef short ribs and each had an appetizer. It was certainly enough for me and my daughter. Also I recommend the Cafe Presto. I went inside for a smoothie, and the server was very accommodating, and the smoothie was great on a hot, humid day. Note: I think local Hawaiians come to this Seaside hotel, when they are in town for family reunions or business, and they love it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night on a driving tour around the Big Island. It fully met our expectations. The oceanview room was not large but had a comfortable king size bed, lanai, and a small washroom but in good condition. The staff at the reception were pleasant and very helpful. The hotel has a swell, clean swimming pool with attractive ferns bordering it which makes it a great place to cool off and relax after a day's drive. We enjoyed dinner in the restaurant and would rate the cuisine as very good. It was busy, which is anther good sign. All in all the Seaside, while old fashion perhaps in its construction, was a clean, comfortable place to stay a night- and with friendly service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
singapore
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Too old, too small would be the best I can muster for this "hotel". "Clean" cannot be used to describe this place. "Dusty" and "Grimy" would be more appropriate.

Room Tip: Tip? Don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank worddict
kimiwoodd, Manager at Hilo Seaside Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
I am sorry to that you did not have a good experience at our hotel. It appears that you would have been better suited at a brand name hotel, rather than our Hawaiian Family Owned Hilo Seaside Hotel. Our chain of hotels are celebrating 50 years of warm Hawaiian Hospitality, and we strive to give great customer service to our guests. In order to succeed, I would like to know more of the specifics in which you feel that we fell short of your expectations. Please contact me. Patti Kimi Woodd

Travellers are raving about these Hilo hotels

CA Central Coast
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed one night on our way to vacation in a private home elsewhere on the island. This hotel is a very basic, but clean place to stay. Don't expect a resort. Our room was small, but everything was in working order and the beds were comfortable. Our room did have a slight musty smell to it, but we got the impression that happens no matter where you stay in the area... it's the result of the very humid environment. We loved the fact that this property is long-established and owned and run by locals; the staff was super friendly, welcoming and very helpful. The breakfast was GREAT!! We took a walk around Banyan Drive and while the views and area parks are beautiful, most of the hotels in the area are quite run down. We are so happy to have landed at Hilo Seaside. If we ever need a hotel in the area again, this will be our top choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the inside garden.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I have to temper this review knowing full well that this is a 2* hotel.

Issues:
- due to the humidity/age of the property, there was a constant musty smell in the room.
- people checked into the room next door at 1:45am & as the walls are thin & the windows are just levered slats, we could hear them as they settled in for the next hour.
- mattress was lumpy & slanted

Info
- Two double beds, linens are clean, can use the internet for free with a password for 2hrs/day, lots of parking.
- Location is close to everything because Hilo is small.
- has A/C & a room fan
- we got "upgraded" to a room with a view of their fish pond, vs a room with windows that overlook the guest hallway

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The room was alright; covered the basics. The hotel staff were exceptional, very friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was also quite good. As Hilo is quite damp in general, there were small insects everywhere; suffered quite a number of bites. However, I would not attribute that to the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank R R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,160 reviews

Been to Hilo Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!