“Definitely would stay again”
Review of Hilo Seaside Hotel

Hilo Seaside Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed 26 March 2009

I booked this hotel to be close to the Big Island International Marathon activities. The room was nice, bed comfy, had a frig, cable TV and a desk for my laptop. Only complaints was the small shower stall and the low flying planes on approach to Hilo airport. Obese folks would not be confortable utilizing the shower. The food was good in the restaurant but a little on the pricey side. Parking was free but limited. If you need to wash close I would suggest trying before the posted 8am laundry time. I got there at 8:05 and 2 of 3 machines were already being used. Wi-fi is available for an additional charge; I got internet via my cell carrier. The pool looked decent and has a covered patio area. The staff was very friendly. I did request no room service. The clean staff did slip a note under the door offering to service the room at a more convenient time. The hotel is nothing fancy, however, I spent my time out and about and torturing myself running the 1/2 marathon.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed 23 March 2009

If you are wanting 4-star accommodations, don't stay in Hilo.

I looked and looked and all I found were 2-star hotels. This worried me as the reviews of all the hotels in Hilo were mixed.

I wanted to write a review of this hotel, because I felt it got a bad rap from some travelers.

We reserved only 1 night at this hotel because I was unsure of what it would be like. After checking in and spending a night there, we decided to go ahead and spend a 2nd night.

We have room 27 which looked out onto the pool area. Our room was basic and, most importantly, clean. We had 2 double beds, tv, a/c, and a small fridge. The ONLY complaint that I have is that the walls are a bit thin - particularly the outside walls, so we could hear people talking at the pool or as they walked by. Not a big deal - we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyway - we were sightseeing! Also, the hotel DOES request quiet after 9pm, I believe. The pool closes at 7pm.

The airport is nearby also so the planes were alittle bothersome, but I only encountered this 1-2 times per night - sounded like they were landing right outside though. Oh well, all the other hotels in the area are going to have the same problem.

I felt safe in this hotel - there is only one entrance, which was next to the check-in, and parking was either on the street or in unpaved parking lots - it was free, so it was okay.

I would rate this hotel similar to a Motel 6 or Super 8 - it was fine basic accommodations.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2009

This stay was part of a YMT vacation tour. This was not the only filthy place we stayed, but it was the worst. The place must have been built in the 50's, and not been updated since. Our room was so musty, it knocked you over when you walked in. The room was very small with two double beds. Upon arrival I found a dirty towel on the back of the bathroom door. The very tiny shower stall had a dirt ring around the bottom, because when you showered the water filled to that point. Bathroom and bedroom were dirty to the point we didn't want to spend time there. There were no amenities. Just dirty glasses and some soap and shampoo. We ask for a coffee pot, which we got. But then after cleaning it and running clear water thru it for an hour, we gave up on using it. The picture of the exterior that YMT provided when we inquired about the trip, looked nothing like the real thing. It showed a multistory hotel beside water wit green lush yard. In truth it sat directly on a road (no front yard) across from a bay. If it was more than two stories I never saw the second story. I contacted YMT even previous to this hotel, but they never called me back, even after at least 5 calls. Others in the tour were as unhappy as we were. I could not recommend either YMT or this hotel to anyone. This is by far the worst accomodations I have ever had.

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 26 February 2009

This lodging was clean and safe in my experience there and that's ultimately all I seek. Those needs were met. The decor is very outdated and the physical look of the hotel could use a boost. My room was fine. It was nice to have the fridge in the room as well. I'm disabled and needed something to sit on while taking a shower - they immediately supplied me with a hospital-grade shower chair for use that was very clean. The staff were all friendly. Definitely not a romantic getaway kind of place - just a place to lay your head after a day out and about.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We were sure to reserve an Ocean View room. Worth the price. Very fine place to stay. All were friendly and the area is beautiful with tropical plants, pools with fish and very well maintained. Parking could be a problem during busy times, otherwise not a concern. Ken's 24/7 pancake house a block away, great place to eat. We would stay here again and recommend.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2009

I was indeed enjoying the nice Hawaii scenery in Big Island; however, the stay at this hotel stole half of the joy. We booked the reservation on the website of this hotel, partly because it has high rating in the AAA tour book (Do NOT trust AAA rating!), and partly it has special rates. However, when we checked in, these people claimed that the special rate was only for local Hawaii people. The hotel website didn't say anything when we booked it! (Believe or not, you can get the same special rate when booking from expedia or other online agents, plus fees of course). Besides the terrible internet trap, there were the following reasons that I didn't recommend this hotel to anyone who want a joyful trip.

1. The front desk people were not friendly. They treated you coldly like a police officer dealing with criminals.
2. The room service was bad. The maid didn't replace sheets and shampoo, and sometimes without towels and you had to ask for by yourself.
3. At first sight, the hotel looks decent, with nice decorations and a cute pond. But the room was dirty. We found different kinds of human/animal hairs in our bed. AC and fridge were dusty. There are mosquito or flies in the room; my girlfriend even found several spiders hovering around.

Overall, the room is overpriced. It is small and shabby; you can hardly fit your luggages in. No breakfast, or microwave; well, you can dine in its hotel (Coconut Grill), its operation hours are clumsy for a relaxing tourist, and expensive! No free internet, about 10 dollars to get the service.

Anyway, it is the worst hotel of the four hotels that I stayed in Hawaii. I could easily find a better one with a better price even in Maui.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 13 January 2009

The Hilo Seaside is adjacent to a little waveless bay, so while it is right across from salt water, it isn't on a beach, per se. This wasn't a problem for us but if you go expecting it to be against a beach based on the name, this is a good thing to know ahead of time! It is also not a luxury hotel, but rather an inexpensive, solid hotel. Larger than it seems at first, it appears to be entirely one story, with the sections of rooms broken up into different wings that are connected to each other by covered but open-air hallways, and are often arranged to have open-air courtyards between them, as well. The pool is in one of these courtyards, and though we didn't have time to do more than walk past it, it was reasonably sized and looked fairly well maintained. Our rooms faced another courtyard that was outfitted with a garden, and we found that to be an interesting novelty after having had balconies at some of the other places we stayed. The property also includes a substantial Japanese-style garden with a fish pond, tiny bridges, etc. that is viewable off the lobby. We both thought that was a lot of fun to look at, though I'm not sure patrons are permitted to actually enter.

The room was basic and somewhat retro in styling, but for the one night that we stayed there, completely serviceable. The bathrooms are definitely somewhat out of date, but we found it clean enough. We would stay here again, but more for a leg of vacation that was geared towards leaving the room for sightseeing than for one where we expected to stay around the hotel a lot.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Hilo Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!