“nothing special”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
marietta GA
“nothing special”
Reviewed 12 April 2009

First of all, HIlo is not a great beach town and the few hotels show that. The few in town are clustered on Banyan drive (where the seaside is located). At least some of the others look out over the water, which the seaside does not.
The hotel looks straight out of 1960, with it's motorcourt set up around garden courtyards, and wood paneling. I could picture the rat pack generation plying the hallways in formal hawaiian outfits or tuxedos. The hotel does not seem to have been updated much since that time, which gives it a kind of kitschy feel. It was clean, but otherwise a very unremarkable hotel. Can really say much good about it, but really cant put an emphasis on particular bad things either.
One gripe - the cost. I paid an internet rate of $73, and was not able to even get anything cheaper through online bidding. The hotel seemed almost empty when i was there for one night before flying out the next morning, so was kind of surprised by the price. Due to the fact there are so few hotels in HIlo, it is hard to say if this is a good bargan or not. For any other location, this would be priced too high, but most of Hawaii is overpriced compared to other parts of the country.
it is very close to the airport so if you just need a place to stay for one night before an early flight, it is appropriate. but dont expect much and you wont be dissapointed

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Korean first
Arkansas
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Our tour group arrived very late in the afternoon, only stayed one night, and left early the next morning so ti is difficult to rate this hotel. It seem fine, except they offer no coffee for the rooms.

• Stayed March 2009
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We stayed at the Hilo Seaside for two nights in March 2009. Stayed here because Priceline put us here for $60/night plus taxes and fees.

The Hilo Seaside Hotel is a basic, but somewhat dated hotel. Nice features included the availability of coin laundry service, the koi carp pond, and the refrigerator in the room. The hotel lies near two main streets in Hilo and the landing path for the airport so night time noise can be problematic. Parking can also be an issue as it seems that the hotel doesn't deal with the locals who park in its lot to go to the nearby brackish pond. We did have to park on street once. Basic restaurant attached to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed 26 March 2009

This is basically a no frills hotel. It has very outdated rooms but the beds are decent, the TV has enough stations, but it is straight out of the 70s. The front desk staff are barely decent some clerks are friendly most are not. The restaurant in the hotel is definetly not worth the money. Take a walk to Kens Pancake House or to SOMBAT the Thai restaurant or many of the restaurant within walking distance. Do not waste your time or money in the hotel. It is good just to sleep only. After about 7 am you will be awaken by planes flying overhead.

For the price $70 ish it is good. But it has got to be lower than a 1 star. If you are going sightseeing for most of your time and just need a place to lay your head then this place will do. If you are trying to relax this is not the place.

The location is pretty good though especially if you have a car. It's an 8 minute drive to downtown and right off the major highway to get to Kona, the Macadamia nut factory and Volcano national park. You can drive everywhere on this island so don't waste your money on the tours unless you're paying to go to Kona. Otherwise everything is close enough together and most do not have entry fees. If you take the tours especially with a family you are getting ripped off. You must go to Big Island Candies. They give free samples and even for a non-candy and sweets fan this place was awesome.

Get there earlier in the day because let me tell you if a japaneese tourbus gets their before you, you are in trouble. They know a good thing when they tast it. Plus you get free samples of kona coffee.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed 26 March 2009

I booked this hotel to be close to the Big Island International Marathon activities. The room was nice, bed comfy, had a frig, cable TV and a desk for my laptop. Only complaints was the small shower stall and the low flying planes on approach to Hilo airport. Obese folks would not be confortable utilizing the shower. The food was good in the restaurant but a little on the pricey side. Parking was free but limited. If you need to wash close I would suggest trying before the posted 8am laundry time. I got there at 8:05 and 2 of 3 machines were already being used. Wi-fi is available for an additional charge; I got internet via my cell carrier. The pool looked decent and has a covered patio area. The staff was very friendly. I did request no room service. The clean staff did slip a note under the door offering to service the room at a more convenient time. The hotel is nothing fancy, however, I spent my time out and about and torturing myself running the 1/2 marathon.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 23 March 2009

If you are wanting 4-star accommodations, don't stay in Hilo.

I looked and looked and all I found were 2-star hotels. This worried me as the reviews of all the hotels in Hilo were mixed.

I wanted to write a review of this hotel, because I felt it got a bad rap from some travelers.

We reserved only 1 night at this hotel because I was unsure of what it would be like. After checking in and spending a night there, we decided to go ahead and spend a 2nd night.

We have room 27 which looked out onto the pool area. Our room was basic and, most importantly, clean. We had 2 double beds, tv, a/c, and a small fridge. The ONLY complaint that I have is that the walls are a bit thin - particularly the outside walls, so we could hear people talking at the pool or as they walked by. Not a big deal - we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyway - we were sightseeing! Also, the hotel DOES request quiet after 9pm, I believe. The pool closes at 7pm.

The airport is nearby also so the planes were alittle bothersome, but I only encountered this 1-2 times per night - sounded like they were landing right outside though. Oh well, all the other hotels in the area are going to have the same problem.

I felt safe in this hotel - there is only one entrance, which was next to the check-in, and parking was either on the street or in unpaved parking lots - it was free, so it was okay.

I would rate this hotel similar to a Motel 6 or Super 8 - it was fine basic accommodations.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 27 February 2009

This stay was part of a YMT vacation tour. This was not the only filthy place we stayed, but it was the worst. The place must have been built in the 50's, and not been updated since. Our room was so musty, it knocked you over when you walked in. The room was very small with two double beds. Upon arrival I found a dirty towel on the back of the bathroom door. The very tiny shower stall had a dirt ring around the bottom, because when you showered the water filled to that point. Bathroom and bedroom were dirty to the point we didn't want to spend time there. There were no amenities. Just dirty glasses and some soap and shampoo. We ask for a coffee pot, which we got. But then after cleaning it and running clear water thru it for an hour, we gave up on using it. The picture of the exterior that YMT provided when we inquired about the trip, looked nothing like the real thing. It showed a multistory hotel beside water wit green lush yard. In truth it sat directly on a road (no front yard) across from a bay. If it was more than two stories I never saw the second story. I contacted YMT even previous to this hotel, but they never called me back, even after at least 5 calls. Others in the tour were as unhappy as we were. I could not recommend either YMT or this hotel to anyone. This is by far the worst accomodations I have ever had.

• Stayed February 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano

Been to Hilo Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!