“Friendly”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Oakland, California
“Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2006

I just returned from a vacation on the Big Island of Hawaii. I wanted to see the Volcano National Park and decided to stay in Hilo for a few nights. I stayed at the Hilo Seaside Hotel, a Hawaiian family owned Hotel. The best part of this hotel is the friendliness of the hotel staff. The hotel was extremely clean and pleasant. I would stay here again...

3 Thank JONAS101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Korean first
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2006

I recently spent 3 nights at the Hilo Seaside Hotel. Since I was by myself and my goal was for a cheap place to just sleep and shower in, it was OK. My room was very small, but clean and comfortable. Unfortunately, it was also very noisy. The walls are paper thin and you hear "everything" that's going on around you. It's definitely not a place to spend your honeymoon night. In addition, the airport is practically next door and the building shakes when planes are landing. Even so, if you're just looking for a simple room that's very convenient to Volcanoes National Park, it's not a bad deal. If you require anything more, I suggest you stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank chs1965
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2005

The motel looked nice when I pulled up to the lobby. Everyone at the front desk was nice and friendly, although they did not advise me where there was parking. There is a very small parking lot, it holds only 8-9 cars. One night I had to park down the road at the beach park parking lot. My room was clean. They have old keyed doors with a deadbolt. I had to lift up on the door to even lock the deadbolt. Even though my door was shut, I could still see light all the way around the door frame. I didn't feel very safe at all. The sliding glass door to the balcony would not lock. Next to the sliding glass door were glass levoured windows, these let in every sound from the street, airport and the loud guy on the balcony next to mine. And these windows don't lock. The only problem in the bathroom was the showerhead. Now this is not that bad if you're short, but I'm 5'8" and it only came up to the bottom of my neck. Too short for almost everyone! The location of the motel is great, but I would never stay here there again.

• Stayed October 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Hilo hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2005

Just stayed here and it is a nice setting for walking around. It is however away from the town and they could use a shuttle to take people there.

Room was clean and suitable, nice garden outside. The restaurant has apparently improved and lunch, breakfast and dinner that we had there were all good. Service was typical Hawaiian-hang loose (slow).

Stayed September 2005
6 Thank kas1950
Kea'au, HI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2005

I stayed at the Hilo Seaside for 3 weeks and I never had a problem with my room and the friendly staff. My house escrow was scheduled to close in a week, but it was delayed for 2 weeks. The place was economical, clean, and conveniently located for my situation with my two sons. I had wonderful help from the front desk all the time. Since I had just moved to Hilo from Oahu, everyone made an extra effort to help me find my way around town. If you are visiting and want an inexpensive and family-oriented place to stay, then stay at the Hilo Seaside.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank rbes_keaau_hawaii
St. Albert
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2005

I had booked a 3 night stay before I read the reviews and was concerned as to what awaited us.

I should not have worried. The rooms are small, the hotel does not have an elevator and almost nothing in the way of facilites: just a dining room. Parking is on the adjoining street. All we wanted was a clean, air-con room and that is what we got. The staff were friendly but not obsequious or phoney, particularly the morning dining room staff. The food is acceptable and the dinner portions are huge.

The location is good for trips to Volcano National Park or the windward side of the island but it would be tough to find things to do for more than 3 days.

I give it four stars because it meets our needs, not because it has 4 star facilites,We would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank David C
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2005

We stayed 3 nights at this Hilo Seaside Hotel. The hotel did not have hot water the first night. The room had mold around the A/C and the window. The bathtub was dirty and mold had formed around the drain.

The hotel does not have enough parking so we had to go hunt for parking every night on the streets.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,144 reviews

Been to Hilo Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!