“Reliable, clean and wonderful staff!”
Review of Arnott's Lodge

and 1 more site!
Arnott's Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I have been visiting Arnott's intermittently over the past 15 years. Arnott's continues to be the best place to stay in Hilo to launch any of your Big Island Adventures, explore sleepy Hilo Town, or to just relax and get away from it all.

The staff are always friendly and exhibit the Aloha that many of the other places in Hilo have lost. You get treated like a local here, like an old friend returning for a visit. Arnott has made small improvements, including the eco-friendly lighting, free internet, etc.

Perhaps the only complaint I would have would be regarding the work-stay staff. The outsiders who occasionally do work exchange do not understand the Aloha Spirit and can detract from the positive experience at Arnott's. The one gentleman in particular harasses the female staff and is a bit curt and unhelpful to guests. Keep the part time help making beds and not working reception!!!

I would recommend Arnott's for those who are coming to Hawaii to EXPERIENCE Hawaii and not just see it from the balcony of your hotel. I always meet other returning customers...that should say enough! ~

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank volcanovaulter

Reviewed 15 March 2011

I would rather pay a bit more for a tour, then staying at such a disgusting place again! Except for Annette - she had the ALOHA-Spirit - everyone else was unfriendly. The bathroom hasn't been cleaned for a long time, the bin ran over, the toilett was clogged ...
I booked unfortunatly 5 nights up front. Everyone else stayed only for one night and left in a hurry

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank c_s047
Arnotts, General Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2011

I apologize for your bad experience here. We are undergoing extensive changes here at Arnott's Lodge. One of the changes is a complete change in our front desk and housekeeping staff. You were most likely here in the midst of the switch. We have hired staff with a keen eye for detail and cleanliness and the Aloha Spirit. We are also moving away from the dorm type rooms and instead having shared rooms. With fresh faces and new start, we'd like you to come back again and tell us how you like the changes. Oh...but one thing hasn't changed... I'm still here. Annette

Reviewed 3 December 2010

Although everybody I had ever spoken to before actually getting there said it was a terrible place, I thought it wasn't. Partly that might be, because I came when nobody else was there. I had a WHOLE DORM for myself, inclusive of the bathroom. It was clean and very big. Don't know if it's nice though when it's full of people. But the beds are good quality and there's room to put your stuff.
The location of the place is amazing too, it's just 5 minutes on foot away from a wonderful secluded beach, really liked that.
The excursions they do are good too, though it depends a bit on your guide. Whoever took us to Mauna Kea wasn't actually the best guide ever... really lost his interest in his job years ago... But the tour to the lava flow was REALLY COOL! GREAT GUIDE THERE!
Reception staff varies... some have no clue at all about anything, others are wonderful and helpful all the time...
Really, I think it's definitely worth a try, especially in the off-season!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Sirup

Thank you for your review. We are always trying to improve our tours and your feedback on the Mauna Kea tour is important to us. We hope to see you again!!

Reviewed 14 October 2010

I had booked 2 of the tours through Arnott's Lodge so I thought it would be easier to stay there on the night between the 2 tours. When I arrived at the hostel I was informed by the rude and surly receptionist that my trip to the Volcano NP tomorrow was cancelled as I was the only 1 booked on it. As this was the reason I had gone to The Big Island I spent all afternoon on the outdated computers trying to book myself on another trip. The dorm where I was supposed to be staying was filthy and mouldy, and was dark with hardly any natural light come from the small slat window. The dorm rooms were supposed to be secure as a swip card was needed for access but the kitchen in my block was also the kitchen for the people camping, so anyone could have had access into my dorm at anytime of day or night. The room was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to sit on the bed. I went off on the Mauna Kea trip and when I returned I decided I couldn't stay at this hostel so I called a taxi to take me to the hostel in town. As I was waiting for the taxi Doug Arnott the owner came out to speak to me to find out why I was leaving. I'm not sure where he came from or how he knew I was leaving as the reception was closed. I told him about the rooms and my trip being cancelled so I was going to stay some place else. He said that my trip wasn't cancelled and I should never have been told that. He then wanted to know who had told me that and said he would sack her in the morning. To give him his due he refunded the cost of the room for the night, which I never asked him to do. If I was to go back to Hilo I would not stay in this hostel, I was go back to the Hilo Bay Hostel in the centre of town which is in a different league to Arnott's Lodge.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank lulubear74

I apologize for your bad experience here. We are undergoing many improvements here at Arnott's Lodge. One of them being a whole new staff with the aloha spirit and an eye for cleanliness. The owner is correct, your tour never should have been canceled and I am sorry for that. We hope with this new staff and training, we will be able to show you the true aloha spirit.

Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at Arnott's for four night and took advantage of several tours they have available at discounted rates for their guest. The lodge is no frills but Doug and all the staff make you feel right at home.

We stayed in a private room that had access to a central living room and kitchen. You won't find a TV or phone in the room but they were clean and comfortable. They furnish a small refrigerator, coffee maker and hair dryer so you have some of the ammenities of a larger hotel. There is no daily maid service but you can exchange towels as needed.

I would recomend getting a rental car because the lodge is not close to very many restaurants. We found two within walking distance but with our schedule neither was open when we had time to eat. The lodge has bicycles for rent if you want to venture into town for the day for shopping, dining or sightseeing. It was an easy ride of about 4 miles.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KayBees54946

Thank you for your honest review. We do have a free county run bus service that stops on the corner of the main road 6 days a week (excluding holidays). But your idea of a bike ride into town seems the favorite amongst our guests.
We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 20 September 2010

Well, if you've ever wanted to see the Big Island, you've probably been attracted by the volcanoes, the observatory, the turtles swimming with you at the beeches, the waterfalls and mostly the gentler village-style living in alternative to the big hotel, or the big tourist trap.

We stayed for four nights in one of Arnott's private rooms. Comfortable, well equipped with towels and toiletries for the private bath we had. And there were enough utensils to cook two or three meals during our stay. Not that we really needed too , but it helped :-)

They treated us to a free meal on Saturday and accommodated our every question about the island and everything else we had to ask, ordering cabs and arranging tours each day. What more could you ask from a perfect concierge? (Also, when was the last time you stayed anyway with a concierge who was even decent? Been a while for me!)

You don't have to take any trips, you don't have to eat the meal, or use their cheap rental bikes, laundry facility or take their advice on where to eat or tan or swim. If you didn't, you'd still be comfortable paying twice what they ask for what you get.

But, if you are on the BIg Island you probably do want to adventure a little more so you'll ask, you might take a tour or two they offer, and then you'll really appreciate the home-like comfort when you get back from the day out. And that's when this place sings!

We took the Volcano tour, and it was stunningly good. Such a knowledgable guide! And Arnotts arranges special pricing for those staying at the lodge. I lack the writing skills to do this review justice.

You should be swept away by what I'm describing here, because you get something quite memorable from time spent there. Far, far more than what you pay for.

We'd go back without reservation. We recommend you go too!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Everyday, we are trying to improve our place for the guests. We hope to see you again soon!!

Reviewed 26 August 2010

I was fortunate enough to stay at Arnotts Lodge for 4 nights this month and had a fantastic time!

The rates are extremely fair, lovely staff that make you feel part of the ohana (Hawaiian family) and knowledgeable and enthusiastic adventure guides. I'll certainly be back- a big thanks to Doug and his staff for making us feel so welcome and providing such great value. Can't wait to come back and visit!

We experienced 3 fantastic tours through Arnotts, again at excellent value. Mauna Kea sunset, waterfalls and the lava hike.

Thanks again for a terrific stay!!! Maholo!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Aloha (or should I say G'day),
Thank you for the wonderful compliments. Its you, our guests, that makes us who we are. We are trying to improve every day and try to instill the aloha spirit in everyone. You are ohana now, so we'll expect you back.
A hui hou (until we meet again).

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to Arnott's Lodge? Share your experiences!