“Friendly Staff”

Ranked #3 of 11 Speciality Lodging in Hilo
Perth, Australia
“Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights and had a great time. The staff were very friendly. As we arrived with no knowledge or plans the manager sat down with us and gave us a rundown of all the good things to do. We did some great stuff like see volcano valley, some terrific waterfalls and star gazing on manua kea( they do it there every night). The breakfast was toast fruit and cake, the fruit was freh (my partner vouches for the cakes,as i am gluten free). The room was big and we found the bed comfortable. Wifi was only in the common areas. No real complaints, good value for money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at the wild ginger inn for about five nights in their camping area and my opinion of the place fell quickly. The place is run by a family of at least 6 or 7 related people who seemed friendly at first but suddenly they became easily annoyed with me: one night I returned to the hotel after 8 at night and, finding the door locked according to their quiet policy, I needed to knock. The woman who let me in was incredibly rude and chewed me out for being loud. Each night the termites would swarm around indoor lights and so the management would turn the lights off everywhere even if I was using the kitchen to cook my dinner. The hallways were so slanted from years of termite damage that you literally could lose your balance. I was often asked rudely to be quiet while talking with other guests after dinner, though guests in nicer rooms than I were allowed to blare their TVs loudly all night long. The impression I got was that I was treated badly because I am a young traveler that they looked down on.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Marie618

Travellers are raving about these Hilo hotels

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a reservation for 2 nights, but left after the first night.

We stayed 3 other places around the island for about the same price. All 3 other places (hotels and a hostel) were very nice, clean and comfortable! The Wild Ginger Inn was NOT.

The worst part was the termites. Lights all around the hotel need to be turned off at sunset (7 pm) or the termites will start to swarm. Thank goodness we were at the tail-end of termite breeding season, or we would have slept in the rental car. Even though we had lights out at 7, there were still a couple of termites flying around. We were searching/calling other places to stay by headlamp, but stuck it out for the night.

The water tasted terrible. Breakfast didn't look appetizing at all, so we didn't bother.

The room was very small, which was okay, but for the price, we expected a little more space. There were 3 girls with 3 bags, and there wasn't room for all of to have our bags open. We didn't use the tiny closet space because it was covered in spider webs with a few spiders and dust.

There was free wifi, but we couldn't get it to work.

We couldn't wait to leave!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lisa M
York PA
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This place was nice because it was cheap (relative in Hawaii) but the pictures on their website must be about ten years old. The place was antiquated to say the least. There was a free continental breakfast that quite honestly looked awful - we went out to breakfast each day instead of eating the free food. Having said this, being in Hilo was awesome because we had a rental car and could drive around the island, we were 30 miles from Volcanoes National Park and only a couple of hours to anything on the island. We used this place for a cheap place to stay...we got up early and went out and then came back just to sleep.

Room Tip: not sure there are any "good" rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here initially for 3 nights and then went back for more a few weeks later. I was staying in their camping area in the back for their ridiculously cheap rate of....$12 per night! Can't be beat. Excellent location, great kitchen area, comfortable place to throw a tent. Their main lobby area is a very comfortable place to hang out and meet people. Al is great. Manager David is really great, a very professional and welcoming person who made my stay quite enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Madelaine M
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 May 2014

First, the positive. The room rate was relatively cheap. Breakfast being included was nice, although there could have been a couple more options besides toast and papaya. The owner of the place was pretty friendly, as was the guy at the reception area.

On the other hand, there was plenty of bad to go around. Some windows couldn't be closed, so it was very loud at night due to the frogs. Ear plugs the hotel provided did help a little, however the motion detector light outside our room kept coming on in the middle of the night and waking me up, despite window curtains being closed. Also, I can't prove that it happened at this hotel but the likelihood seems high given the budget nature of the hotel and general cleanliness of the place - my wife and I were attacked by bed bugs. I'm talking over 75 bites between us, and later we spent a fortune on cleaning and inspections in hopes that we didn't bring them back home with us (we didn’t, thankfully).

I would definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not near the motion activated lights. Check your room for signs of bed bugs before br...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dkirsch78
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I brought my mother here because I thought it would be nostalgic. She was raised on a plantation on Maui in the 1930's, so I thought it would be enjoyable for her. The tiles were cracked, the towels were threadbare and didn't match, the screens had holes, it had a musty smell, and looked ready for demolition. The kids were afraid of the room. They had never stayed in such a seedy room ever before. We told management about the termites, and they said if you wait until night, they will return to the ground. Then my mother got bit by one, and started scratching. Nostalgia or not, we had to go. We told them that we were checking out immediately, and they said that we could only get a partial refund. I said "I don't care. My kids are terrified and my mom is scratching her arm from a bite." They apologized and let me talk to a manager on the phone. They said that my money would be refunded, and I could spend the night free of charge. I said "Thanks, but no thanks. I couldn't stay in a bug infested room if YOU paid ME to stay." They need to hire a tall crane with a big ball, and demolish the structures, keep the garden, and start anew. I would rather sleep on a bench in a public park

Room Tip: somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank viperdrive1963
tlcwgi, General Manager at Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Aloha, I see you've stayed almost a year ago. The hotel is under new management and as you can see from our most recent reviews who have stayed earlier this year we have made improvements. We are continuing to make these improvements interior and exterior. Mahalo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel? Share your experiences!