“Stay in an hostel at hotel prices.”

Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #3 of 11 Speciality Lodging in Hilo
Calgary, Canada
“Stay in an hostel at hotel prices.”
Reviewed 8 May 2010

The Wild Ginger is not exactly motel hell, but pretty run down for the prices charged. I got the single room for $66. Cheap for Hilo perhaps, but next time I would pay more and stay elesewhere, thank goodness my family stayed in Kona. The rooms are cleaner than the dirty and run down lobby, but are old and paper thin walls transmit noise from the other rooms. Frogs are really noisy at night, but with no a/c an open window is a must. Not sure that the windows close anyway. Hilo hotels are pricey compared to the Kona side of the island, and Hilo generally does not seem as tourist friendly as Kona. I would not bother with Hilo again except it makes for a quick trip to see lava.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank TTibbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
DALLAS,TX
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Benjamin and Lee (the owners) of The Wild Ginger Inn in Hilo, HI are some of the friendliest people I met while on the Big Island. They made me feel like I was a part of their family (in fact, at the end of my stay they referred themselves as Uncle Ben and Auntie Lee!) and were as courteous and helpful as they could have been. The inn, while not the luxurious resort was perfect for my fiancee and I as we would rather support local businesses than large corporations. The property itself is beautiful, with a large lani that opens out to their lush garden. Ben is full of stories and helpful information. If you get the chance to have breakfast with them, try one of Ben's sticky rice packets! yummy! We'll definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gsetiawan
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I traveled on my own and made one mistake.
For the time frame I was staying, I booked Hostel side. I've never had a bad experience in a Hostel...until I stayed in an amerikan hostel. This was the ONLY down side to my stay here. Now that I know better, I'd happily return and stay in my own room.

If you are looking for luxury, this is not the right place for you. If you like down to earth, "real" and good people with hospitality+, it is wonderful place to stay.
This is more suitable for the nature lover, so for me...it was fabulous.

The kiko Frogs are quite loud but pleasant to listen to during the cool evenings in the yard. When it came time for sleep, silicone earplugs worked like a charm.

The other thing I was not aware of was the need for a car. There are buses that run on the big Island, but you are truly at their mercy.

I enjoyed just sitting in the yard talking to other travelers, guests and residents. The owners are wonderful. I grew very fond of Ben, Lee, Arthur and Erma...and of course
a couple of the locals.

The Wild Ginger is located close enough to shopping, if you are staying for a few days, i suggest getting a shopper card at the Sack and Save, and getting produce at the farmers market.
You can get use of the kitchen to prepare your own food. I found a few restaurants I really liked just a few short blocks away.

The Inn may not be for everyone, especially High maintenance Americans, but for myself and those who visit every year, its a special place.

Breakfast is the only meal served to guests, yet it is a treat. You can't beat the price for Hawaii!

~kmw

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank akak8
minnesota
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Don't expect a fancy hotel here, but very clean and convenient. Great place to base for hikes and sightseeing.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joanieutah
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 8 October 2009

although the town of Hilo is not fun at all, the Wild Ginger was decently priced and we could walk to some restaurants nearby to get a bite to eat (no good restaurants in Hilo BTW...is seemed to me that meth has decimated the town). would stay there again for sure. staff were nice enough. certainly no frills, but a very good place to crash for not too much cash. perfect place to sleep in between hiking and snorkeling on that side of the island. the hiking and snorkeling over there are fabulous!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ksrich343
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 January 2009

We stayed at the Wild Ginger Inn for 5 nights in May 2008. The staff is very friendly and they make a nice fresh breakfast. Our room was basic, but pretty clean. We enjoyed our time here, it's a really relaxed atmosphere.

• Liked — The relaxed atmosphere
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2008

My wife and I stayed for one week and were greeted with a friendly welcome and morning chats over coffee every morning.

Don't let the run-down mosquito doors screen put you off, the rooms are very clean and fully serviced with cable TV, fridge, microwave, and very hot showers! Their evening "quiet" policies were very welcoming and they have ample parking space (which is a real headache on the island at other hotels). The owners even helped me with my rental car troubles without hesitation.

The location overlooks the ocean and is easily accessible once you get your bearings in Hilo. This hotel is perfect for the outdoorsy folks who need to crash after a good day's hike on the volcano.

A real down-to-earth Inn which I will definitely return to in the future.

From Mr. Sander (Canadian)

• Liked — friendly and down to earth
  • Disliked — overall appearance of building
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MrSCanada