“Beautiful grounds. Hard to find so follow GPS or map instructions closely.”

The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls
Ranked #1 of 19 Hilo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I did a road trip around the Big Island starting in Kona and wanted to stay on the north end for a night. While researching for a b&b, I stumbled upon the Inn at Kulaniapia Falls and booked it for one night. I must say that the area is breaktakingly beautiful. I took time on the property to enjoy the bamboo collection in the gardens and ate breakfast on the veranda (or lanai as they call it in Hawaii) overlooking the big waterfall.I guess this review is more for FYI and pointers so that you have all the info to decide whether it is right for you. What this place offers is plenty of nature in peaceful solitude.

1) For me, a GPS system was essential to get there and I typed in "Kulaniapia" and was lead the way by my Garmin. This place is nestled in a very secluded place If you are driving here later in the afternoon/evening, I recommend picking up dinner/snacks/water as it will be a long ways to get back out to a store. From the highway, we exited out to smaller roads and then passed by farmland to even smaller roads but soon we had a "Inn at Kulanipia" road sign that directed me where to go and I followed those signs for the rest of the way. When I arrived, I was greeted by a red Chinese style house, a Japanese pagoda and the main residence of the innkeepers. My room was on the second floor of the main residence.

2)Be advised that there is no air conditioning. This is an eco friendly property with all the electricity being generated by the scenic waterfall. We just used the ceiling fan and it worked fine for me. Those who are not heat tolerant might find it a bit uncomfortable.

3) Room and bathroom was cozy and comfortable for a bed and breakfast. Overall, I quite liked the property and would highly recommend it most for a couples retreat or any party of two travelling as the rooms are not equipped to house more than two people.

4) No televisions in the room. But yes, there is wifi on the property that you can access with your phone/ereader/tablet.

I met the inn keepers in the morning and was treated to a breakfast of Kona coffee, eggs, macadamian nut waffles, and fresh fruit. Splendid way to start my morning.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 November 2012

We stayed for 2 nights. One in a standard room and one in the pagoda. You can hear the falls all night from your room. In the main part you get your breakfast cooked for you and you can also have waffles. The room was clean with a small bathroom. The pagoda is much bigger with a living space. You have to cook your own breakfast and there are NO waffle supplies. The pagoda has one bed and you can see the falls when you are lying down. Other then the view the pagoda is not worth it. The only reason to book the pagoda would be if you intended to spend time during the day there and needed the space. Both beds had the worst pillows I have ever had the misfortune to try and sleep on. Wedges of foam like bricks with no give to them at all!!!

Room Tip: In the pagoda you have to cook your own breakfast, all other rooms it is cooked for you. Take your o...
Reviewed 19 November 2012

First I want to tell you that the views of the falls were so nice. You get breakfast made to order and you can sit outside with the falls right there. It was a great way to start the day. While we were there I wanted to go swimming in the pool at the base of the falls but there had been a tree
that fell and blocked the way. There was no other way down to it and if it is open when you go the staff will have you sign a waiver. There is also a bamboo garden that identifies the different types of bamboo in the garden.
That said, the place is about 4 1/2 miles down a private, poorly for the most part, paved road. It scared the heck out of my wife late at night going back. If we went back to Hilo, beautiful as the room and setting was, we would go someplace a lot closer to town.

1  Thank librarian81
Reviewed 14 November 2012

This is a beautiful, romantic place in a very secluded setting. The hosts are great. A real touch of Aloha in Paradise. This was our second visit. We came back because we enjoyed the first one so much!
Aloha,
Mary and Charley from Houston

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This is a very nice, well kept property. The location was great, just out of town but close enough to head in for meals. The rooms and common areas are very clean and comfortable. They have a hot breakfast, but its not gourmet. The views of the falls from the Pikake room's balcony were beautiful.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012

We stayed in the Maile room, and as the other reviews have stated, the view of the waterfall from the balcony is like nothing we've ever experienced, it is absolutely incredible. The room was basic, but beautifully decorated, it was uncluttered, but yet had everything we needed including a tall wardrobe with drawers in the bottom half, a very comfortable chair and ottoman, an extremely comfortable queen size bed, where you can listen to the waterfall while you sleep, and a large tv on the wall. It was also one of the cleanest rooms I've ever stayed in. Other than the waterfall, we really did not hear any other noise, there were no rooms above, below or next to this one, which was wonderful, and the kitchen below was very quiet other than during breakfast.

There are beautiful walking trails, one of which goes down to the waterfall, so you get a spectacular, close up view. You can swim at the bottom, but we ran out of time and unfortunately, never were able to do this. The location is somewhat, but not too far out of the way, there is a narrow, winding road to get there, but it runs through endless rows of macadamia nut trees, so you can't beat the drive there, it's amazing.

Our inn keeper was a very sweet girl named Leah who made us the most incredible breakfast I think I've ever experienced. The coffee was from a farm you pass on the way there, OK Farms, and it's fantastic (you can order it online which I plan to do), then there is a spread of various fruits which changes each day, including pineapple, papaya, oranges, etc. There are bagels, various breads, and I can't even remember everything that was laid out. On top of that, Leah made any kind of eggs you wanted, or, my favorite, macadamia nut waffles!!!

The only negative for me personally was that the bathroom really did not have space for toiletries. Like the rest of the room, it was gorgeous, Italian marble shower, and immaculately clean, but there was only one tiny shelf above the sink to have anything. We used the window sill to keep some of our stuff, so we were able to make it work. Overall, the room is a bit on the small side, but there was enough space for the 2 of us, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Maile room's balcony is closest to the waterfall and has no close neighbors, it is somewhat isol...
1  Thank InterestedTraveler21
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Recently happened to stay here and was amazed by the Scenic beauty surrounding this place. This is a cute place you would fall in love with. Affordable and very comfortable stay,great breakfast.You would hear the flow of waterfall all through the night along with a frog croaking:).

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Dolphin Bay
#1 of 7 in Hilo
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls? Share your experiences!