“Great place to stay in Hilo”
Review of Pakalana Inn

Pakalana Inn
Ranked #10 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
Provo, Utah
“Great place to stay in Hilo”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The rooms are comfortable, clean, and pleasant. They are nicely designed. The location is great. It is right in Hilo town, a one-minute walk from one of the best farmer's markets I've seen in Hawaii, and a three minute walk from a grocery store. The room has a very convenient kitchenette. We'll stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greg C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Pakalana Inn is a little difficult to find, tucked away on a quiet side street close to the farmers market. The Inn look nothing special when you approach but once inside is is really nicely decorated and finished. Some of the other reviews comment on how you have to walk upstairs as all the rooms are on the first floor but this wasnt an issue for us. Also the staircase is quite grand and wide so you can easily carry your luggage up. We stayed in Room #3 and the king size bed was just the best - soooo comfy. Room was air conditioned and we had a lovely bathroom with shower and a well equippe dkitchen with microwave and full size fridge / freezer. Communication with the owner was quick and easy and we always got a prompt answer to our questions. We WILL be staying here again when in Hilo - most definitely.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank macdogmac
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We spent two nights here upon our Hilo arrival before checking into our rental house. This was just the perfect place to get situated to this wonderful "Mayberry of the tropics" that is Hilo. Parking on the street was never a problem and we felt completely safe. Keyless entry worked just fine, got a bit confused with front door being a tad different than room door, but quickly resolved when the owner called my cell due to my several attempts. We stayed in room 5 with the two double beds that were plenty comfortable and included the small kitchen suite. Excellent bathroom with roomy shower was a nice treat. No AC, just an overhead fan, so it was a bit warm in our room, but we had a breeze with the open window. Some street noise is to be expected given the location, but not enough to disturb and things got quiet before too late in the evening. We loved coming downstairs and having breakfast at Paul's Cafe...get the eggs benedict! Although it's a separate restaurant and not part of the accommodations, how nice for convenience and a friendly gourmet breakfast. The central location of Pakalana Inn made for easy touring...Tropical Botanical Gardens, Akaka Falls, What's Shakin' lunch, Helicopter tour (airport 10 min. drive) and even heading to the Mauna Kea Visitor Center and Observatories via the Saddle road. Hilo Farmer's Market is awesome and right out the door, but have your parking situated before that gets underway. Can't beat this place for all around great value and it delivers what it promises.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RangerDanger78
Beijing
Reviewed 4 February 2014

If you want to experience the very Hawaiian stly life of a little town.For example Hilo.I can't think a place to stay better than here.All in walk distance.You could have a easy slow relax day by enjoy the town and some nice restaurants.
No front desk is a clever idea to run a small inn like this.If you book your room by their website there is a great chance you won't see the owner through all your stay.But you won't feel any inconvenience.All things done through the web.And you wiil get your code to open the doors.When you open the door after shopping at the famer's market or supermaket you will feel like back to your own apartment.And they do have housekeeping everyday.
Please notice room 5 & 6 is facing a road got a lot of traffic.We didn't care of the noise and slept very well(stayed in room6).But if this is a problem for you.You'd better chose room 1\2\3 especially room2\3.They are facing the town which are quieter.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tuotuo
Hornbeck
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Cute room in downtown Hilo. It looked like uh oh what have we done on the outside, but the inside was adorable. Very clean and neat. Has everything you need to relax and have a good nights sleep. We were very pleased. We will stay here again

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Flagey-Echezeaux, France
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is my first time staying at a Inn in downtown Hilo, my room is equipped with everything I need with a small kitchen area, it's like a suite in the heart of Hilo, which is more than what I would get from a hotel for the same price. This inn has its own charm, there is no front staff to greet you but you will run into care takers of the inn when you walked up the stairs to your room; they care about the quality of my stay and would stop by my room to make sure everything was okay, even though carrying my suitcases up those stairs were a bit strenuous, I still like the location as well as the breakfast downstairs that I would consider staying here again in the future: I would travel light and if you have a lot of luggage, this may not be the best place for you. The Inn is next to Hilo's Farmers Market, it is quite an experience to wake up to a live market next to you, you can walk around the market and it will give you a feel of how Hilo as a town feels like, especially the Aloha spirit that is still very much a part of East Hawai'i.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by how nice and simple the Pakalana Inn was. I just needed a room for the night as a stayover to start my 21-day adventure on the big island. Frankly the other options in town scared me by the reviews.

First I knew what to expect that there was no one at a "front desk" to greet me. No big deal as the confirmation email explaining everything was spot on. However to my surprise, even before I got out of the taxi, I was greeted by Paul the cafe owner who was such a sweet man and helped me with all of my heavy bags upstairs to my room and assisted when I couldn't get the room code to work. The Pakalana Inn has a GEM in Paul and his cafe!!! The food is amazing!!!

The room decor is simple and exactly what you would expect for island living. The bed, oh boy the bed, it was so comfy. I laid in it for an hour eating fresh papaya & pineapple from the market watching the sunrise over the bay listening to "life's daily travelers" below my window wishing I didn't have to leave. What a perfect little place. I stayed in quaint little room #1 named Ekahi. I will be back again soon.

~ Solo Traveler