“Hilight of our trip”

Big Island Outfitters
Ranked #31 of 46 Tours in Hilo
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Our tour with Chris was one of our favorite memories from our trip to Hawaii. We knew that we wanted to see lava during our trip to the island, and selected this trip after reading mixed reviews about the helicopter tours - we were not disappointed! Although folks in the village mentioned that the volcano has been really active, i didn't realize how lucky we were; even Chris was excited when we found the lava (always a good sign when your tour guide, who does this for a living, thinks that your tour is better than what he sees every day)! We watched the lava flow about 20 feet in the first 10 minutes and a few dozen yards during the hour that we rested, making different shapes and bursting in multiple directions. It was a unique and memorable experience.

Wear good shoes and expect a workout - we are moderately active, but the stabilizer muscles in our knees and ankles were sore for the next two days. Bring lots of water, sunscreen, and snacks! We were gone for about 8 hours (after meeting at 3:30 am).

2  Thank kellyanne084
"volcanoes"
"hawaii"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Hello travelers! Listen, you can read my earlier review from last spring, and it all stands. I just wanted to share that my last experience was so good that I decided to repeat the adventure when I returned to the Big Island this year. It was waaaay worthy. First off, the magma is flowing heavily, and at the time of this writing is much closer to the hike's entry point (about 3 miles in). Chris Arruda is as enthusiastic as they come, and connects well with participants. There were about 8 folks in the group, most European (so weird that there aren't more US folks on this adventure...I guess they are getting sunburns or attending foofy commercialized luaus...lets GO people! Life won't live itself!). Anyway, Pele was good to us and I'll attach some photos to illustrate.
Bottom line, I cannot understand why people aren't jockeying for slots on this tour. I think it's the only place in the world you can do this exact thing, the photographs are epic and its something you'll NEVER forget. Ever.
Two caveats...moderate fitness level recommended. I'm 6'8" and almost 50, and was fine. If you couldn't run a mile without coughing up a doughnut, you may consider that foofy luau instead : ) also, no smallish kids on this one.
Cheers & Carpe diem!
Kent

3  Thank Kent B
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I wasn't too sure what exactly to expect when we emailed Chris about booking a tour but it was nothing short of spectacular. When you pull up to the meeting spot to meet Chris the adrenaline starts going and you head out on an unforgettable adventure. There sin't anywhere else in the world where you can hike up to active lava flows (technically magma!). To feel the heat and watch the flows up close was amazing. Chris is very knowlegable of the history of the area and has years of experience with the volcano. If you are going to the Big Island this tour is a must do!

2  Thank vanguy28
Reviewed 15 April 2013

You must do this hike if you're visiting the big island. This was better than a helicopter tour because you get up close and personal with the flowing lava. Chris is a great guide, very informative. Must have good shoes and be able to hike a few miles.

1  Thank Karenjj1979
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My husband and I spent the last day of our honeymoon trekking into the lava with Big Island Outfitters rep Chris. It was a 6-mile, 4+ hour return hike across the recent (since 2010) lava rock to see, touch and feel the heat of active molten lava.

We had a lot of rain and blowing wind that morning, but we trekked on and made it. And Chris lead us right before the sun rose up to a recent lava break out, which was very active and bright in colour.

It was incredible. I think both my husband and I were in shock about the fact that we were so up close and in the present of this natural wonder.

No other tour or trip will give you the experience and opportunity that this one offers. It's once-in-a-lifetime and exhilirating.

2  Thank ElissaS229