“Hilo Heaven!”

Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Beautiful hotel! So open and airy, just like a Hawaiian hotel should be. We were the first to stay in a newly renovated room & it was so nice!! Big room with a beautiful view of the water. Wish we could of stayed longer, but had reservations in Kona for the rest of our vacation. The staff was so very nice. Great bar with a fabulous band. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A must to have a renovated room and water side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PIRATES
There are newer reviews for Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We ended up at this hotel during the US Government shutdown, whilst the Volcanoes National Park was closed. The reception staff were excellent and offered us a displacement rate, of $160 a night, although they had no affiliation with the previous hotel. We were most impressed.

We requested a high floor (8th) and were privy to magnificent views over Hilo Bay and Coconut Island. These rooms all have balconies.

The rooms have recently been refurbished and were comfortable, although the bathrooms are dated.

As a transit hotel it was fine. Located on Banyan Drive, you are across and adjacent to some magnificent Banyan trees planted by Cecil B DeMille, Franklin Roosevelt, Babe Ruth, King George V etc and many famous others. The Japanese Gardens are next door and Coconut Island on the Ocean Side of the Hotel.

The hotel is about 3 minutes in the car to the township.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We had a newly renovated room on the 6th floor that would compete with any nicer hotel on the mainland. Large room, new furniture, new flat screen TV, comfortable mattress, new carpet and tile, and thick drapes to made the room nice and dark. There was also a small balcony with table and chairs. The room and bathroom were both well cleaned. It is close to the airport and easy to find which is what we wanted since we were arriving in the dark after 8PM and had never been to Hilo before. Parking was no issue. The night we arrived we were able to get a spot right out front of the lobby. Like many buildings in Hawaii it has a beautiful open lobby design. Check-in and check-out were quick and with no issues. Both the lobby and cleaning staff were friendly and pleasant to deal with. Our room had a parking lot view which was fine by us since we were just here to sleep for one night. Check out is noon, which is wonderful as it allows for some morning visiting into Hilo before you have to check out. The hotel is just a short walk from Liliuokalani Gardens and Coconut Island. Without a lot of choices in the area, the price was fine for what we got. Of the true hotels in Hilo, I’d have to say this is the best. If I had known in advance how nice the room and hotel were we would have stayed an extra few days. I’ll definitely stay here next time we visit Hilo.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cwbroden
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This was a very nice hotel. I arrived on Sunday and discovered they have an all-you-can eat buffet dinner on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings for $40. It was really good with a huge variety of quality seafood and meat. It seemed to attract a lot of locals. The staff was friendly and helpful.
There's also a breakfast buffet for $18. I could eat enough there to carry through until dinner.
The Wifi cost $10.39. Don't most hotels offer it for free now?
The hotel is right on the beach with a nifty little island and a park to stroll around. There aren't a lot of restaurants within walking distance, though, so I relied on the hotel's restaurant.
Room size was good and the facilities are in good condition. I would not hesitate to stay there again or recommend it to a friend.
The only bummer was that Volcano National Park was closed because of the government shutdown and I think this hurt the hotel's business. I guess I'll have to go back some day.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the buffet dinners. You won't walk away hungry.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Forehand
Reviewed 15 October 2013

First the negative. They really have to fix the error when charging your card for a room upon check out so that people on vacation do not have to stress over any calculation errors. this happened to me twice during my stay there and it put a damper on our trip because we had to wait until the week day to fix it therefore my mom was worried all weekend and didn't rest well. The management did kindly fix the issue promptly and apologized sincerely but did not offer a discount on our room or a free breakfast or something to ease our pain.
Now the positive!!! beautiful rooms, fantastic view, great night time entertainment at the bar, very friendly people and a nice park right across from the hotel. Other than the errors our stay was excellent! the rooms are clean with a fresh smell, beds comfy. My favorite thing is the balcony with table and chairs. I highly recommend ocean view rooms, it's fantastic to wake up to and sit on the balcony to have a cup of coffee.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2013

If you are staying in Hilo this is the best place. Great views with ocean view rooms, location is convenient, food decent (especially buffets), and next to several world class parks. There are two golf courses nearby with the lowest fees in the state.

The hotel is about 45 minutes from Volcano National Park, and 10 minutes from the Hilo Airport.

Did I mention the great room prices and true-Aloha service?

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I had read some reviews, either here or on Yelp, a few months ago, when I booked at the HIlo Hawaiian, where i stayed yesterday.

Turns out it was a great place. I had only booked it for a night, as I was heading to Kona the next day but, if I had known how much we'd enjoy it, I would have skewed the trip to stay another night. The room was renovated and great, overlooking the bay. The amenities were excellent. It's not a 5 star property, but I like the non-intrusiveness of it. It's clean, well-run, and central to everything in Hilo.

The breakfast buffet was excellent, the parking was easy, the staff was friendly, and the other guests were interesting. What else could you want?

We hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: No fitness center, in case you were looking for one. Get a room facing the water.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#8 of 14 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel? Share your experiences!