“Probably the best hotel on the east side of the island”

Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Trafford
“Probably the best hotel on the east side of the island”
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Even at a two star rating, I think this is fine hotel. In fact, I'm surprised it's not a 3 star. Food was good and reasonable for the area. Tours and trips can be arranged in the lobby from a dedicated booth, I paid an extra $10 for a room that overlooks the bay, and actually thought it was worth the money. My only beef is that the internet is a bit pricy ($10 for one day, or $40 for a week) and the in-room coffee is $2 a day after the first day free. There are a lot of places next to this one, I thought this hotel was better than them all.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 April 2009

This is an older hotel, which needs updating to get 4 stars. It is clean, and the staff is very nice. The bed was fairly comfortable. The room had a mini-refrig, which is always nice. The TV was old, small, and located on the SIDE of the bed, which made viewing difficult for both partners. We got a very good price, so for one night, and for the money, I thought it was fine for our needs. I would not want to spend my whole vacation at this property.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed 30 March 2009

I have recently been back to the islands with the family and this time decided on going to Hilo to see the Volcano Park. After extensive rearch, I found that the only gig in town was the Hilo Hawaiian; all of the other hotels I researched had consistently poor reviews whereby the reviews of the Hilo Hawaiian were mostly positive.

Let me tell you; listen to the good reviews. The hotel sits on one of the most beautiul piece of land in the area with stunning views of Hilo Bay. The landscaping compliments these views and for $135 a night, the views alone are worth the cost.

I will admit that we found the property somewhat tired however, the cleanliness is on par with a hospital operating room. I can say this b/c I once ran a cleaning crew when I was younger and the attention to detail in all areas of the hotel far exceeded our expecations.

The rooms were fine; even though they were dated as well, they were very clean and well maintained. I noticed a TA Member complained about charges for extra tea and coffee in the room; we thought there was more than enough for two cups each. Water pressure was great and I know I keep saying this but the view was tremendous overlooking the water.

OK - also, I must commend the staff for being really friendly in a real sorta way; unlike other hotels where you know people are fake. I could tell that the hotel is filled with good people; especially the GM Daryle and his assistant GM Francis who we met in the lobby; we could not get over how much they wanted to accommodate our family. My wife thought they were totally cool and suggest that francis grow a mustache like daryle!

Oh, and the other areas of the property like the restaurant (tired, but great food, service, and bands!) the lounge (great Mai Tai drinks overlooking the water and band), and btw, not sure what was going on but there was this space they were renovating, maybe 5000 square feet, that looked brand new; meeting area possibly; hope it extends to other areas of the hotel.

Anyway, folks, this is Hilo - one of the rainiest parts of the country but also in the most green areas of the islands. The folks who travel here are here to see some of the most spectacular landscape in the world and not for a luxury hotel. This is why we gave this property 5-stars b/c for the cost, experience, and view......it was a superb value that is well worth your time and money for a couple of nights; a truely hawaiian experience!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Thank Mr.RideDaWave
Montana City, Montana
Reviewed 21 March 2009

This hotel has a very nice lobby, clean rooms, wonderful staff overall. The best part of it other than being nice and clean is the location, it is surronded by beauty. We loved this place. Pay the extra and get oceanfront, Well worth it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank akmoma
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 March 2009

We have been at this Hotel because we got a recommendation. Unfortunately, we don't agree at all. This hotel is totally overprized for what you get. The rooms and furniture are extremely old and our first thought when we saw it was to leave again. And they charge everything, internet access is extremely pricy, even when you bring you own laptop. You even have to buy new coffee and tea when the one in the room is consumed. Ice machines are only on every second floor und de service is the worst we had on all our trips so far.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Concerned_HI_Manager, Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2009
Dear Valued Guest and Viewers:

Aloha! I would like to apologize for your unfortunate experience during your recent stay at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel.

Let me address your concerns. We provide complimentary coffee (both regular and decaffeinated), tea, and the condiments that go along with your first cofee with us. For a small fee of $2.00 you may purchase more of the same from our friendly front desk agents. We do provide internet access by connecting to our cable provider for a fee of $9.95 for a 24 hour period in the privacy of your own room.

Although our hotel is 34 years old, we are the newest of the hotels in Hilo. Our Owners have made a commitment to improve the hotel experience and have started their refreshing plan by investing over a quarter of a million dollars in the common area restrooms, banquet, and foyer areas. We have just completed installing a new guest room key card entry system and currently we are working on a refreshment plan for the guest rooms which I'm sure you'll all enjoy real soon.

Again my apologies for failing to meet and exceed our guest's expectations. Even during these very difficult economic times our Owners are committed in providing an improved product for all of you. Hope to see all of you soon.

Take care and always live aloha.

Travellers are raving about these Hilo hotels

Northern California
Reviewed 15 March 2009

You can't beat the location on Hilo Bay. Beautiful views from the waterside rooms. This hotel is sort of stuck in a time warp, but so is Hilo, and it is refreshing in a lot of ways.

Yes, they still use actual keys for the room door locks, and okay, the furniture is somewhat dated, but it was laid back and cozy. The room was clean, had a mini fridge (had to turn it on) and a good choice of TV channels even if it was a smaller non-flat screen TV.

Staff was friendly enough, and this hotel makes a good home base for exploring this side of the Big Island and Hawaii Volcanos National Park.

Parking was a bit tight one night when I came home as there was a wedding or some event in the hotel that night but I found a spot. Tip: If it is raining, park underground and walk into the hotel from the basement level. Tip: If you don't like rain, don't come to Hilo - it is the wettest city in the USA!

I really had no problems with my stay here. It was so different from Waikiki Beach before this stop but different can be a good thing.

Very friendly bartender and some good munchies for happy hour (where locals visit also).

If you want to be pampered in a resort, then this is not the place for you. As a matter of fact, Hilo is not the place for you if that is the case.

But if you want a decent hotel with AMAZING water views with private lanais, you will be fine here.

While I was there they were redoing the flooring on the basement level with some nice stone work and some painting on that level also. I think they are starting a refurbishment on the hotel and with such an incredible and beautiful location, they can't go wrong.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
6 Thank Rush2112CA
Syracuse
Reviewed 15 March 2009

It wasn't too difficult to settle on this hotel after stopping first at "Uncle Billy's", next door, which looked like a total dump. The staff at the desk were more than accomodating. We hadn't made reservations for our one night stay. That really didn't matter, as the hotel seemed far from full, except for the three bus loads of Japanese tourists. We had a wonderful view of the harbor from our 5th floor room. The facility was clean and the beds were quite comfortable.
During breakfast the next morning my wife ordered some sort of egg concoction which she was unable to eat because of the foul odor emanating from moldy cheese mixed with the eggs. The waiter apologized profusely and offered to replace the breakfast. As we were pressed for time we declined the offer. We were then "comped" my wife's breakfast and given a discount on mine. The problem with the cheese notwithstanding, my breakfast was fine and the wait staff was absolutely terrific. We would stay here again. The price is right and the view on the oceanside is a joy to behold. There is also apparently some significant remodeling going on at the present time.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel? Share your experiences!