“Average hotel in a rainy town”

Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed 29 June 2005

My wife and I along with two other couples stayed here for two rainy days and nights in June. We ended our two week visit to Hawaii in Hilo to be close to the volcano. The lobby, views of the bay from the back of the hotel along with the neighboring gardens are nice. The parking lot view rooms we had were a little worn but clean. The staff was pleasant. We had requested king size beds but we're given doubles. We had to ask for an iron and ironing board. The ironing board was a little table top model, so good luck. The hallway on our floor smelled strongly of cigarette and cigar smoke. We did not eat in the hotel as Ken's House of Pancakes was just down the street thank goodness. Parking is free and you are very close to the airport.
All the hotels in the area look the same- very average and a little tired. Castle has purchased the hotel and maybe it will improve. For a short stay the hotel is ok as you don't have many options.
We love Hawaii but in regards to Hilo Hawaiian Hotel and the city of Hilo, been there- done that.

10  Thank pdp2
There are newer reviews for Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

Reviewed 27 June 2005

Very inexpensive, great parking; restuarant was very good. Apparently well liked by locals; was fully booked for Father's Day and was half full when we dined late in the evening. Hotel room was large, while somewhat dated it was very clean and staff were friendly. Does not have a hairdryer, but that was the only thing we missed. Would definitely recommend to anyone, beautiful location in Hilo and close enough to the National Park you can drive back and forth.

8  Thank michaeljones46
Reviewed 27 June 2005

My wife and I stayed 5 nights at the Hilo Hawaiian, using it as a base to explore Kilauea, Puna, and the Hilo area. The weather was better than we expected: 4 good days out of 5! As a starting point for our travels the hotel worked but it was incredibly nondescript, easily the least memorable place we've ever stayed in Hawaii. Neither good not bad, neither expensive nor cheap, not run down or fancy. The view across Hilo Bay was nice but not outstanding (though I did get a wonderful view of the top of Mauna Kea one morning). Maintainance people were friendly but the check-in people were extremely unfriendly. For a place that gets so few tourists (and most for only 1 night), I expected more. The pool is fine but access is weird: you can't get there from the outside walkway. The restaurant was so expensive that we didn't even try to eat there, which was a shame because Hilo is almost completely lacking in diners/lunch places (it has a grand total of 2, in fact: Dave's House of Pancakes and The Firehouse, both fairly near the hotel). The Hotel is shorefront but has no beach (neither do the other hotels), but beautiful Liliokalani park and Coconut Island are right next to it. Richardson's beach, a tiny slice of black sand beach east of hilo, was a very nice surprise we discovered and only a 5 minute drive from the hotel.
Unlike what all tourist guides say, this is probably not the best hotel in Hilo: the Naniloa makes better use of their shore location and the Hilo Hawaiian is cozier. It's certainly adequate, but nothing more.

11  Thank snowrefugees
Reviewed 13 June 2005

stayed here for 3 days in late may 2005. Price was right for an ocean view room (99.00/night). Nice view of the bay. Room was comfortable and clean. Considering there is not a lot of choices in Hilo, this was a reasonably nice hotel. Lots of free parking and relatively quiet.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank quickjaunt
Reviewed 21 May 2005

One has to have appropriate expectations for Hilo. This is not a destination city; no one in his/her right mind would fly 4000 miles to stay in this town. There are some nice little museums (Pacific Tsunami was particularly enjoyable) and a lovely Japanese garden right next door to the hotel, but the city itself is a day trip at best. I stayed here instead of Volcano to save money and in hopes of some small nightlife.

The former ambition was satisfied; the latter was not; I can't imagine what was going on when an earlier reviewer was kept up until 12:30. Last call in the lounge was about 9:30 when I was there.

The hotel itself is fine; no problems with cleanliness or service. It's certainly not a luxury property but is a perfectly decent value for the money. It's about 45 minutes to Hawaii Volcanoes. Probably wouldn't stay here again, but that's more of a reflexion on the location than the property.

• Stayed: February 2005
13  Thank YokelRidesAgain
Reviewed 29 April 2005

My wife and I stayed one night in Hilo and I chose The Hilo Hawaiian Hotel because our otherwise very reliable guide book said this is the best place to stay in Hilo. Our experience was mixed. The employees were friendly for the most part. The rooms are large and clean. The hotel is old and shows its age. Our sliding glass door would not lock which was a little irritating. There are no screen doors, so if you want the ocean breeze you must leave the door open. Since there were several birds flying around our balcony I decided to keep the door closed in fear that one would fly into our room.

After a very bad dinner in the overpriced buffett, my wife an I wanted to get to sleep early before heading to the volcano in the morning. It was then that I realized that our room was directly over the lounge area and the live music was pounding through the floor. I called the front desk about 9:30 to ask how long the music would go on and was told it would end about 12:30. I told them there was no way I could get to sleep. They promptly offered to move us to another room. They ended up moving us to a suite which was fine.

The furnishings in both the rooms were old. The suite had a very old stove and fridge. It looked like something out of the 1950s. Overall our experience was mixed. We only paid $99 so I can't complain, but I was expecting a little better foer "the best place to stay in Hilo."

• Stayed: April 2005
10  Thank VanDylan
A TripAdvisor Member
The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 April 2005

nothing really bad or good to stay about this hotel.
i stayed here over Christmas.
The staff on the check in desk were pleasant.
The corridors on the way to the rooms were rather dated, gloomy and brown in colour
The rooms - well - the previous hotel I was in was way worse so this was ok. Clean, looked over the sea.
There were ice machines and a working tv
Lifts were clean.
Nothing special but nothing bad either.

We enjoyed a buffet meal in the restaurant on the second night - the food was brilliant for the price we paid and the wait staff went out of their ways to keep pouring us the unlimited wine.

The first night we stayed there, there was a bombscare in the hotel and it was evacuated but we were in Uncle Billy's restaurant next door so it didn't matter!

If you can get it cheap, then it's great. I wouldn't pay a lot to stay here.

• Stayed: December 2004
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#8 of 14 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel? Share your experiences!