What a location! We stayed 14 nights and found it hard to leave. You're above the surfers on Honoli'i black sand beach with a great view of Hilo Bay.
1. The surfers entertain you from dawn to dusk, their numbers depending on the size of the waves.
2. The overall view is spectacular. We particularly enjoyed the cruise ships entering Hilo and departing at night lit up like gargantaun theme park rides.
3. The whales! O.K., they're seasonal, but when they're around they can disrupt the day's plans with their spouting, breaching, and tail slaps. If relaxing is part of the agenda, this is the place to do it.
Breakfasts are wonderful, and for other dining, hosts Ric and Maria know the local restaurants, some rather difficult to locate in the offset streets of Hilo, but well worth finding.
We liked Hilo a lot. We found the description in "Hawaii the Big Island Revealed," page 107, to be much too harsh. True, the town is ambivalent to tourists; for example, the Naha stone at the public library has no sign on it. If you don't know what it is, it's just a big block of black rock.
For the volcanoes, Puna district, or the Hamakua coast, Hale Kai B & B is an excellent place to start and return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront accommodations with a spectacular, panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean and Hilo Bay. Enjoy a delicious breakfast while watching surfers, dolphins, and seasonal humpback whales. Relax in the evening to the sound of the surf. Four oceanfront rooms available, each with private bathroom, free WiFi, cable TV, fresh flowers, lanai, and access to pool and hot tub. Quiet, peaceful location 2 miles north of Hilo Town, just 10 minutes to the airport. Smoke-free property. Free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Hale Kai Hawaii Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hale Kai Hawaii Hotel Hilo
- Hale Kai Hawaii b&b
- Hale Kai Hawaii Bed & Breakfast Hilo