“Don't Believe Bad Reviews”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hilo
Country Club Hawaii Condo Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Vancouver, Canada
“Don't Believe Bad Reviews”
Reviewed 23 March 2008

My partner and I stay at Country Club Condo Hotel every year and have been staying there for the last 4 Winters. When I read the "nightmare" reviews - this has not been our experience. We stay on the 5th floor, in a room without a balcony but big windows, lots of light and a nice view. The room is exceptionally quiet, any bar noise is at the other end of the hotel in the suites overlooking Banyan Drive not at the end overlooking the Hilo harbour and pool area. The hotel has seen better days that's for sure, but for a budget hotel it represents excellent value. The staff ARE friendly and the place is clean. The hotel is old and in need of repair but with the lease still in negotiation, the owners need to sort that out before they invest the money needed up upgrade the elevators and hallways.

Some rooms have been completely refurbished and are very nice. There's a mixture of Hawaiian families living at the Banyan Drive end and short and longer term tourists living at the other end. People have been returning to this hotel for years and years.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It simply cannot be beat. Lots of great walking along Banyan Drive and then through the beautiful Japanese Gardens and park a short walk from the hotel. Coconut Island has been completely redone as well.

There is lots to recommend this hotel if you're realistic about its age and the price you're paying.

• Liked — It's Location
  • Disliked — In need of refurbishing.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
new york
Reviewed 30 December 2007

I would have rated this "terrible" but save that for something truly horrible, which this was not. The earlier reviewer, who commented on being very apprehensive as they checked-in, took the elevator, and walked down the hall, only to have all turn out right once they entered their room, set the tone for our visit. The exception was that all was not okay once we turned the key in the door.

Our room was very basic, not in good repair (very dirty drapes and peeling wallpaper), and had no door safety lock, lanai sliding door lock, nor control of the AC at all - there were fan, on-off, and temp controls, all absolutely frozen in place. The view off the lanai was very nice, and there was a kitchenette and micro-wave, etc., but we just didn't feel comfortable - it was all somewhat shabby.

So after one night we check rates at another hotel in the area and found something we could happily live with, and moved.

Overall if cost is the primary motivator, and this is as good as you can do, then take it, but have very low expectations.

It may be that another room would have been a totally different experience. My impression is that each room is owned individually (it IS named a condo hotel), and perhaps it was just the owner of our room who decided to have no T.V. remote control, no clean drapes, etc.
That might be worth considering, but I don't know how you would assure
you got a conscientious owner's room when you booked or checked in.

Stayed December 2006
2 Thank bm852

Travellers are raving about these Hilo hotels

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 9 October 2007

I live in Hawaii and have stayed at various hotels in Hilo over the past several years. In my opinion, this is the best place to stay in Hilo. The rooms were very nice and clean, the staff was friendly and the prices were pretty good. It's centrally located and near the Hilo airport with a nice view of Hilo bay too.

• Liked — Great location and nice rooms!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HI_Resident
Slidell, La.
Reviewed 14 May 2007

My family and i stayed at this property April 2007. For the price you can not beat this place. The rooms we rented were clean and very nice. The staff was the best ever. Security was good with someone checking the parking lot all night. I did not hear any noise from the bar down stairs. The rooms have kitchen facilities. Don't hesitate to stay here.

• Liked — The staff, they were great!
  • Disliked — Parking lot area looked a little run down.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Family8La
Oahu, HI
Reviewed 15 January 2007

We just got back (1/14/07) from a trip to Hilo and would not recommend staying here. Being a Hawaii resident, I could tell from the parking lot that it appears that the majority of the parking stalls were occupied by residents and not visitors (very few rental cars). Although I did not ask or was told, I suspect that this property resembles a condotel (vacation rentals and residential units).
Being an experienced traveler I read the TripAdvisor reviews and the reviews identified some concerns. So, I decided to call the property directly and after speaking to a reservations employee, she assurred me that the units had all been renovated within the last year (not so); the property was a safe place and security patrolled the area at night (to me, this is a scary place at night); parking was generally not a problem - there was a bar/nightclub downstairs and that it may affect parking in the evening (loud music and people arguing in the parking lot could be clearly heard and there was no onsite parking available).
Although Banyan Drive is a prime location, there are no newly renovated accomodations (Hilo Hawaiian is okay, but I suspect the last renovation was sometime in the 80's). Today, I read in the Hilo newspaper that in the Spring of this year, the former Naniloa Hotel (now the Naniloa Volcanoes Resort) will open and have a limited number of rooms available initially and then more will become available as the renovation is completed...I can't wait. I know they will be pricey, but perhaps worth it.
I wanted to share this info so that travelers would not be disappointed with their Hilo lodging. As another reviewer indicated, contact the Hilo Police about the incidents at this property. Lastly, don't believe what the employees tell you.

Stayed January 2007

• Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bossarmani
Hawaii
Reviewed 22 October 2006

Yes, this is a budget hotel. Yes, the elevators are slow. Yes, the hallways are a little intimidating.

My honey and I needed a place to stay for one night. I'm a local, but I didn't know much about Hilo Hotels. So I went on Trip Advisor and selected the hotel with the most decent rating, the negative comments being older than all the postive new ones, at a price we were willing to afford.

Upon entering the hotel, I was shocked. It was pretty small and drab. After we got our room key we waited a good minute for the ancient elevator (there aren't more than 8 floors, where was it?). The walk down the long corridoor was kinda scarry.

Key in the door, I grimaced before I even looked....but SURPRISE!!! What a quaint little room! The decoration was a little tacky, but not in the huge-hibuscus flowers, just like a little too-decorated. But it was very nice! I felt like I wasn't at a hotel. The room didn't have the feeling that tons of people had come and gone. It just felt like I was crashing in a friend's guest room. Cozy and Quaint! Quite ideal for a snugglily evening.

We got an ocean-view room, facing the sea, over-looking the pool. The sunrise was beautiful from our room on the 4th floor.

I reccommed this hotel. It is cheap and very decent. All though the lobby and hallways are a bit intimidating, your personal room should be very nice.

• Liked — Very quaint and cozy
  • Disliked — Exterior and inner cooridoors were quesrionable
  • Tips/Secrets — request a room on a higher floor and get an ocean view! It's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank some_random_traveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Hilo Reeds Bay Hotel

Been to Country Club Hawaii Condo Hotel? Share your experiences!