“The Best!!!!”
Review of Hilo Bay Hostel

Hilo Bay Hostel
Ranked #3 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Hilo
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I have stayed in many hostels around the world, and Hilo Bay Hostel takes the cake!!
Glenda at reception is amazing, kind, sweet, and super hospitable. My bf and I stayed at HBH 2x during our 2week trip. Had we known what an incredible place we had lucked upon, we may not have gone elsewhere.
The place is a gem, and laundry for $2 a load, is insane! I have never stayed in such a friendly, no bs hostel with travellers, and job seekers of all ages living and and chilling out together.
Love, love loved it!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Where to start? The facilities themselves are FABULOUS! As my 14 yr old daughter plopped down on her bunk, she said, "MOM, you find the absolutely best and neatest places to stay!"

We had to cancel a campground plan because my daughter had to seek medical help in Hilo, so I called the Hilo Bay Hostel and found a room after a tiring, unplanned day. VERY reasonable rate for a family on 10 minute notice. We were so lucky to find vacancy at all.

Much of this old building, or at least the hostel part of it, has been lovingly restored, and what's not to LOVE about beautiful, old and worn wood? Floor, walls, HIGH ceilings, even stairwell up to the 2nd floor hostel. Kitchen was very clean and neat, and guests we shared with were all polite. LOVED the "bananas of the Big Island" poster on the wall; I had no idea of the variety.

Great ambiance overall.

Shower time is somewhat limited, but, hey, I don't mind for modern, clean showers. Wish there were more, but that's hardly a complaint for such an old building. When it was our turn, it was wonderful. We did sleep in an exterior room and LOVED the rain sound we got all night. This may have bothered some people, but we liked it and slept with windows open on a street. There was some street noise with the window open, but we weren't bothered at all.

The location was great: central, easy to find, easy access (there's no lift I saw, though, so consider that there are steps to the second floor). Just a minute's walk to the bay.

Host was very nice and interesting; it's not his first hostel, and it shows. He really likes to make people comfortable while they "live" in his hostel, no matter how short the time. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. The rest of my family felt the same.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AprilAllYear
Reviewed 28 May 2012

After spending a dreadful day and night at the hostel down the street, my friend and I decided to check out Hilo Bay Hostel to see if it was anything like the ant-infested, sketchy hostel we were currently staying at. Before we had even reached the top of the stairs, we knew there was a marked difference. Because of our terrible experience at the other hostel, the sunlight streaming down the beautifully refinished wood entryway staircase was enough to excite us. When we reached the top of the stairs, we noticed that the common area was not only clean, but the restored architecture, tasteful furniture, vintage posters decorating the walls, and the parakeets chirping in their birdcage created a warm and welcoming atmosphere for the weary traveler. My first impression of the hostel was that a lot of love, care, and attention was invested in this place.

Terry, the host, gave us the warmest greeting even though we weren't guests there yet, and showed us around the hostel. He was especially helpful with the not-so-smooth cancellation of our reservation at the other hostel and even gave us a night free to make up for the money we lost. When we arrived at Hilo Bay Hostel, our room had a cold bottle of wine waiting for us. Terry was truly delightful and went above and beyond his call of duty to make us feel comfortable so we could enjoy our vacation on the Big Island. Scott, the manager, was also around most days and was friendly and helpful as well. Without their hospitality, we would have had a miserable trip.

Other perks: there is free snorkeling gear, parking is convenient, and Terry and the other workers at the hostel are more than happy to offer advice on places to visit. There are lockers available and free wi-fi if you bring your own computer (otherwise, you will have to pay to use the computers in the common area). Tea and coffee are available 24/7. People of all ages from around the world stay at the hostel, and the environment is relaxed, safe, and comfortable. I enjoyed conversations with the other guests at the hostel.

I highly recommend Hilo Bay Hostel to anyone traveling to the Big Island!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Micah W
Reviewed 11 May 2012

The manager of this hostel, Terry, rescued my mom and I from what could have been a very bad experience. We arrived in Hilo late in the evening on our first night on the Big Island. We drove from the Kona airport, through heavy fog, and we were very tired upon our arrival in Hilo. I had originally booked a room at another hostel, but that place was so shabby they didn't even leave their outdoor lights on for us! (Hilo is a small town, so without additional illumination buildings can be nearly invisible at night). We were left wandering around downtown Hilo unable to find the hostel where we'd made a reservation.

We stumbled into Hilo Bay Hostel just before their office closed. The Hilo Bay Hostel is situated a few blocks from the waterfront, and has a very visible sign. From the street, this 1920s New England style building is charmingly lit up. Even though we didn't have a reservation, and it was well after the usual check in deadline, Terry set us up with a lovely private room and even deducted the deposit I'd lost *at the other hostel* from our bill! He made us feel right at home, and after that our whole stay was beautiful.

The Hilo Bay Hostel is definitely the cleanest hostel I've ever stayed at. The private rooms are quite spacious, and some have a view of Hilo Bay. I was also impressed by the clientele this hostel seemed to attract. There were students and backpackers, but also young families and retired professionals. The common room conversation each night was delightfully unexpected and entertaining. I'm recommending this hostel to all of my friends!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank GenevievePatterson
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here as a group who arrived in mini-vans. Parking was easy nearby. Location is great for walking around Hilo, coffee shops, waterfront, funky shops, farmer's market; there is a large supermarket a few blocks away. Hostel is quaint but with wifi and decent bath and ktichen facilities. We had fun cooking a group meal for 13. Very friendly and helpful staff. Nice, large (but comfy) public space. Kitchen and laundry have somewhat limited hours. Many rooms front a noisy street, and our room, at the back, had thin walls and a seriously throat-clearing neighbor. So bring earplugs.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jody_11
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We found Hilo Bay by accident late one night looking for a hotel in the rain. We were both tired and soaked, but I really didn't want a shared bathroom. We finally agreed, any port in a storm, and tried it. What a lovely experience. We're 65 and assumed we'd be everyone's grandparents, but no! All ages, different countries, great accommodations, big friendly kitchen and a very nice, quite private shared bathroom. My horizons have expanded!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JudyAndMikeChicago
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I've stayed at a few hostels around the Big Island, and Hilo Bay Hostel was one of the best ones! I went there 2 days before my reservation, drenched in rain, and Terry the manager made sure I felt right at home. He made the checking-in process as easy as possible and set me up with a cup of tea =) He's very service-oriented, and really works with you to make sure you have a great stay. The hostel has cool decor (wood paneling, vintage posters/signs), and the bathrooms, kitchen, and rooms were clean. There's free wifi and free parking across the street, and the hostel is in walking distance to many stores and restaurants. Everyone I've met here, both guests and staff, has been incredibly nice. They do lock up the kitchen at 945pm and turn off the lights in the lobby by 10pm, so plan accordingly! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo