“Nice hostel with very friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilo Bay Hostel

and 1 more site!
Hilo Bay Hostel
“Nice hostel with very friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Staff was really friendly and explained all possibilities of sightseeing. Additional we got a bottle of wine as a welcoming present. They had good recommendations for restaurants and wanted to let guests know that they are really welcome and get any support needed. We felt good there.

We had a private room with two double beds. Really high ceilings and big rooms and our own bathroom. Everything was clean. Unfortunately when I opened a drawer two roaches ran out, really disgusting and ants were on the bathroomfloor. The rooms seemed to be really clean but at least not enough, perhaps it is a problem cause of the climate there. The beds were another negative aspect, they were so hard that it was really hard to get sleep. We slept in one bed and rolled during the night into the middle because the bed was already formed in the middle. Our bed needed a new mattress. There are windows to the floors and we had the only room with no curtains so that the light of the floor lighted our whole room. It was not possible to switch off the light on the floor so that I had to sleep with an eyemask.

We did not used the kitchen but it was clean and neat.

Unfortunately it rained every day and a lot so that we were happy to leave Hilo but the hostel was okay.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Silviena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Amherst, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

The hostel is located in downtown Hilo where all the fun and activities are within a 10 minutes walk. The place itself reminded me of a 19th century Victorian style English home, fit with all the modern technologies of course (wifi, hot water, spacious kitchen). The owner of the hostel is an awesome dude with a very generous soul. We were walk-ins and he gave us a discount, let us bring a couple of beers into the common areas/lobby, and even gave us a bottle of merlot upon checkout!

The other guests are mostly backpackers in the 20-28 age group who are trekking around Hawaii. We were only there one night but met some interesting people who shared the evening with us. The hostel itself is very clean and offers many tour options and things to do around the area.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ye L
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Quick check-in....they knew who I was and made me feel welcome as soon as I walked up the stairs. This place was clean and organized. The "regulars" gave a homey feeling to the place and the passers through brought excitement of travel that a pit-stop on the Big Island will fill anyone with. It's well located near Hilo Bay,free parking for those with rental cars,and many restaurants. This was my first stay in a Hostel and my experience here has inspired me to stay in more hostels while Travelling the world.

Room Tip: If available the private rooms would be perfect for families or anyone needing a little more privacy...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank wannatraveller
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

I loved this place, it is an old restored building so it has a lot of characters, starting with a wide stairway entrance. The bunk beds had a double bed on the bottom so if you got one of those, it was a real treat. I felt safe and secure there. The people staying there were around 30+ age range, which is a lot older than many other hostels I have stayed in recently. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would definately recommend others stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

The living/communal areas of the hostel were fantastic - old-school, reminds one of a 1920's British hunting lodge (or something!), they have free coffee, tea, WiFi and surprised us with help with things like doing our washing whilst we were out (so we didn't have to wait around). When we came back a second time they even gave us a bottle of wine and some soft drinks in our fridge! We saved a lot of money staying in this hostel rather than a hotel, not only because the hostel was cheap, but because the location means you have access to remarkably cheap food (both take-out and supermarkets). Finally, I would recommend this to couples or pairs of people if they were normally going to get a hotel, it's a much better experience - hotel staff in Hilo are very "cold" in terms of customer service in my experience!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

Sadly, my experience was not what I hoped after reading the reviews. I booked a private room, which looked very nice (but it was hot), but the bedding had many bed bugs. There were regular beg bugs, plus little red bugs, and a cockroach (which happily, was dead). I asked if I could change rooms, which was not possible, but the staff member I talked to didn't seem very sympathetic or helpful. Also they get you to give a key deposit (which is fine), but the keys can't be returned before 7am, when the office opened. They offered me a strange work around where I could return at 9pm to collect my deposit, but given there were at least 6 people leaving the hostel before 7 that morning, they really should get a better system. The bathrooms were clean, but the toilets and showers were quite cramped and lacked privacy. The plus side was that there was a good vibe in the hostel with lots of hostellers and staff getting along well together. The good vibe was unfortunately not worth it for me.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Cafelow
Oak Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

The staff and management go above and beyond the the level of service you recieve!!! The facility is very clean, as well as a centrally located for all activities on THE BIG ILSAND. Thier positive connection with the universe was very enlighting.The comman areas were well kept,relaxing, making it very easy to make friends.

Room Tip: Highly suggest obtaining room 7,great view,constant breeze not to forget GREAT SUNRISE!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel

Been to Hilo Bay Hostel? Share your experiences!