“Hostile hostel staff”
Review of Hilo Bay Hostel

Hilo Bay Hostel
Ranked #3 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Hilo
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

A mixed review for this place, the building is full of character with good communal facilities in a central downtown Hilo location with plenty of public parking. The owner is fair in his dealings with guests, however whilst 'the cat's away' some of his staff are somewhat lacking in guest relations skills and 'Aloha' welcome. I was put in a negative frame of mind by the unfriendly manner at check-in, if it wasn't for the fact they had a night's deposit in advance I'd have turned around and walked out. Just because some travellers stay in hostels does not justify rudeness, we're still paying for customer service and contributing to wages and local economy.

I wasn't the only guest who felt like a child being reprimanded by stern wardens and even a simple inquiry was treated as if it was too much effort to be polite and civil, so Hilo Bay hostel was not a place of relaxation, just as well there are plenty of sites of interest in the vicinity to stay away from the hostel during the day. One female staff member swore loudly because she had to clear a blocked sink, another complained about her job, whilst I know everyone has their off-days, it's not professional for the hospitality sector.

The dormitories were overbooked, thus crowded which contributed to stifling heat in the rooms, guests told in an uncompromising manner to move rooms, beds and some told to sleep on uncomfortable roll-aways for the same price - I witnessed one guest who made a reasonable complaint and request for a refund/discount being told by another female staff member that if she persisted in her complaint the police would be called to throw her out! The owner sensibly resolved this the next morning in a personable and tactful manner. I advise the owner review his staff and promptly enroll them on customer service skills training.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank GlobeGypsy

Reviewed 20 August 2013

True, the hostel is well located, in the center of town, near little shops, boutiques, and the ocean. There is a well equipped kitchen and fresh coffee every morning. We also had access to Wi-fi and there was a computer in the common room. But that's about it for me.

We had a private room, which was really big and had a private little fridge. That was nice. But the bed was really small (we were supposed to sleep two in this bed) and the matress was really hard. There was a small little *lit d'appoint* (small kind of bed) that we could have used but my friend just sat on it and it kind of swallows her 'cause it was so not hard.

And there were a lot of noise during the night, I wasn't able to sleep the two nights we stayed there.

When we had to leave the next day, we couldn't find anybody to give the keys back and to get our 10$ deposit back as well. There were nobody at the reception, we had to wait for nearly 20-30 minutes before someone shows up. Not cool!

Normally, I wouldn't mind all those stuff. It's a hostel, not a five stars hotel and thats fine. But the price we paid for this was ridiculous for what we had. We paid less for better rooms with private bathroom in other hotels and B&B on the Big Island. So that is why I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Junglemilie
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I just stayed for a week in a private room for 2. I couldn't have asked for a better experience from a hostel. Our room was super cute but more importantly it was clean and spacious. The best part is the staff. Everyone is really helpful, friendly, and flexible. Highly recommend and I plan on staying here anytime I am back in Hilo!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed two nights at the Hilo Bay Hostel. It's in walking distance to restaurants, the waterfront and the farmer's market.

We stayed in a shared room because there was no private room available. The shared bathroom was clean and the kitchen was fully furnished. Free wifi was available but only in the lobby.
The room was clean and included bed linen and towels. Free coffee was also included.

The room had a ceiling fan and a fan placed inside the window, but you could not keep the windows open of a night due to traffic noise so I was hot in the room. Bring earplugs!

The Hilo Bay is the best looking hostel I've ever been to! It's clean, practical and the people (staff and visitors) are friendly!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We recently stayed one night at the Hilo Bay Hostel and were very impressed. It's in a very central location in Hilo - walking distance to restaurants, the waterfront and the farmer's market.

Our host Terry was very friendly and helpful with suggestions - his recommendation for dinner at Pineapple's was fantastic and we had a great night!

We stayed in a private room with shared bathroom (as the private bathroom was already booked). The room was clean and comfortable, and included bed linen, towels and a fridge - all of which we found very handy. There was free wifi and coffee of a morning - overall we found the hostel great value for money and a very handy base for our first night.

The room had a ceiling fan and we did not find the room too hot, however you could not keep the windows open of a night due to traffic noise. However some earplugs and a noise curfew in the reception area of 10pm (which we found was adhered to) ensured we had a very pleasant sleep!

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Ye, yes and yes. A good hostel at an affordable rate with super friendly staff in a good (with a twist) location. The traffic noise in the morning from the busy intersection is a bit overwhelming but that's for being located right in the heart of Downtown Hilo. Terry is a wonderful host and his crew do an awesome job checking in guests and maintaining the place.
Oh, and the parrots, surely miss those little entertainers.
Don't miss the panaewa zoo when in Hilo and the coconut island.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed here for 5 days and loved it. Excellent facilities and a good base to see the rest of the Island. I left my watch in the showers unfortunately. After I had left Hawaii I emailed in the slim chance they had my watch. They did. The watch was a very expensive watch > $3,000 and asked then to post it for me. They did, all the way to New Zealand. Can't say enough about the hotel. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple