Hilo Bay Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
    Good 3.5/5
    All reviewsnice kitchenshower roomtwo blocksfarmers marketthe aloha spiritwithin easy walking distancehome away from homebig islandpineappledormhbhcleanlinessvolcano
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 14 June 2007

I stayed at the Hilo Bay Hostel while traveling solo on the Big Island. It was my first time staying in a hostel in a shared dorm room. I had no problems at all. The staff was friendly and the sheets and bed were clean. I was impressed to find that the showers were actually quite good. The toilets were a bit cramped though. Location in town is great. The only downer is that the dsl was super slow while I was there, and I could not really surf the net. I recommend staying here if you don't mind shared living spaces.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
    1  Thank rshu330
    Reviewed 22 March 2007

The first hostel I stayed in and I was taken surprise at how clean, friendly, and organized the place was. The staff was excellent, full of ALOHA and showed me around the hostel and provided clean sheets and free tea in the morning. Smacked right in downtown Hilo and minutes away from the Farmers Market and grocers and gift shops. I stayed for two nights and the guests consists of international travelers and students. And because you are in downtown, at nights it can get a bit loud from bars outside. The showers and seperate toilets were clean and maintained regularly. The kitchen is spacious, clean and leads you to a mini-garden lounge downstairs. Overall it was very soothing and relaxing and great people to mingle and network. I also stayed at Arnott's Lodge and have posted a comment for your review. ALOHA NUI!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
    1  Thank lil_buddah
    Reviewed 1 November 2006

Would have been good IF the room was not infested with roaches or some beetle . Bathroom looked like it really needed to be fumigated !!! The roaches were coming out from the sink and shower !!! and insects crawling on the ceiling.
    VERY noisy , club / disco music could be heard late into the night, and traffic from the main road.
    Upside- friendly staff and boarders !!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 13 September 2006

My husband and I stayed for one night at the Hilo Baby Hostel, and we were very impressed. It's a great deal, and the place was spotless. We had a private room, it was $50, and it had two double beds. The floors were hardwood, and very clean. Because we had a private room, we checked in around 4 p.m. and they gave us a key to the gate so we could come back whenever we wanted.

It looked like there were several vacant rooms and beds, and the place was quiet. There were 4 or 5 computers for using the internet, which we did not use.

The bathrooms were community bathrooms, one for men, one for women, and they looked new and remodeled. There were two sinks and one toilet in the women's side, with two showers across the hall. Again, I was impressed by the cleanliness. It was better than some hotels we've stayed in.

The people who checked us in and out were incredibly friendly. I would stay here again in a heartbeat, and I highly recommend this to other budget travelers.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    3  Thank biglerh
    A TripAdvisor Member
    Sydney Australia
    Reviewed 22 August 2005

Aussie boy finds same comforts as home.
    My name is Craig and I recently stayed at the Hilo Hostel and loved it.
    The one part of my trip I rave about. The staff and visitors made a great impression. The hostel was very clean and Kitchen huge. I have nothing negative to say about my stay.
    I have to thank the great staff for my stay so a big thanks to Lindsay, Lisa, Stanley.
    Location wise 15mins from airport, 3 mins from local bar 5 mins for food market, 3 mins from Picture theatre good value $1 after 3pm and 50c before hand. Bank across the road, laundry mat across the road open 24hrs.
    Hostel has internet facilities which were very good accessable all hours.
    Rainbow falls 15min bike ride (nice place to swim)
    The hostel may not have a soda machine but it has a good friendly atmosphere. I love my stay. I beleive it's good people that make hostel great. So a big hello to my drinking buddies Jimmy. Eric. danny, Larry and Beau. I have nothing but a good rapport to say about both the hostel and the people I met, I hope the renovations are going well.
    I will definently recommend Hilo hostel to anyone and I will be back.
    Good humour recommended for your stay,

• Stayed: July 2005