“Lovely Home in Hilo”
other travellers have booked this property
Dining in gazebo
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Dining in gazebo
Mosaic floor tiles in kitchen stove area
Interior door
Exterior
Tropical garden view to gazebo
House veranda view
Front yard access for guests
tropical landscaping
Welcome sign
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

GayLena67
Tennessee
“Lovely Home in Hilo”
Reviewed 25 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016

I choose to stay at Hale Kawehi so I could experience what it's like to live in Hilo in an authentic Hawaiian home...and I wasn't disappointed! I loved Kawehi's home and all the wonderful artifacts, art, photos and antiques she had throughout the home. One item that especially sticks in my mind is an old framed invitation to a luau in honor of a child's first birthday. And there are so many other things in the home that make it memorable. If you are looking for a quaint place to stay near downtown Hilo, then I highly recommend Hale Kawehi.
Gay Lena
Tennessee

Date of stay: April 2016
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The interesting items displayed in the home.
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Teenagers
11 May 2017
KateAnyc
“tranquil and unique”
Reviewed 5 March 2016 for a stay in September 2015

My husband and I had only a short time in Hilo and wanted to spend it in a real neighborhood rather than a hotel strip. Kawehi's guest home was beautiful, uniquely decorated and very comfortable. We wished we had more time there -- particularly just to hang out on the two lanais. On our first morning there we enjoyed buttery croissants from Kawehi with our coffee and tea as we sat in the comfy cushioned wicker love seats on the smaller lanai and watched birds flit around the garden. That night we enjoyed takeout at the dining table on the large, sheltered lanai out front listening to the rain come down. When we first arrived from the airport, Kawehi told us the route to walk downtown when we wanted to go for dinner and drinks and she had some great recommendations for where to eat. Her home is also just a short drive to Rainbow Falls.

Date of stay: September 2015
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Lounging on the lanais, the overall tranquil atmosphere
Liked least: The bedroom having two single beds separated by a table was not ideal for a married couple -- we saw that arrangement noted in the rental description, but booked anyway as everything else sounded perfect
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
pat h
“sanctuary”
Reviewed 29 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

I recently had the excellent chance to stay at Hale Kawehi. What a perfect sanctuary I found there. A most gracious hostess greeted us upon arrival and had left us some most needed and welcome snacks...basic amenities to get us started. We had come off a long drive so to find these refreshments waiting for us was my first surprise. The space provided for us was delightful....very spacious and comfortable. A true home away from home. Beautiful gardens surrounded us offering a private retreat in our very own yard. Not something one gets at a hotel. Also soothing water fountains splashing away to relax and drift off to sleep. One day, we arrived home to find a dish of sliced papaya waiting for us along with a receipe for a traditional Hawaiian dish. The papaya was picked from her very own yard....and our dinner was delicious! Again... One of those extra touches you don't find at hotels. This was a trip of a lifetime for me , however if I ever find myself in Hilo again, my first choice would be to stay at Hale Kawehi again! I highly recommend this abode!!!

Date of stay: February 2016
Liked best: the yard
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
lolay1
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“quaint”
Reviewed 10 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016

Clean, peaceful, restful, nice. Nice open living space, library space, large lanai with pune'e which makes excellent reading space.

Date of stay: February 2016
Travelling group: Extended Family
MingtheMe...
Los Osos, California
“Very gracious host and allowed us to fully relax”
Reviewed 13 January 2016 for a stay in December 2015

Second stay with Kawehi Cochrane and we plan to stay again. She was very attendant to our needs and allowed us to come and go as we saw fit.

Date of stay: December 2015
14 Jan 2016
Aloha Annette. I am looking forward to your next visit. You were super great guests. Mahalo.
Canuckgre...
Victoria, Canada
“Another great visit”
Reviewed 9 December 2015 for a stay in November 2015

We’re just back from our third visit to Hale Kawehi in Hilo. Hilo’s an interesting and different place to mix in with time on the west side, and this year we spent four nights, occupying our time with some swims on the beaches outside of town, a trip up to the volcano (which included a very worthwhile evening Hula show at the Park visitor centre), a movie at the old Palace theatre, some music at the Hilo Town tavern, coffee and treats at a couple of the many nifty coffee places downtown, a visit to the Plantation museum a little ways south of Hilo, etc. Obviously we wouldn’t have booked Hale Kawehi again unless we really liked it, and we were not disappointed. As we said in our previous review: ‘This was a wonderful base for exploring the Hilo area. The house is large and very well-equipped. It is very well set up for spending lots of time on the spacious and private lanai, which is just outside the kitchen doors and surrounded by Kawehi’s lovely garden. (There’s also a great verendah around the side of the house, with lots of comfie chairs.)We like good places to read at night, and there were several here, including a marvellous chair built for two. It has the feel of what it is, an old family home that is full of many interesting historical objects. But as others have noted, the best thing about this rental is Kawehi herself. She is warm, engaging, and very generous.’ Thanks so much, Kawehi; we hope to be back for another visit before too long.

Date of stay: November 2015
Beerlover...
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Lots of space, comfort and collectibles - Old style Hawaiian charm”
Reviewed 7 October 2015 for a stay in September 2015

We stayed in Hilo in Sept 2015 and booked this property through AirBnB property 883446.
From booking to arrival, communication with host by email was prompt and clear, including instructions on how to find the property. We got a friendly greeting and were shown around this impressive and elaborately decorated property. We were immediately taken by how much living space there was for just two people. There are two verandas, with outdoor seating and tables on each, one with large table. Next to the kitchen there is a dining area and separate lounge served by a small bar with sink. The TV is in yet another area with very comfy armchairs. There are also two toilets, one in the main bathroom opposite the bedroom.

We were surprised and disappointed to find that sleeping arrangements were two single beds, but this was something we missed when reading the description. A nice surprise though was the supply of good quality house wine on sale with an honesty box.

This property, 20min walk from the restaurants and bars of Hilo centre, is amazing at first glance and the host has put a tremendous effort into making this a palace of bric a brac and antique and interesting furniture. It has a lot of charm and you will love the place if you share the same creative and artistic tastes.

However, a downside as a guest is that you almost feel you are intruding into someone's private museum of collectibles. There are so many knickknacks that we struggled to create space for our stuff and be able to easily find it again later. There are numerous notes that instruct you about items that can't be used or touched. There are also notes left as reminders about how lights, fans etc are to be used. Whilst this is meant to be helpful and to save energy, we found them an irritation as we would have done this without being asked. The host attends the property daily to empty trash and also tidies items back to their assigned locations; even if, as a guest, you had moved them because you wanted to use them somewhere else.

Overall, this a lovely property with lots of living space that is well appointed and beautifully presented. Many people have obviously enjoyed staying here and I can very much understand why. For us, however, the experience was tarnished a little by all the notes and what we felt to be rather intrusive actions of the hostess who made us feel uncertain about our privacy. This meant we did not feel entirely free to relax and be ourselves while we were there.

Date of stay: September 2015
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The space and comfort of the furnishings. Outdoor living and indoor areas are very generous
Liked least: The single beds. The frequent notes and reminders. Uncertainty about privacy.
Older travelers
26 Oct 2015
This guest booked on Airbnb and left a similar review. She has also left this review on tripadvisor. I gave this much thought and am compelled to respond to her complaints. Firstly, the cottage is advertised with deluxe twin beds, but apparently this guest was very unhappy with the twin bed accommodation. The beds are extremely comfortable. She shoud have reviewed the listing carefully before booking. Also I have very simple, common sense house rules, one of which is to turn off fans and lights when leaving because electricity is very high in Hawaii. The lights and ceiling fans were left on all day and night. On the second day, I left a polite note asking that they turn off the fans and lights when leaving. There was a total disregard to this request and it should be noted that this is in my house rules...to turn off lights and ceiling fans when leaving.
Guests are required to agree to house rules before booking with AirBnB. The fans were on the entire time they were here. So on my housekeeping daily rounds, I would turned them off . The house has almost 2,000 sq. ft. of living area and lots of space for luggage and personal storage. She claims the house was filled with bric-a-brac and nick-knacks so they had no room for storage, etc. This is not valid. 2,000 sq. ft. is large for a vacation rental. There are lots of storage areas. The house has fine art displays and art collectibles, hardly what I consider nick-knacks. It is advertised as a home with Hawaiian artificats. This is part of the charm..... and the house is very clean and orderly. I do general trash and supply refills daily. There was no invasion of privacy. I am sorry they did not feel comfortable. But perhaps this cottage was not a good fit for them. You are coming into peoples homes. This is not a sterile hotel setting. You have to come and see for yourself. This is a lovely Hawaiian vintage setting in Hilo and I go out of my way to accommodate my guests. I have been awarded Super Host status on AirBnB so my record speaks for itself. Thank you for this opportunity to explain myself and I look forward to great relationships with my guests. Mahalo Nui Loa and have a great Hawaiian day.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.