“Perfect retreat in Hilo”
other travellers have booked this property
Dining in gazebo
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Dining in gazebo
Mosaic floor tiles in kitchen stove area
Interior door
Exterior
Tropical garden view to gazebo
House veranda view
Front yard access for guests
tropical landscaping
Welcome sign
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
1125Rock
Salinas, California
“If Privacy is important don't book here”
Reviewed 17 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Booked here for my Mom and myself and sorry we did. mom was sick the first day there. So she wanted to rest that day she was sleeping and Kawehi came in 4 times and woke my mom. Then we were lead to belive she was in a house in the back of the property but it is all together and widows are open with just a curtain so she can hear everything. No privacy and she has lots of rules and for someone with all These rules she text my cell at 6:30 am to ask if we wanted more baked goods she is very invasive did not enjoy that.

23 Aug 2016
To my viewers, please look at all of the other wonderful reviews. It is unfortunate that this guest did not appreciate this lovely guesthouse. It was problematic from onset. They booked and cancelled several times. Upon arrival, well before the check in time of 3pm, the mother in her 80's was very combative and daughter, caregiver, kept arguing so it was embarrassing and difficult to check them in. I live in my own separate house on estate and it is advertised as such. The only shared space is the covered carport in front of the guesthouse and I access it through a private area. There was no listening of conversations as daughter suggests.....ridiculous......and I did not disrupt mother 4 times. The daughter was away all day so how would she know, nor was I invasive. Guest privacy is respected. The mother and daughter were very rude throughout their stay. They did not respect the property. My house rules are very simple, typical of all vacation rentals and BnB's in Hawaii, and they blatantly disregarded all rules. The fans (7 throughout the house) AC and lights were left on 24/7...even while they were out. I even found the refrigerator door wide open when I went to pick up the trash. On the 4th day, they broke the toilet seat and claimed it was broken when they arrived. If that is the case, they went 4 days without using the bathroom....I changed the toilet seat at no charge to them. The screen doors were left open 24/7. There was absolutely nothing I could do to please them. When I suggested to turn off lights, AC and fans when they left, the daughter became very defensive/defiant. When they checked out they forgot their tote bag and it was filled with my complimentary amenities. They raided my complimentary supplies. I waited for them to return to get this tote bag but that would have been too embarrassing. Tripadvisor does not allow hosts to review their guests. I hope this response helps viewers. I think this guest would have been better situated in a handicapped hotel room. I want to assure viewers that this is a lovely guesthouse. I love sharing it with my many visitors and I will continue to be the gracious host that I am. Mahalo Nui Loa.
Richard J
Kapolei, Hawaii
“Perfect retreat in Hilo”
Reviewed 17 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016

Our son recommended that we stay at the Hale Kawehi when we came over to Hilo for his graduation so we booked three nights and wish we had the forethought to have booked more. This is a very lovely home, with plenty of room to entertain guests either inside in the large living room, oversized kitchen, or TV Room "parlor" or outside on the spacious lanai. The garden with burbling water features and melodic wind chimes quickly erases any stress you might have. Like most places in Hilo, the Coqui frogs can be a bit of an irritant, but with a full container of ear plugs in the bedroom, even the lightest sleeper should be fine. If you are looking for a place to stay and enjoy Hilo away from the bustle of town (OK, Hilo is not all that busy) while being only minutes from the city center, Hale Kawehi is an oasis of serenity you won't want to miss.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Calm and relaxing place to stay.
Liked least: Nothing, Hale Kawehi was fine in all respects.
Older travelers
25 Aug 2016
glad you enjoyed. Visit again.
GayLena67
Tennessee
“Lovely Home in Hilo”
Reviewed 25 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016

I choose to stay at Hale Kawehi so I could experience what it's like to live in Hilo in an authentic Hawaiian home...and I wasn't disappointed! I loved Kawehi's home and all the wonderful artifacts, art, photos and antiques she had throughout the home. One item that especially sticks in my mind is an old framed invitation to a luau in honor of a child's first birthday. And there are so many other things in the home that make it memorable. If you are looking for a quaint place to stay near downtown Hilo, then I highly recommend Hale Kawehi.
Gay Lena
Tennessee

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The interesting items displayed in the home.
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway Older travelers
11 May 2017
KateAnyc
“tranquil and unique”
Reviewed 5 March 2016 for a stay in September 2015

My husband and I had only a short time in Hilo and wanted to spend it in a real neighborhood rather than a hotel strip. Kawehi's guest home was beautiful, uniquely decorated and very comfortable. We wished we had more time there -- particularly just to hang out on the two lanais. On our first morning there we enjoyed buttery croissants from Kawehi with our coffee and tea as we sat in the comfy cushioned wicker love seats on the smaller lanai and watched birds flit around the garden. That night we enjoyed takeout at the dining table on the large, sheltered lanai out front listening to the rain come down. When we first arrived from the airport, Kawehi told us the route to walk downtown when we wanted to go for dinner and drinks and she had some great recommendations for where to eat. Her home is also just a short drive to Rainbow Falls.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Lounging on the lanais, the overall tranquil atmosphere
Liked least: The bedroom having two single beds separated by a table was not ideal for a married couple -- we saw that arrangement noted in the rental description, but booked anyway as everything else sounded perfect
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
pat h
“sanctuary”
Reviewed 29 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

I recently had the excellent chance to stay at Hale Kawehi. What a perfect sanctuary I found there. A most gracious hostess greeted us upon arrival and had left us some most needed and welcome snacks...basic amenities to get us started. We had come off a long drive so to find these refreshments waiting for us was my first surprise. The space provided for us was delightful....very spacious and comfortable. A true home away from home. Beautiful gardens surrounded us offering a private retreat in our very own yard. Not something one gets at a hotel. Also soothing water fountains splashing away to relax and drift off to sleep. One day, we arrived home to find a dish of sliced papaya waiting for us along with a receipe for a traditional Hawaiian dish. The papaya was picked from her very own yard....and our dinner was delicious! Again... One of those extra touches you don't find at hotels. This was a trip of a lifetime for me , however if I ever find myself in Hilo again, my first choice would be to stay at Hale Kawehi again! I highly recommend this abode!!!

Liked best: the yard
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
lolay1
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“quaint”
Reviewed 10 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016

Clean, peaceful, restful, nice. Nice open living space, library space, large lanai with pune'e which makes excellent reading space.

Travelling group: Extended Family
MingtheMe...
Los Osos, California
“Very gracious host and allowed us to fully relax”
Reviewed 13 January 2016 for a stay in December 2015

Second stay with Kawehi Cochrane and we plan to stay again. She was very attendant to our needs and allowed us to come and go as we saw fit.

14 Jan 2016
Aloha Annette. I am looking forward to your next visit. You were super great guests. Mahalo.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing