“Excellent historic restaurant”

Ranked #46 of 254 Restaurants in Hilo
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This restaurant is a little out of the way from the usual tourist haunts in Hilo, but is worth the trip. The setting is very nice -- the restaurant has its own fish ponds and there is a lovely beach across the street. We went on the early side since we had a flight to catch and had no trouble getting a table without a reservation. We shared the calamari, warabi (fiddlehead fern) salad, and several sushi rolls. The unagi (eel) was excellent. There is good local beer on tap. Prices are reasonable.

1  Thank RyanLChicago

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We went for an early dinner at 5pm, got great table by a window overlooking the back pond. We were 2 couples asked the waitress if they would do a chefs table for us and just bring us out whatever they think we should try. Started with calamari and I forget the name but it looks like fiddlehead salad, followed by garden salad or clam chowder. Everyone was raving about the clam chowder and also the delicious hot fresh bread! The entrees was the special - a "Chinese style" fish, Ono with a basil Mac pesto and a garlic sauce, the Mac nut crusted ahi and the phyllo covered shrimp. All quite tasty, I enjoyed the variety. For dessert all I can remember was the bread pudding, mmmm one of the best I've ever had! It Had sweet potato and taro in it covered in a coconut sauce. The wait staff were very attentive and service was quick.
We were one of the first tables for dinner but the place was packed when we were leaving and it was a Tuesday night.
There were so many things on the menu I would have like to try. It's more extensive than what shows up on tripadvisor link.
Would recommend!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had an amazing dinner of fresh seafood raised on the property. The owner came out and talked to us for a few minutes - he was very kind and very humble. Amazing.

The prices can be a little steep in comparison to other restuarants in Hilo, but you're not going to get anything like it somewhere else.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

From the moment I walked until I left it was a pleasurable experience. I was greeted and made welcome at the entrance . Then I was lead to my table. Minor problem was right next to the door. The food I ate Manilla clams for an appetizer they were delicious. Then I had Ono with butter garlic and capers just melted in the mouth. The dessert was three scoops of sorbet just perfect for dessert.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

"Just Down the Road" turned into a couple of miles...but it was early twilight, and we had a great deal of time and patience. Both were well rewarded at the Seaside Restaurant. We were splitting our time on Hawai'i, with first a couple of days on the Hilo side, and then a few more days on the Kona side. This was our First Meal on the Hilo side, and it was much anticipated.

Our layover in Honolulu had produced one so-so meal for refueling, and one good one for our spirits. But, until we visited the Seaside Restaurant, NO seafood. We called ahead and made reservations, but it was early in the week, and could have been easily accommodated without them. You take the place on faith, at first glance. At SECOND glance, you notice the patrons are local, and thoroughly enjoying themselves. The views, ocean-side and pondside, from inside the restaurant, were soothing to the soul.

First, the appetizers - sashimi, with plentiful portions, and freshly cut. Add a touch of wasabi, and my tongue said "Thanks, Boss, you finally got us to the RIGHT place in Hawaii". My wife opted for a more traditional fish dish, and I tried the server's suggestion - right down to the part of using my teeth and tongue to get all the fish morsels off the locally retrieved whole
baked fish. The portions were more than enough to say -- "No, thank you", when the desert selections were offered. There's "full" and there's "satisfied". We WERE very, "satisfied".

We just enjoyed the breezes, the dinner, the after-dinner drinks. The server was attentive, but not omni-present. The price for all of this was very reasonable, the drive back to Hilo not as
far as it seemed when looking for the restaurant.

I have a rule. When travelling, and staying in a place for a few days - ALWAYS choose a different place to eat, to broaden your opportunities for new discoveries. I was tempted to break Rule #1 on our THIRD evening in Hilo, but didn't. It is one of my few regrets on our trip on the Big Island - as the last meal in no way measured up to our experience, and delight, at the Seaside Restaurant - "just down the road (a piece) on Kalanianaole Ave in Hilo".

Live and learn.