“Seriously!!!!”

Happy Valley Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #185 of 252 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I really don't like to complain !!! But I think everybody should be aware!!! I had a party of 17 took three tables n one waitress for the whole restarant which yes for her was a challenge ! And we understood her delema but when we found out they charge for tea ! Hello !!!! Ask for the manager she said tea was expensive she pointed me to a special menu on wall for 8-10 people for $138 then u get tea free hello my bill was $210. An she couldn't even
provide free tea it was just .50 cents per person but seriously just that little charge an the fact that the only thing was tasty was the saltnpeper pork n charsui fry rice, I say you be a little yielding in those little things n people will be raving about your restaurant !!! Do you think we will ever go back ! Negative in fact we will be telling our friends don't ever go there ! Look what she lost just because tea is expensive !!!!

Reviewed 25 January 2013

The restaurant is local, casual. The food is great and resonably priced. Favorites are the Salt & Pepper Spare Ribs, Hong Kong Noodles, String Beans and Chicken, Braised Lamb, Honey Walnut Shrimp..... to name a few.... No need to dress up here, the family who owns and operates the restaurant is friendly and allows us to linger long after the meal is complete to socialize.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

The food is excellent and very reasonable. I took the server's recommendation of a local fish in bean sauce. It was the best fish I had during our trip. My husband had another seafood dish which was also very good. We had some non seafood appetizers which were very good as well.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

I used to love this place like 8 yrs. ago! Boy have they gotten stingy and gone down hill for their lunch buffet. Not just the food, but the owner went and took away the unlimited shrimp when they saw us go back for 2nds and they were not even out! We will not go back. Their food now looks like it is from the day before - old looking and not nice! My husband would not even eat the food. IT used to be good in the "old days". No more!

Reviewed 15 August 2012

This is a typical Cantonese-style Chinese local restaurant, however, their food quality and taste is one up from the rest. We especially love their salt 'n paper pork chops (chopped up, deep friend crispy, tasty, can be eaten hot or cold), their house special cake noodle, the sizzling steak or lamb Mongolian beef (extremely tender and tasty), any of their fish dishes (shoyu, black bean, or sweet 'n sour) and fried rices. They are pricier than those others but it's worth it.

Occasionally we've noticed the foods were slightly salty so remind the waitress "not to salty" when ordering. We wish they would put in more sliced meat and seafood in some of their dishes (like the beef tomato chow mein and more fish in all their fish dishes).

Other than that, this is the best Chinese restaurant on the island. Just look at the Chinese regulars who come here. If we don't eat here we'd have to wait to go to Honolulu or Los Angeles to get "real' authentic regional Chinese cuisine from downtown's Chinatown, Monterey Park or San Gabriel, CA.