“Fantastic!”

Leung's Chop Suey House
Ranked #159 of 247 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We were very pleasantly surprised to find this great restaurant. The food was great and very reasonably priced. It seems to be mostly a local takeout spot but we dined in and the service was excellent as well! If you're a Chinese soup fan, give the Wor wonton a try! It will not disappoint.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is our family's "go to" place for good old Cantonese food. Nothing fancy, but nothing but delicious foods like we grew up with. It is our FAVORITE!!!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have eaten at Leung's multiple times per week for 30 years. I can testify that the same staff that was there in 1978 is there now in 2014. Some new faces have shown up over the years at the front end, but there is low turnover in the kitchen at this restaurant. It is family owned, and it is not uncommon to see the members of the family picking over the green beans or wrapping the won ton at a table in front, while keeping watch over a sleeping infant in a cradle next to the table.

You can order a plate lunch from the hot and ready steam table at the front, which I mostly do. Many other restaurants in Hilo, including Chen's, Cheng's, Panda Express and New China have similar lunch service. However, Leung's food has the best flavor and quality of food. Portions are generous. Quality is only matched by Panda Express, but Leung's is a better value as portions are larger and several dollars cheaper.
You can also order off the menu and that is where the food becomes truly delicious. Order the seafood cake noodle and you will experience a treat. Very popular with the locals are the soups Wor Ton Min and Won Tun Min. You can eat there or order take away. Often if I am entertaining, I'll get the food there and then serve it to my guests on my own china. Best value!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This ugly hole in the wall of a restaurant is in my opinion the best Chinese food in Hilo. Very consistent, fresh, and reasonably priced. Love the soups. They have a steam table with a huge variety but I've always ordered off the menu. Friendly staff - usually busy.

1  Thank Hilo-Chris
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We were there at an off time, so no trouble parking. We had a big group of 11 and were seated and the food was served pretty quickly and with friendly service.

If you are expecting fancy atmosphere or gourmet selections, this isn't the place for you. But my mom is Chinese from Hawaii and these dishes hit the spot for me and were perfect. Now, we just happened to stumble up on this place (I'm not at all familiar with Hilo). Perhaps there are better options. But we were pleasantly surprised and it was perfect for us.

1  Thank Amylee H