“Fresh Ahi like it should be...”
Review of Poke to Your Taste

Poke to Your Taste
Ranked #81 of 243 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Hawaiian
Keaau, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh Ahi like it should be...”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Fresh fish can make or break your Poke. I don't care which restaurant I am in, if I order Poke or a sushi or sashimi, the fish better be fresh or I send it back and order something else. No way,no how should fish be not fresh when eaten raw!

This little restaurant had their mobile truck out at the Hawaiian Arts and Craft Fair during Merrie Monarch 2014. The Ahi was unbelievably fresh. Maybe right off the fisherman's boat down the street. It was soaking in I believe a little bit of soy sauce and just slightly chilled. They have all of their additives there for you so you can add it to your taste. A little bit of seaweed, sea salt, some more soy sauce, sesame seeds, and some spicy orange sauce. I have seen it everywhere but do not exactly know what is in it but it is hot and tasty! I dropped quite a bit of it on my ahi. Wished I had added more.

Great concept to let you add your own ingredients to make your custom Poke.

I will definitely be patronizing this little family operation again.

BTW, their white rice was cooked perfect. I am a rice snob and I hate mushy mushy rice. If rice is not made correctly, a restaurant should not serve it. Brown rice should be slightly nutty.

• Visited April 2014

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Unexpected treasure”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

So glad we stopped at this somewhat run-down looking establishment. My husband insisted since I love love love poke. I let my daughter season one batch and I did the other. Then I could not stop eating it. Nice owner. You can get a cold canned/bottled beverage, too, but this is NO FRILLS. But if you love you some poke and you're in Hilo, a pound is $15.

• Visited November 2013
Haiku, Hawaii
“Do it yourself poke...”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Wow...make it yourself poke!! I heard about this from a local on Maui & it lived up to the hype. The owner is a sweet & funny guy. He knows his poke...but if you mess it up, it's on you because you chose the ingredients. He was hilarious & thanked us for "coming to work for him." A must visit & great to make & then take to the beach. Don't expect to dine there as there is no seating. Keeps the prices low as there are also no servers to tip. You can purchase other sides or beverages (e.g. beer, boiled peanuts, sodas, etc). Stop by and say hi, the owner is such a riot.

• Visited October 2013