“Very homey with delicious subs”
Review of Amalfatano's Italian Deli - CLOSED

Amalfatano's Italian Deli
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and I stopped here on a whim thanks to some Yelp reviews and we were very happy we did. They were open on a Sunday (yay!) and although we were the only patrons in the restaurant, the owners made us feel very welcome. We were immediately given glasses of water which was great since it was boiling outside. Honestly, the experience was almost like we'd stepped back onto the mainland into my grandmother's kitchen for supper and it really hit the spot!

My husband ordered the cold cuts sub and I got the meatball sub. While we waited, we chatted with Kelly while her husband, Mario, went back into the kitchen to get started on our order. Kelly also brought out a new creation of hers for us to sample -- mango chutney cole slaw. It was great! No overwhelming mango flavor and cool and creamy. Hopefully she'll add it to the menu as a side!

Mario finished up our sandwiches and brought them over to our table. My husband dove into his and was immediately in love. My meatball sub was fantastic too. I loved how it was all from scratch and how you can actually taste that it was homemade. Ono!

If you're looking for somewhere similar to Olive Garden, this place isn't it. It's definitely a mom and pop, hole-in-the-wall type joint, but that is what gives it its charm. If we ever end up back in Hilo, we will for sure be stopping in here for some lunch again. I've got to try the pizzas next!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Best subs ever. They are just completely filled with meat. They have just a little bit of some kind of light dressing that kicks it up a bit, and the bread is just the right texture. Firm, but not so much that it is difficult to bite through or have all the insides squishing out.

Just come here when you really need an awesome sandwich.

1  Thank Zachary D
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This home style restaurant cooks to order, always fresh, reasonably priced and delicious. Their other top sellers include Real Pastrami sandwiches (they go quick.), Lasagna, and meatball subs. There is no substitute for authentic mouth watering, no talk food.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We just had lunch at Amalfatano's. There's a simple menu. Salads, subs, and pizza. Oh... the pizza....

The owner/chef makes the marinara from scratch. The pizza dough and meatballs in the meatball sub were also homemade. How do I know. It TASTES like it. You can't get the brightness and acidity of fresh marinara from a jar (or can...).

Why not five stars? The seating is quite limited. It's not in the most convenient location. And I'm trying to be objective. The atmosphere isn't going to work for everyone. But if you want really good, home-style food, this is your place. The prices were very reasonable too. A small pizza is easily enough for a two person lunch.

Amalfatano's does a lot of carryout business. I think that speaks to the appreciation customers have for the food. If you're in the area I would try have a meal here. Heck, McDonald's a two minute walk away. Just come here instead.