“A Rainy Best Day at Dolphin Bay”
Review of Dolphin Bay

Dolphin Bay
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My family and friends were coming from O'ahu for a wedding in Hilo and were looking for a "non-hotel" place to stay. What a hidden gem! Even some of the locals at the wedding haven't heard about this place. I am so glad I found this hotel on Trip Advisor. I booked the one bedroom apartment for the four of us and the price was cheaper than booking two rooms at the other Hilo hotels. Having a kitchen, hot coffee, banana bread and papaya in the morning was totally awesome! My family, friends and I will be back!

Room Tip: Our apartment had a lanai. I would also recommend checking their website to see the rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 December 2011

We came to Hawaii for a week, we showed up late in the evening and were welcomed even at a late hour. John even took the time to help us plan our next day that was to start early. The staff is very enjoyable, sociable and quite inviting. Breakfast fruit, pastry and coffee were all perfect and the grounds are quite lovely. The facilities are clean, large, comfortable and you fall to sleep listing to peeping frogs.

We will come back to the big island again, and the Dolphin Bay will be a big part of the trip we will look forward too.

Thank you again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2011

This hotel was great. The owner was helpful in picking local restaurants. The hotel had a small rainforest in the backyard (very nice setting), a full kitchen (with dishes) and some kind of pastry each morning. The rooms were well maintained. The only thing I wished were different was that the room we stayed in did not have room darkening curtains, so every morning when the sun came up, you were woken up as well. Also, I think we had room 15 and every morning if someone was a little loud at the coffee pot, you were woken up by them becasuse we left our windows open. We left our windows open because the weather was nice and the room did not have AC that I saw (so closing windows was not the best option). Rubble the cat roams the nighborhood so meeting him is difficult but when you do finally meet him, he does meow when you ask him a question. He's cute. This hotel is near the center of town but as as female I would not have wanted to walk through some of the streets that were there to get there. A good thing was free parking and a coke machine in the back of the building.

Room Tip: I think its room 15 that is directly across from the top of the stairs leading from the parking lot...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I arrived at the hotel around 11AM and John (I believe he is the manager/propietor) was very friendly and gave me a room that was ready so I could check-in early. He spent a lot of time w/ me discussing my travel plans while in Hilo. He is extremely knowledgeable and was very interested in making sure I had all the local info I needed. I cannot compliment him enough. His other staff was just as helpful and friendly.

The room had a kitchenette and was very clean. It is an older property that could use a remodel but I don't think anything in Hilo is new so it's probably as good as it gets for Hilo. It's location is as close to downtown as any property I'm aware of. It's a few blocks away in an older neighborhood. There is no a/c but there was a ceiling fan and a desk-top fan. This side of the island is cooler so it was not a problem for me.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2011

A simple hotel offering pleasant rooms in a lovely suburban type setting (convenient however to downtown Hilo) this small hotel offers excellent value.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2011

This is a best place to stay on the island! It is a casual, clean, small family owned hotel. The friendly staff are available to help you plan your visit, giving you the "inside scoop" on local restaurants, must-see sights, beaches, Volcano National Park, and the Mauna Kea Observatory. They had beach towels to lend and sweatshirts to borrow for a trip to the higher elevations to experience the dark star-filled skies. I'm still remembering the papayas, bananas, and Kona coffee available every morning. We loved the fact that it was walking distance to the downtown and farmer's market. No pretensions, just everything we needed to make our stay comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I stayed here for the month of September in one of their one bedroom units. Large, comfortable with all the amenities -and I mean all - even had glass wine glasses. Toaster broke on me, they replaced it that same day with a brand new one still in the box.
Great location 3 blocks to downtown Hilo - 9 blocks to the Farmer's Market.
In the Hotel lobby for all the guests Coffee - papaya - limes - bananas on the stock - Danish pastry ALL FREE each morning. Bring the coffee mug in your room with you ( a small plate too)
John ( the owner ) and John ( not the owner ) were fantastic hosts. The staff we friendly and always helpful. Place was clean I had a full size fridge and 30" stove in my suite - even had a blender. I picked bananas off the stock - froze them also froze fresh strawberries and had great smoothies for breakfast.
HINT: take the address and phone number of the place - go to Safeways tell them you want the card tell them you live at the address ( don't mention Dolphin Bay) One puchase with the card reduced my bill from U$80 down to U$ 60.
You will love the place I did and I will go back to Dolphin Bay Hotel!

Room Tip: Hotel rooms are nice for short stays - one bedroom fantastic for long stays They also have 2 bedro...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to Dolphin Bay? Share your experiences!