We stayed at the Dolphin Bay Hotel in Hilo for two nights in in February 2014. We were on the first floor, room #8.
The staffs are extremely friendly and helpful. At check in, the lady walked with us all the way to our room, and thoroughly explained everything: where the breakfast is (coffee, banana bread, fresh fruits at the hallway) how to access the wifi internet (which worked well from our room), how to use the kitchen.
The hotel is walking distance to the Hilo downtown, which is a plus. The room has one twin bed and one queen bed. The kitchen is small but has everything! It is fully equipped with stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator, and all of the necessary cookware.
1) The parking lot is right in front of the room, so all of the car/truck noises can be annoying. Maybe the second floor will be better?
2) There are tons of Coqui Frogs in the area. Be ready for an all-night symphony of "Coqui Frog Choir" performance - or depends how you interpret the sound (noise?) The hotel does provide ear plugs in the room :-)
3) The room has no AC. Just two fans. We didn't need it in February.. I can see this might be an issue during hotter season.
4) If you need conditioner for your hair, bring your own.
We will definitely come back to Dolphin Bay next time we visit Hilo!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Seasoned guidance for a wide range of Big Island adventures. Walking distance to downtown Hilo. Clean quiet & reasonable. All rooms with kitchens. Free WiFi Internet available. Rated nicest small hotel in Hilo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Ebookers so you can book your Dolphin Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dolphin Bay Hilo, Hawaii
- Dolphin Bay Hotel Hilo