“Great little hotel in Hilo”
Review of Dolphin Bay

Dolphin Bay
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed 26 May 2010

I spent a week in this little hotel with my two sisters and we enjoyed it. It is in a residential area of Hilo, away from the big hotels. The small kitchen allowed us to cook our meals. They furnished pastries and fresh papayas with coffee every morning. We also enjoyed sitting out on the small deck in the evening listening to the frogs. The rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The only thing I did not like was that the double bed was too soft and. I am used to a firmer mattress. I thought it was a good value and would gladly return.

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank yodasark

Reviewed 11 May 2010

Coqui frogs are loud and very numerous outside the hotel. They don't have AC, so you pretty much have to leave the windows open as you sleep to keep cool. We thought this might make it hard to sleep due to the frog noise, but I didn't find them that annoying and slept right through it. However, the birds woke me up at 5:30 with their chirping. Wouldn't have been a big deal had I used the free ear plugs. I actually enjoyed the sound of the frogs. I'm sure the locals must be sick of them, though.

The hotel staff is very friendly and offers great tips on things to do around Hilo. They were extremely helpful during our stay. We only stayed one night, but after check out we stored our bags in the lobby while we went snorkeling at Kapoho tide pools and sight seeing around town. We came back to the hotel (after checkout) to use the bathrooms and refill our water bottles and they were still very friendly and helpful even after checkout.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TWallace75
Reviewed 9 May 2010

If you want a good base to explore Big Island and if the odd tropical down pour doesn't put you off this is the place to book.
We stayed here and it was a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle we had experienced at Waikiki beach, the traffic and people noise was replaced by croaky frogs and a menagarie of insects in the lush gardens surrounding the hotel. We experienced rain but whilst we were there it rained at night and was lovely and warm in the day.
John, Annette and the other staff were all very helpful from the moment we arrived. We took the short taxi ride from the airport which cost about $20 and as I had forgotten my drivers license thought we would be stuck to get around. First night we were shown a map of Hilo and Annette showed where many of the local restaurants etc were all in walking distance and told us to speak to John in the morning about the lava flows etc. John was very knowlegable and got an island map out explaining the best places to visit, as we didnt have a car he was also able to tell us about small coach trips with Arnotts Lodge and helicopter rides over the lava flows we went with his recommendations and were not disappointed . I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to othersbut would get a car and go exploring. Close to the hotel within walking distance is the Lymen Museum, the Tsunami museum and Rainbow Falls, Our room had a small kitchen, which was well equiped and we found out there is a super market close by which we used and were given a lift back in a pick up by some friendly locals. There are some nice gift shops along the front and we found better priced than at Waikiki. Buses on the Island are free which is a bonus too if you want to get over to Kona side which is arid in comparison to Hilo side.
If you have travelled all this way you must go see the lava flows Helicopter was good but they dont fly at night when you can see them in all their glory so go and visit the flows in your car or by trip like us. Visit the observatories on Mauna Kea (4 wheeled drive is needed for the final bit from 9000 to 14000ft)
One down side was with the lushness comes the biting insects so dont forget your avon skin so soft or mozzie repellant.
If you want nightlife and discos stay in Waikiki if you want nature in all her glory go to Hilo :)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank elizathealily
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Like others comments, it is a great stay : a queen size bed for us and a full size bed for our son. All nice and clean, nice decor with lava frame, view in the garden...
the best : there is a kitchen with everything in : we can make our own meal. Safeway is about 5-10 min there.
we appreciate the garden behind and eating fresh bananas!
it is not loud for us, just nature : birds singing and frogs.
Service is great : they give us good advice for eating outside and John is very helpful, very good advices for volcanoes and see the merry monarch festival on tv!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank orchid58
Reviewed 12 April 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at Dolphin Bay on Mar. 26th, we had only booked 1 night as we had booked 2 weeks in Keahou at a time share so didn't want to double head too much. After staying the first night and attending the Saturday market I decided I could'nt leave the area. We dashed back to Dolphin Bay Resort and managed to get our same room for another night. The hotel was full so we were very lucky. The hospitality makes the stay enjoyable as well as the fresh fruit which I couldn't egt enough of. We did not walk anywhere from the hotel as we preffered to drive. We would stay there again when we are in Hilo. We stayed in a twin room, the smal;lest room they have I believe and it was adequate as we weren't in the room for long periods of time. The hotel/motel has a very Hawaiian feel to it. Once again the staff will do anything to make your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank lifebythesea44
Reviewed 21 March 2010

At first I wasn't sure about this hotel since the neighbourhood seemed a little sketchy but it turned out to be pretty nice place. The beds were a little uncomfortable but I was usually so tired I didn't notice. The staff is really helpful and seem to have a map for anything. There is also a really nice garden out back. Not a great location for walking in and around Hilo. Also, you are going to want to use the ear-plugs (they are free in each room). All of Hilo has a frog problem and they are loud!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aloha_girl2000
Reviewed 16 March 2010

We were just there and enjoyed our one night, The fresh bananas and pastries were a very adequate start for the day. We ate at the Ohana Grill down the street, and found it very good, too. The place is a little tricky to find, but the hotel's directions are good.
Would have stayed longer but plans were to go on to Volcano.
Walt and May

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kolbes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to Dolphin Bay? Share your experiences!